Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:37 pm

JeanMarie wrote:I just told you that it wasn't below median. Now you're in denial. :lol:

No, I'm making assumptions about someone who is doing just about anything to avoid posting even a general estimate of what their grades were. If you're that paranoid about it, would you lie or mislead to throw people off? Possibly. And reaching that conclusion, I think that calls into question everything you've said.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:39 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:I just told you that it wasn't below median. Now you're in denial. :lol:

No, I'm making assumptions about someone who is doing just about anything to avoid posting even a general estimate of what their grades were. If you're that paranoid about it, would you lie or mislead to throw people off? Possibly. And reaching that conclusion, I think that calls into question everything you've said.

Tisk tisk. Nice try Vanny.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:40 pm

JeanMarie wrote:Tisk tisk. Nice try Vanny.

*shrug* I'm just pointing out to other readers reasons to be skeptical of you. And I feel they should be, since you're not very forthcoming about important and relevant information.

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:40 pm

dood wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:
That's pretty sad, mister. Is there anything you wouldn't have done? Next year, you'll be doing inappropriate things just to keep your job?

No, I'll do whatever it takes within moral and ethical boundaries. If you think hard work and determination is sad, then yes, I guess it is.

Do you expect people to look up to you for kissing someone else's butt? If it works for you, great. Just don't brag about it in public if you don't want to look like this.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:41 pm

JeanMarie wrote:
dood wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:In sum. Op: You're a pussy. Deal with it. Brah.

I agree with the above poster. I have shit for grades at GW. I am secure b/c I hustled my ass off. Example: when I didn't get an OCI interview for a firm I was particularly interested in, I brought lunch in exchange for 5 min of a partners time. I literally called every person I knew and scoured the earth for networking contacts - example: my hair stylist put me in touch with 2 partners. I did anything and everything I could in order for me to secure a big law job. Had I not succeed at lunch I would have waited outside of said partner's office, Pursuit of Happiness style. Can you honestly say you did everything in your power to land a big law job?

That's pretty sad, mister. Is there anything you wouldn't have done? Next year, you'll be doing inappropriate things just to keep your job?

Who hasn't sucked dick at an OCI?

I think you lack social skills or just simply cannot network---that or most likely, you had an NLJ250 interview or two and never took a shot at a job outside of biglaw

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:41 pm

JeanMarie wrote:
dood wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:

No, I'll do whatever it takes within moral and ethical boundaries. If you think hard work and determination is sad, then yes, I guess it is.

Do you expect people to look up to you for kissing someone else's butt? If it works for you, great. Just don't brag about it in public if you don't want to look like this.

Wait---who is the unemployed one with debt? We are supposed to look up to you?

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Ladies and gentlemen,

The attacks continue! This is what happens when you tell the truth to 1Ls who can't accept it. Denial. Yeah I made it all up. I'm a slacker and all the unemployed attorneys are to blame for their situation. :roll:

dood

Postby dood » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:43 pm

JeanMarie wrote:Do you expect people to look up to you for kissing someone else's butt? If it works for you, great. Just don't brag about it in public if you don't want to look like this.

Sucking up to people and kissing butt is an important part of job-hunting. Now it becomes even more apparent why you couldn't find a job. Maybe your post should be titled "Law school is a DISASTROUS decision for those who want things handed to them easily".

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:43 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:
dood wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:In sum. Op: You're a pussy. Deal with it. Brah.

I agree with the above poster. I have shit for grades at GW. I am secure b/c I hustled my ass off. Example: when I didn't get an OCI interview for a firm I was particularly interested in, I brought lunch in exchange for 5 min of a partners time. I literally called every person I knew and scoured the earth for networking contacts - example: my hair stylist put me in touch with 2 partners. I did anything and everything I could in order for me to secure a big law job. Had I not succeed at lunch I would have waited outside of said partner's office, Pursuit of Happiness style. Can you honestly say you did everything in your power to land a big law job?

Who hasn't sucked dick at an OCI?

I think you lack social skills or just simply cannot network---that or most likely, you had an NLJ250 interview or two and never took a shot at a job outside of biglaw

So go "suck dick" for a job. I won't do that, and I hope my sisters in here don't either. Now get off my thread if you don't want to hear what I have to say.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:44 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:I think you lack social skills

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:45 pm

dood wrote:The fact you feel so entitled that you don't have to beg for a job is disgusting. And just stupid. If you are a hiring partner, who are you going to hire, an self-entitled brat or the kid who's hungry and willing to put in the extra effort?

I'm not going to get on my knees, and I'm not going to buy a partner a lunch. :oops:

I guess that explains the T14 students ending up without a job. Now remember what you're saying and come back to this thread in three years. The chance of your ending up jobless is larger than your chance of getting a job.

Yours.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:46 pm

JeanMarie wrote:
So go "suck dick" for a job. I won't do that, and I hope my sisters in here don't either. Now get off my thread if you don't want to hear what I have to say.

