Undergraduate school ONLINE --> Law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ComatoseClown

Bronze

Undergraduate school ONLINE --> Law school?

Post by ComatoseClown » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm a transfer student who was accepted to UC San Diego for this fall, but my admission has now been permanently revoked. All UCs, most privates, and CSUs have already passed their deadlines. Now I'm stuck without a college for an entire year.

With that, I did much research and find that some [accredited] online schools have bachelor's programs beginning in October. These online degree schools seem to be very much flexible.

My question: Does it matter to Law schools if our UG is an Online school (WASC accredited)? (I did attend an on-campus community college for two years.) Will our GPA, say if it is a 3.8, be equated the same as say a 3.8 from a UC school?

The specific school I'm looking at is TUI University -- http://www.tuiu.edu/degreeprograms.html)
Last edited by ComatoseClown on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Undergraduate school ONLINE --> Law school?

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:I'm a transfer student who was accepted to UC San Diego for this fall, but my admission has now been permanently revoked. All UCs, most privates, and CSUs have already passed their deadlines. Now I'm stuck without a college for an entire year.

With that, I did much research and find that some [accredited] online schools have bachelor's programs beginning in October. These online degree schools seem to be very much flexible.

My question: Does it matter to Law schools if our UG is an Online school? (I did attend an on-campus community college for two years.) Will our GPA, say if it is a 3.8, be equated the same as say a 3.8 from a UC school?

The specific school I'm looking at is TUI University -- http://www.tuiu.edu/degreeprograms.html)
Why?

ComatoseClown

Bronze

Post by ComatoseClown » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:52 pm

Why what? Why do I want to go to an online school? Because I don't want to have a full year's gap in the midst of my undergrad education. I don't even have a bachelor's degree yet. With an online school I could apply two weeks before and then classes would begin two weeks later (October 4th) for the Fall session.

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm sure it matters, but there are a lot of schools that just like money. You could get in somewhere if you just wanted any law school anywhere in the country.

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:53 pm

He is asking why it got revoked, hence the bolding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ComatoseClown

Bronze

Post by ComatoseClown » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:05 pm

Oh sorry, let me clarify: I'm shooting for a top-40 law school (preferably top-20).

And good eye there: I got revoked because I accidentally forgot to send in 1 of my 5 required documents by their deadline. I didn't know it was missing till a week ago - I'd carelessly overlooked it.

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:07 pm

No experience, but I would guess you would have a really tough time.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:28 pm

I suspect that you may well run into some concern regarding an online program vice a more traditional program.

Keep in mind that more often then not law school programs are very traditional. As such they will be slow to accept things that do not fall within their comfort level. Although there are situations that could help mitigate such concerns. For instance, a student may have a reason that opted to pursue a nontraditional program, such as, being in the military and wanting to complete your degree while dealing with possible/actual deployments, or allowing you to work a challenging job that has provide you with quality work experience while finishing your degree.

Currently I am in a graduate program that is a hybrid online/ in person program. Dealing with people professionally my efforts towards this degree have been well received, although my field (Information Security) may well be more accepting then other groups. The few initial conversations that I have had with admissions staff at law schools (primarily in the DC area) have not seemed to be put off by non-traditional educational path, but the proof will be what happens when I actually apply.

Happy Hunting,

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:34 pm

your gpa is your gpa as far as lsac is concerned. Ad comms will probably care. I think the real issue is what happens if you bail on law school? You'll be stuck with an online degree from an institution no one's ever heard of. You should look into the fine details regarding an online program- some have sketchy accreditation. You don't want to end up like this guy http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-02/livi ... =PM:LIVING

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Do you have any 4 year schools close to your home? If I were you I would perhaps take a semester of online, take classes at a school close to home in the spring, and then complete your transfer and do what it takes to graduate at a new school. You may be applying a year later, but you wouldn't have a year long gap. You could also just stick with whatever school you go to in the spring and finish there.

I think graduating from an online school would be a mistake though.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:39 pm

If you do online, do it at a school that has brick and mortar. Your local state school probably has online classes, or even degrees available entirely online. Several other states state school might be able to help you too, though check their tuition rates.

Do not go to a school that is entirely online, because Adcomms will never have heard of it and assume it sucks. Just my opinion, of course, but I went to my UG online for the last two years and I feel that way.

Just count the semester out and go again next semester is my advice. Peace.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:13 am

dont go online. They all charge out of state tuition, and most, if not practically all of them DO NOT transfer credits. Take the rest of the semester off, and try to get into a school in the spring.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:21 am

Ask around about the accreditation. If professionals in your field havn't heard it.. that's a definite way to know it's no good.

Then, ask the accreditation organization if the school indeed has the accreditation as of the current date and for how long did they have it. If that checks out, ask them if their online program is accredited, too since some organizations require in-class time for labs, lecture, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:24 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:If you do online, do it at a school that has brick and mortar. Your local state school probably has online classes, or even degrees available entirely online. Several other states state school might be able to help you too, though check their tuition rates.

