Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JeanMarie
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:57 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:SO WHAT IS THE POINT HERE? WHY HAS THIS THREAD BECOME A ROUND OF INSULTS AGAINST ME? IF YOU THINK I AM LYING, SAY SO. JUST DON'T INSULT ME. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS. THIS GOES FOR MY PEERS AS WELL.

THIS IS THE TRUTH, AND YOU IGNORE IT AT YOUR OWN PERIL.


Did you have WE before school? Have you ever hustled for a job before law school? Serious questions.


First, it's "Your school sucked. So that explains why you can't get a job"

Then it's "Your class rank sucked. So that explains why you can't get a job. I'll go to a mediocre school like Fordham and will surely get in the top 10%, so I won't end up like you!"

Then it's "You didn't 'hustle' so that explains it. I'm a 'hustler' so I can go to Drake University and still land a great job." Please look up the origins of the word "hustle."

Will it finally be, "You didn't debase your sex enough to get on your knees for the partner. That's why you didn't get a job"?

It's never enough. You will continue to look for things to prove that the Class of 2010 are lazy bitches and that nothing will touch you. That's why I am done talking about myself. If you want to talk about me, PM me.

JeanMarie
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:58 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:SO WHAT IS THE POINT HERE? WHY HAS THIS THREAD BECOME A ROUND OF INSULTS AGAINST ME? IF YOU THINK I AM LYING, SAY SO. JUST DON'T INSULT ME. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS. THIS GOES FOR MY PEERS AS WELL.

THIS IS THE TRUTH, AND YOU IGNORE IT AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

I'll ask you, politely, for simple data points, such as your approximate class rank and whether you've had any WE. This is important data which will not only clarify your current position but also help everyone reading understand the genuine direness of the situation you're describing. Without that information your post is motly worthless as an actual indicator of anything, since it's missing needed data.

This is not meant to insult you, but to point out that your thread is missing critically important information, and is not useful as a guide to anything until that information is provided. Since all I have to infer from is your in-thread behavior, I've been attempting to do so, but you may feel free to correct me by actually posting your approximate class rank and whether you have any post-UG WE.


You haven't, to my knowledge, private messaged me. That is your loss, not mine.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:01 pm

JeanMarie wrote:You haven't, to my knowledge, private messaged me. That is your loss, not mine.

Note to all posters: OP continues to refuse to publically provide important data such as approximate class rank and amount of work experience that would allow any reader to determine the relative strength of their position. It's possible to infer from OP's immaturity, unwillingness to share, and stated unwillingness to go suck up to get a job, that 1) they had a low GPA, 2) do not have real-world work experience, and 3) had unrealistic expectations about how easy it would be to get a job, and thus are actually the kind of person you would expect to have great difficulty getting a job.

As such, while OP exists as a warning, it should be a warning that going to a T14 in itself is not enough to guarantee you a job or even make getting one easy, and you should be prepared to legitimately work hard and suck up when necessary to get such a job.. like most people at T14s are doing right now, many with success.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby paratactical » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:02 pm

--ImageRemoved--

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:14 pm

JeanMarie wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:SO WHAT IS THE POINT HERE? WHY HAS THIS THREAD BECOME A ROUND OF INSULTS AGAINST ME? IF YOU THINK I AM LYING, SAY SO. JUST DON'T INSULT ME. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS. THIS GOES FOR MY PEERS AS WELL.

THIS IS THE TRUTH, AND YOU IGNORE IT AT YOUR OWN PERIL.


Did you have WE before school? Have you ever hustled for a job before law school? Serious questions.


First, it's "Your school sucked. So that explains why you can't get a job"

Then it's "Your class rank sucked. So that explains why you can't get a job. I'll go to a mediocre school like Fordham and will surely get in the top 10%, so I won't end up like you!"

Then it's "You didn't 'hustle' so that explains it. I'm a 'hustler' so I can go to Drake University and still land a great job." Please look up the origins of the word "hustle."

Will it finally be, "You didn't debase your sex enough to get on your knees for the partner. That's why you didn't get a job"?

It's never enough. You will continue to look for things to prove that the Class of 2010 are lazy bitches and that nothing will touch you. That's why I am done talking about myself. If you want to talk about me, PM me.



Never said the bolded (and Fordham is not a mediocre school---I'm gonna guess Cornell now BTW)

I know the origins of the world hustle, and the origins of the word grind, and I've done both---welcome to the real world, lady---wage slavery's a bitch

And I love how buying a partner lunch is below you---I'm sure when you interview this comes across

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:18 pm

JeanMarie wrote:Ladies and gentlemen,

The attacks continue! This is what happens when you tell the truth to 1Ls who can't accept it. Denial. Yeah I made it all up. I'm a slacker and all the unemployed attorneys are to blame for their situation. :roll:


Actually, I am a TTT graduate and second year attorney at a nice firm in downtown manhattan. As I type this, I'm looking out my window from my office which has a lovely view of the hudson, elis island and the statute of liberty... This view is thanks to the fact that my desk currently resides in a nice office in the penthouse level of my office building.