Why do some people not get what a public message board is? You won't do shit for a job

You sound like a lazy entitled t14 grad

boring

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:47 pm

JeanMarie wrote:
dood wrote:The fact you feel so entitled that you don't have to beg for a job is disgusting. And just stupid. If you are a hiring partner, who are you going to hire, an self-entitled brat or the kid who's hungry and willing to put in the extra effort?

I'm not going to get on my knees, and I'm not going to buy a partner a lunch. :oops:

I guess that explains the T14 students ending up without a job. Now remember what you're saying and come back to this thread in three years. The chance of your ending up jobless is larger than your chance of getting a job.

Yours.

Even if you get a job, you will get fired. Buying lunch is a time tested foot in the door technique. Welcome to the real world. I am going to guess you went to law school directly out of UG

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:48 pm

JeanMarie wrote:Now get off my thread if you don't want to hear what I have to say.

This is "your" thread in the sense that you started it, but not in the sense that you have any ownership rights to it. It belongs to TLS, and all TLS posters (as long as they don't get too offensive) are welcome to post in it. Don't start that "get off my thread" crap, and don't start discussions on here if you're not going to accept everyone participating.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:Even if you get a job, you will get fired. Buying lunch is a time tested foot in the door technique. Welcome to the real world. I am going to guess you went to law school directly out of UG

I'll guess that as well; also, people should be aware that one increasingly major factor is whether or not you've had WE between UG and law school. Those people I know who have WE have gotten significantly better CBs and offers than those that don't, in general. Part of that is that it teaches you how the real world works in certain ways... like that ass-kissing is part of the reality of job-hunting.

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:Now get off my thread if you don't want to hear what I have to say.

This is "your" thread in the sense that you started it, but not in the sense that you have any ownership rights to it. It belongs to TLS, and all TLS posters (as long as they don't get too offensive) are welcome to post in it. Don't start that "get off my thread" crap, and don't start discussions on here if you're not going to accept everyone participating.

Don't start with your amateurish insults. We worked hard and paid a lot of money to go to law school. You are making your class look very bad. When you guys end up in our position, or worse, I'll try to be nice, but I don't think some of my peers will. You will hate yourself for this.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:Even if you get a job, you will get fired. Buying lunch is a time tested foot in the door technique. Welcome to the real world. I am going to guess you went to law school directly out of UG

I'll guess that as well; also, people should be aware that one increasingly major factor is whether or not you've had WE between UG and law school. Those people I know who have WE have gotten significantly better CBs and offers than those that don't, in general. Part of that is that it teaches you how the real world works in certain ways... like that ass-kissing is part of the reality of job-hunting.

LoL I don't even think you need that WE for this. Again, I worked in a deli in high school, and learned if you kiss ass you get the shifts you want and smoke breaks (when I still smoked) when you wanted

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:52 pm

SO WHAT IS THE POINT HERE? WHY HAS THIS THREAD BECOME A ROUND OF INSULTS AGAINST ME? IF YOU THINK I AM LYING, SAY SO. JUST DON'T INSULT ME. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS. THIS GOES FOR MY PEERS AS WELL.

THIS IS THE TRUTH, AND YOU IGNORE IT AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:53 pm

JeanMarie wrote:SO WHAT IS THE POINT HERE? WHY HAS THIS THREAD BECOME A ROUND OF INSULTS AGAINST ME? IF YOU THINK I AM LYING, SAY SO. JUST DON'T INSULT ME. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS. THIS GOES FOR MY PEERS AS WELL.

Did you have WE before school? Have you ever hustled for a job before law school? Serious questions.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:54 pm

JeanMarie wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Don't start with your amateurish insults. We worked hard and paid a lot of money to go to law school. You are making your class look very bad. When you guys end up in our position, or worse, I'll try to be nice, but I don't think some of my peers will. You will hate yourself for this.

Amateurish insults? What? I was talking about your attitude, which is unacceptable on this forum, regarding possessiveness of "your" thread and what will/won't be tolerated there.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:55 pm

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:56 pm

JeanMarie wrote:SO WHAT IS THE POINT HERE? WHY HAS THIS THREAD BECOME A ROUND OF INSULTS AGAINST ME? IF YOU THINK I AM LYING, SAY SO. JUST DON'T INSULT ME. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH ENOUGH OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS. THIS GOES FOR MY PEERS AS WELL.

I'll ask you, politely, for simple data points, such as your approximate class rank and whether you've had any WE. This is important data which will not only clarify your current position but also help everyone reading understand the genuine direness of the situation you're describing. Without that information your post is motly worthless as an actual indicator of anything, since it's missing needed data.

This is not meant to insult you, but to point out that your thread is missing critically important information, and is not useful as a guide to anything until that information is provided. Since all I have to infer from is your in-thread behavior, I've been attempting to do so, but you may feel free to correct me by actually posting your approximate class rank and whether you have any post-UG WE.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”