UGPA 2.98 vs. 3.03

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bosox31

UGPA 2.98 vs. 3.03

Postby bosox31 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:22 am

I graduated college about 2 and a half years ago. I'm looking at my 2.98 UGPA, and I read in a few posts that having above a 3.0 would dramatically improve my odds and I was curious if this was true or just folklore. If I got my GPA changed from a 2.98 to a 3.03, it seems so miniscule, I don't really understand how adcomms could really care that much about it. Is their some specific criteria certain school have involving UGPA being above/below a 3.0? I'm sure this has been addressed in the past but I couldn't find anything.

Don't worry about the how, I have a plan. I just want to know if it's worth the pain in the ass this would entail for myself and others to get changed. Being able to articulate this would help my case as well.

s0ph1e2007

Re: UGPA 2.98 vs. 3.03

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:41 am

bosox31 wrote:I graduated college about 2 and a half years ago. I'm looking at my 2.98 UGPA, and I read in a few posts that having above a 3.0 would dramatically improve my odds and I was curious if this was true or just folklore. If I got my GPA changed from a 2.98 to a 3.03, it seems so miniscule, I don't really understand how adcomms could really care that much about it. Is their some specific criteria certain school have involving UGPA being above/below a 3.0? I'm sure this has been addressed in the past but I couldn't find anything.

Don't worry about the how, I have a plan. I just want to know if it's worth the pain in the ass this would entail for myself and others to get changed. Being able to articulate this would help my case as well.

If you've already graduated then take a night class. You probably have the time (even if it's a pain) to take one. Do it, and get your gpa up to a 3.0. Nobody here can tell you 100% how important it is, but it certainly helps enough that the pain of 1 night class or something similar is definitely worth it.

On another, more important, note. Get a HIGH LSAT.
Good luck

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:42 am

i thinks its primarily a psychological thing, Imagine an adcomm sitting at a table a their prestigious little law school looking at an application that says 2. something.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:52 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
bosox31 wrote:I graduated college about 2 and a half years ago. I'm looking at my 2.98 UGPA, and I read in a few posts that having above a 3.0 would dramatically improve my odds and I was curious if this was true or just folklore. If I got my GPA changed from a 2.98 to a 3.03, it seems so miniscule, I don't really understand how adcomms could really care that much about it. Is their some specific criteria certain school have involving UGPA being above/below a 3.0? I'm sure this has been addressed in the past but I couldn't find anything.

If you've already graduated then take a night class. You probably have the time (even if it's a pain) to take one. Do it, and get your gpa up to a 3.0. Nobody here can tell you 100% how important it is, but it certainly helps enough that the pain of 1 night class or something similar is definitely worth it.

On another, more important, note. Get a HIGH LSAT.
Good luck

If he's already graduated, taking a night class won't matter. Only classes that factor into your undergrad degree are counted towards your LSDAS GPA.

sophia.olive wrote:i thinks its primarily a psychological thing, Imagine an adcomm sitting at a table a their prestigious little law school looking at an application that says 2. something.

This might be credited. I believe some schools (particularly T14) have 3.0 floors, but for the most part it seems to be a psychological thing. Your GPA is going to be below the median (and below the 25%ile) for just about every school you're looking at, so any boost (even psychological) you can gather is well worth your while. Neither GPA is going to do you any favors, though, so you really need to nail that LSAT.

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:20 pm

The mental image one gets from 3.x is a B student.
The mental image one gets from a 2.x, even a 2.98 is a C student.

That is my opinion at least. Obviously .05 is a trivial jump, but in your case that jump would be well worth the effort.

I'm assuming you have taken classes prior to graduating that you didn't bother to send to LSAC, or you have test scores that you never turned in to your school?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”