My response to you is based entirely on the fact that I think pathetic for having expected all of the riches and joy of biglaw to bestowed upon you, simply because you attended a T14. As a TTT grad, I had to work 5 times as hard as a T14 grad to get where I am and I have absolutely no tolerance for listening to a person with the greatest advantage possible in this profession (save having the last name Wachtel), bitch and complain that how the system "robbed" him. Suck it up and deal with the fact that you struck out and move on.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:20 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:Ladies and gentlemen,

The attacks continue! This is what happens when you tell the truth to 1Ls who can't accept it. Denial. Yeah I made it all up. I'm a slacker and all the unemployed attorneys are to blame for their situation. :roll:


Actually, I am a TTT graduate and second year attorney at a nice firm in downtown manhattan. As I type this, I'm looking out my window from my office which has a lovely view of the hudson, elis island and the statute of liberty... This view is thanks to the fact that my desk currently resides in a nice office in the penthouse level of my office building.

My response to you is based entirely on the fact that I think pathetic for having expected all of the riches and joy of biglaw to bestowed upon you, simply because you attended a T14. As a TTT grad, I had to work 5 times as hard as a T14 grad to get where I am and I have absolutely no tolerance for listening to a person with the greatest advantage possible in this profession (save having the last name Wachtel), bitch and complain that how the system "robbed" him. Suck it up and deal with the fact that you struck out and move on.


You must have debased your sex to get it, right?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:22 pm

This thread is worthless and should probably be locked.

User avatar
NinjaWalrus
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby NinjaWalrus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:23 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:Ladies and gentlemen,

The attacks continue! This is what happens when you tell the truth to 1Ls who can't accept it. Denial. Yeah I made it all up. I'm a slacker and all the unemployed attorneys are to blame for their situation. :roll:


Actually, I am a TTT graduate and second year attorney at a nice firm in downtown manhattan. As I type this, I'm looking out my window from my office which has a lovely view of the hudson, elis island and the statute of liberty... This view is thanks to the fact that my desk currently resides in a nice office in the penthouse level of my office building.

My response to you is based entirely on the fact that I think pathetic for having expected all of the riches and joy of biglaw to bestowed upon you, simply because you attended a T14. As a TTT grad, I had to work 5 times as hard as a T14 grad to get where I am and I have absolutely no tolerance for listening to a person with the greatest advantage possible in this profession (save having the last name Wachtel), bitch and complain that how the system "robbed" him. Suck it up and deal with the fact that you struck out and move on.


Get back to work or you're fired!
Last edited by NinjaWalrus on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:23 pm

JeanMarie wrote:It's never enough. You will continue to look for things to prove that the Class of 2010 are lazy bitches and that nothing will touch you. That's why I am done talking about myself. If you want to talk about me, PM me.

Hey, I'm in the class of 2011 and freely admit I'm in just about the same boat you are. I think what people are objecting to is 1) your attitude, and 2) your unwillingness to provide information. I really don't think it had anything to do with people insinuating that you or your peers are lazy.

JeanMarie
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:26 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:It's never enough. You will continue to look for things to prove that the Class of 2010 are lazy bitches and that nothing will touch you. That's why I am done talking about myself. If you want to talk about me, PM me.

Hey, I'm in the class of 2011 and freely admit I'm in just about the same boat you are. I think what people are objecting to is 1) your attitude, and 2) your unwillingness to provide information. I really don't think it had anything to do with people insinuating that you or your peers are lazy.


1) My attitude is precisely the result of hustling like a dog and getting nowhere.

2) I provided all the information to each and every person who private messaged me.

I already stated numerous times that the reason I don't post this stuff on this thread is because I wanted to talk about the problem of legal hiring in general. It's pointless to try to personalize this against me. It's also really mean.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:31 pm

JeanMarie wrote:2) I provided all the information to each and every person who private messaged me.

Except me :oops:

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:34 pm

JeanMarie wrote:I already stated numerous times that the reason I don't post this stuff on this thread is because I wanted to talk about the problem of legal hiring in general. It's pointless to try to personalize this against me. It's also really mean.

You personalized it in post one when you said, "I still regret my decision." We need enough information to understand why, and you're not providing it. Until then, you're spouting a personal opinion without any background reasons for why, just broad generalizations. You cannot get anyone else to understand or accept why you regret your decision unless you give the reasons why. Without giving those reasons, people are just going to keep trying to fill in the blanks themselves, and with your attitude they're not going to do so in a way that's favorable to you.

dresden doll wrote:This thread is worthless and should probably be locked.

I agree it's worthless, but if that were enough to lock threads, I'd have too much work to do.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby paratactical » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:35 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
nematoad
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby nematoad » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:50 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:Ladies and gentlemen,

The attacks continue! This is what happens when you tell the truth to 1Ls who can't accept it. Denial. Yeah I made it all up. I'm a slacker and all the unemployed attorneys are to blame for their situation. :roll:


Actually, I am a TTT graduate and second year attorney at a nice firm in downtown manhattan. As I type this, I'm looking out my window from my office which has a lovely view of the hudson, elis island and the statute of liberty... This view is thanks to the fact that my desk currently resides in a nice office in the penthouse level of my office building.