Do not go to a school that is entirely online, because Adcomms will never have heard of it and assume it sucks. Just my opinion, of course, but I went to my UG online for the last two years and I feel that way.

Just count the semester out and go again next semester is my advice. Peace.
This. While the school is regionally accredited, the fact that it is only online is not going to look good. Your best bet would be to find a brick and mortar school with online degree programs, or sit the semester out. You should still be able to come in as a transfer student in the spring at most schools.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:26 am

ResolutePear wrote:Ask around about the accreditation. If professionals in your field havn't heard it.. that's a definite way to know it's no good.

Then, ask the accreditation organization if the school indeed has the accreditation as of the current date and for how long did they have it. If that checks out, ask them if their online program is accredited, too since some organizations require in-class time for labs, lecture, etc.
The one the OP linked to is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:45 am

dextermorgan wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Ask around about the accreditation. If professionals in your field havn't heard it.. that's a definite way to know it's no good.

The one the OP linked to is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Really? Taken from the Website:
The Western region covers institutions in California and Hawaii, the territories of Guam, American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Palau, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, the Pacific Basin, and East Asia, and areas of the Pacific and East Asia where American/International schools or colleges may apply to it for service.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:09 am

Adcomm's won't care that you took a semester or year off. all they care about is LSAT/GPA. don't screw yourself by going to an online school. make some money for a little while and then go to a legit school in a few months. they will not care at all, but if you decide not to do law then an online degree is going to leave you SOL

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ComatoseClown

Bronze

Post by ComatoseClown » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:09 pm

Adcomm's won't care that you took a semester or year off. all they care about is LSAT/GPA.
Thanks for replying; but if all adcoms care about is LSAT/GPA, then what difference does it make if the GPA is from an accredited online UG school?
but if you decide not to do law then an online degree is going to leave you SOL

Can you explain this further? I thought the trend these days is that most employers (non-Law) don't really put an emphasis on where your UG degree is from.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:16 pm

If adcomms don't care about whether its online or traditional, do online. A friend and I thought a while ago about putting people through Concordia online, getting them 4.0s and having them prep for the LSAT the whole time, lol.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:20 pm

There are some schools, like IU that have work at your own pace correspondence courses (online) and they are just IU classes. You basically just start and end them when you want. --LinkRemoved--.

This would look much better than a University of Phoenix or Kaplan type school.

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:50 pm

From what I've seen doing a bachelor's degree online is one of the few cases where your undergrad institution adversely affects your chances at law school admission

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:53 pm

I'd go through LSN and look at people with online degrees. I think there is enough evidence to suggest that adcomms do care, and that the TLS refrain "GPA + LSAT" doesn't take into account these exceptional cases. If you have any "t14" aspirations, I'd definitely avoid the online degree. But I think it matters at any of the schools ranked 20-40.

If you do go the online route, I think it doesn't hurt you too much only if there are certain reasons for it (e.g. military) and if you choose a sufficiently reputable school (as noted, your best bet is to find a traditional school that also offers online courses).

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:04 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:
Adcomm's won't care that you took a semester or year off. all they care about is LSAT/GPA.
Thanks for replying; but if all adcoms care about is LSAT/GPA, then what difference does it make if the GPA is from an accredited online UG school?

Can you explain this further? I thought the trend these days is that most employers (non-Law) don't really put an emphasis on where your UG degree is from.
an online school can adversely effect your ability to network significantly. first, as a GWU alum I am able to tap into a large GWU alum base and everyone knows GWU and asks me about it. it makes a great talking point. same goes for other 'legit' schools.

online schools have a degree of sketcheyness to them. while subconscious, think if you had to choose between an entry level kid from the University of Cali or an entry level kid from no-name online school. at least, if I was doing the hiring, I would always choose the UC kid just cause how do I know the online kid didn't jack-off and play WoW all day long for four years? subconsciously there is a negative stigma attached to online schools and that is reflected in kids from online schools having worse results then would otherwise be expected in the t14 (outside of the t20 most schools are just competing for rankings).

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:07 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
ComatoseClown wrote:

an online school can adversely effect your ability to network significantly. first, as a GWU alum I am able to tap into a large GWU alum base and everyone knows GWU and asks me about it. it makes a great talking point. same goes for other 'legit' schools.

online schools have a degree of sketcheyness to them. while subconscious, think if you had to choose between an entry level kid from the University of Cali or an entry level kid from no-name online school. at least, if I was doing the hiring, I would always choose the UC kid just cause how do I know the online kid didn't jack-off and play WoW all day long for four years? subconsciously there is a negative stigma attached to online schools and that is reflected in kids from online schools having worse results then would otherwise be expected in the t14 (outside of the t20 most schools are just competing for rankings).
Outed.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:13 pm

i am a reapplicant and based on what i saw last cycle, online schools diminish your chances more than you think but you can still get into top schools. i remember a guy who had a 4.0 and a 175+ and still got rejected at harvard and couple other places.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”