My response to you is based entirely on the fact that I think pathetic for having expected all of the riches and joy of biglaw to bestowed upon you, simply because you attended a T14. As a TTT grad, I had to work 5 times as hard as a T14 grad to get where I am and I have absolutely no tolerance for listening to a person with the greatest advantage possible in this profession (save having the last name Wachtel), bitch and complain that how the system "robbed" him. Suck it up and deal with the fact that you struck out and move on.


Clearly pimpin aint easy.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:00 pm

JeanMarie wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:It's never enough. You will continue to look for things to prove that the Class of 2010 are lazy bitches and that nothing will touch you. That's why I am done talking about myself. If you want to talk about me, PM me.

Hey, I'm in the class of 2011 and freely admit I'm in just about the same boat you are. I think what people are objecting to is 1) your attitude, and 2) your unwillingness to provide information. I really don't think it had anything to do with people insinuating that you or your peers are lazy.


1) My attitude is precisely the result of hustling like a dog and getting nowhere.

2) I provided all the information to each and every person who private messaged me.

I already stated numerous times that the reason I don't post this stuff on this thread is because I wanted to talk about the problem of legal hiring in general. It's pointless to try to personalize this against me. It's also really mean.


...if you won't buy a potential employer lunch you need to hustle smarter. I have done more for a $14 an hour job. Sending you a pm

User avatar
mpasi
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby mpasi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 pm

I don't think I've ever seen such a hilarious self-implosion on here before. OP, just go away. You'll feel better. And Para, you are going to hell. :p

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:07 pm

JeanMarie wrote:Will it finally be, "You didn't debase your sex enough to get on your knees for the partner. That's why you didn't get a job"?


I'd just like to point out that this might've actually gotten you a CB.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby paratactical » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:09 pm

mpasi wrote:I don't think I've ever seen such a hilarious self-implosion on here before. OP, just go away. You'll feel better. And Para, you are going to hell. :p


Presuming hell exists in the context of an afterlife, I would probably end up there based on most theistic readings, yes. :mrgreen:

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby 20121109 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:12 pm

JeanMarie wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:Now get off my thread if you don't want to hear what I have to say.

This is "your" thread in the sense that you started it, but not in the sense that you have any ownership rights to it. It belongs to TLS, and all TLS posters (as long as they don't get too offensive) are welcome to post in it. Don't start that "get off my thread" crap, and don't start discussions on here if you're not going to accept everyone participating.


Don't start with your amateurish insults. We worked hard and paid a lot of money to go to law school. You are making your class look very bad. When you guys end up in our position, or worse, I'll try to be nice, but I don't think some of my peers will. You will hate yourself for this.


Where is the insult in V's remarks?

User avatar
mpasi
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby mpasi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:13 pm

paratactical wrote:
mpasi wrote:I don't think I've ever seen such a hilarious self-implosion on here before. OP, just go away. You'll feel better. And Para, you are going to hell. :p


Presuming hell exists in the context of an afterlife, I would probably end up there based on most theistic readings, yes. :mrgreen:



Meh. I meant for your lol-worthy taunts of OP, specifically. After seeing the first two, I was like, "Gawd, this girl is such a bitch." In a good way, of course.

User avatar
mpasi
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby mpasi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:15 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:Now get off my thread if you don't want to hear what I have to say.

This is "your" thread in the sense that you started it, but not in the sense that you have any ownership rights to it. It belongs to TLS, and all TLS posters (as long as they don't get too offensive) are welcome to post in it. Don't start that "get off my thread" crap, and don't start discussions on here if you're not going to accept everyone participating.


Don't start with your amateurish insults. We worked hard and paid a lot of money to go to law school. You are making your class look very bad. When you guys end up in our position, or worse, I'll try to be nice, but I don't think some of my peers will. You will hate yourself for this.


Where is the insult in V's remarks?



A lot of people see hitting them with the truth as an insult. The truth is offensive, apparently. Van's infraction was simply using what OP said against her.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:15 pm

JeanMarie wrote:1) My attitude is precisely the result of hustling like a dog and getting nowhere.

2) I provided all the information to each and every person who private messaged me.

I already stated numerous times that the reason I don't post this stuff on this thread is because I wanted to talk about the problem of legal hiring in general. It's pointless to try to personalize this against me. It's also really mean.


Duh legal hiring is shit, nobody is going to argue with you over that. The problem is that most don't believe it to the extent that you claim. If you provide school and approximate class rank or GPA of you and the peers that you know that all struck out then it paints a more vivid picture of the reality you are trying to articulate.

This thread is already hinging on the info of you and your peers, nobody is going to take you seriously without it. You can't diver it from that course because it is already there. If you truly want your message to have some substance you should do your best to get it to your intended topic and part of that includes posting your numbers rather than being underhanded about it.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:24 pm

After 12 pages of debate, I really doubt either OP or her critics are going to change their mind about anything at this point.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:37 pm

johnnyutah wrote:After 12 pages of debate, I really doubt either OP or her critics are going to change their mind about anything at this point.

BP went on for over 9000 pages without an agreement. No harm in trying!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests