Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
johnnyutah

Re: Law School Is a DISASTROUS Decision Even for Many at T14

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:55 pm

rayiner wrote:We live in an age of federally-backed loans and merit-based admissions. It's not like in the past where you went to Harvard because your family was rich and blue-blooded. Anyone can go to Harvard --- you just need to make the grades and get the test scores. It's not "elitism" in the traditional sense.

Maybe not blue-blooded in the traditional sense, but how many of your t-14 classmates are first generation college grads? I can name two in my entire class at my t-14, and I'm one of them (sort of - my mom eventually got her degree around the same time I did). The lay of the land still seems to be that people from moneyed and educated families dominate enrollment at top schools, and that makes me question the idea of top schools as pure meritocracies.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:00 pm

ResolutePear wrote:In fact, I AM THE LAW!

(Quick, somebody post a Judge Dread pic)

You called?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Kretzy wrote:What this means is not that people making the decision to go to law school have fucked up their lives. Those who came in refusing to understand the downside might be in for a rude awakening. Many of us will come out with great jobs, whether in firms or the umbrella of organizations called "public interest."

You're in for a rude awakening if you think PI jobs are easier to get than firm work :mrgreen:

johnnyutah

Re: Going to Law School is Not all About $$$ and if it is...

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Elizabeth999 wrote:If every single lawyer would read and learn the Constitution and fight for this country, perhaps we wouldn't be in this financial mess to begin with; or at least there would be people IN JAIL for the almost collapse of the US economy.

Outed as failing Con Law.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:08 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:In fact, I AM THE LAW!

(Quick, somebody post a Judge Dread pic)

You called?

Yes!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Kretzy wrote:I'm a 1L at Stanford.

I know some of my classmates (including possibly myself) will strike out at OCI.

A few years ago it wouldn't have happened. Now, it's a given.

Law school, even near the top, isn't a golden ticket. Some folks at YHS will not get a job. A few more at CCN won't. You can keep extrapolating that downward.

What this means is not that people making the decision to go to law school have fucked up their lives. Those who came in refusing to understand the downside might be in for a rude awakening. Many of us will come out with great jobs, whether in firms or the umbrella of organizations called "public interest."

Things are not as good as the optimists want you to believe, nor are they as bad as the true pessimists want you to believe. Lots of folks need to temper their general hopes of what law school can provide them, and look toward LS with a more discerning eye.

+1.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:21 pm

It's Sunday, so I thought I'd just talk hippie for a bit:

Just go with the flow and eventually everything will work itself out.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:48 pm

ResolutePear wrote:It's Sunday, so I thought I'd just talk hippie for a bit:

Just go with the flow do a lot of acid and eventually everything will work itself out.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:07 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:It's Sunday, so I thought I'd just talk hippie for a bit:

Just go with the flow do a lot of acid and eventually everything will work itself out.

Did I say flow? I meant blow.

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:11 pm

More news keeps coming out about how law school tends to be a disastrous move.

Laugh all you want, my darlings.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:16 pm

JeanMarie wrote:More news keeps coming out about how law school tends to be a disastrous move.

This thread is still worthless without an approximation of your class rank.

blackwater88

Postby blackwater88 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:More news keeps coming out about how law school tends to be a disastrous move.

Can't you tell him to post his numbers or he'll get the hammer? You guys are all-powerful, right?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:19 pm

creeper

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:21 pm

blackwater88 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Can't you tell him to post his numbers or he'll get the hammer? You guys are all-powerful, right?

I posted the numbers to almost all of the private messages, as I said I would in my initial post (if I haven't gotten back to you, I'm sorry, but it's difficult to keep up). Don't make this about me.

blackwater88

Postby blackwater88 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:23 pm

JeanMarie wrote:
blackwater88 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I posted the numbers to almost all of the private messages, as I said I would in my initial post (if I haven't gotten back to you, I'm sorry, but it's difficult to keep up). Don't make this about me.

You're lagging.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:24 pm

JeanMarie wrote:I posted the numbers to almost all of the private messages, as I said I would in my initial post (if I haven't gotten back to you, I'm sorry, but it's difficult to keep up). Don't make this about me.

It is about you. You're anonymous enough, and you can maintain it even moreso by posting an approximation of your class rank; you don't even need to post exact numbers, just something ballpark enough to give people an idea where you're coming from. Without making that part of your public info, we're all free to infer that you're just complaining because you ended up below median and couldn't get employed.

In fact, I encourage anyone reading this to assume that until OP posts some kind of ballpark figures. Until stated otherwise, this just sounds like more sour grapes from someone who couldn't cut it, to me.

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:26 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:I posted the numbers to almost all of the private messages, as I said I would in my initial post (if I haven't gotten back to you, I'm sorry, but it's difficult to keep up). Don't make this about me.

It is about you. You're anonymous enough, and you can maintain it even moreso by posting an approximation of your class rank; you don't even need to post exact numbers, just something ballpark enough to give people an idea where you're coming from. Without making that part of your public info, we're all free to infer that you're just complaining because you ended up below median and couldn't get employed.

In fact, I encourage anyone reading this to assume that until OP posts some kind of ballpark figures. Until stated otherwise, this just sounds like more sour grapes from someone who couldn't cut it, to me.

My class rank was pretty good AT A T14, but I will not answer it on this thread because it will turn into a peeing contest.

If I say I went to X school, then you will tell me, "Nyanyaaaa I'm going to Yale so toooo bad for you."

It's the same thing if I bring up my class rank.

I didn't end up below median. Now you should be polite and message me if you care so much.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:28 pm

JeanMarie wrote:I didn't end up below median. Now you should be polite and message me if you care so much.

If you want me to know your approximate class rank, you're free to post it publically. Until then I'll continue to assume that you're just another below-median poster with sour grapes, as I'm free to do, and anyone else here reading is free to do as well.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:30 pm

So lets sum it up:

Op went to a Top 14 (wooo fucking hooo). He did this after really killing himself to get super-awesome grades in undergrad (my how impressive), and studying for one test that can be taught to most people, given enough time, etc. After all of that "hard" work -- try laboring outside a few days, it might build character -- you were accepted into the holy grail of higher education, the T14. And after all that, once more, emphasis on "hard" work, you were not rewarded right away with a high paying job, right out of law school?

This is completely wrong. What ever happened to good things come to those that relax in college for 4 years and relax a little less in law school thereafter? You mean to say that its not locked in that you'll be making a ton of money the day you graduate? Absurd! Absurd I say. Don't waste time posting here Op. This needs to be on the nightly news. This needs to be brought to Washington. It simply cannot be true that, in addition to attending a T14, you might have to bust your ass in something less than biglaw for a few years, before you are entitled to models and bottles. This cannot be the case.

In sum. Op: You're a pussy. Deal with it. Brah.
Last edited by reasonable_man on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:30 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
JeanMarie wrote:I didn't end up below median. Now you should be polite and message me if you care so much.

If you want me to know your approximate class rank, you're free to post it publically. Until then I'll continue to assume that you're just another below-median poster with sour grapes, as I'm free to do, and anyone else here reading is free to do as well.

I'd assume she's at median, because she said she wasn't below median.

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:34 pm

dood wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
You learned a lesson at a high cost, but now you know that success is never handed out, that there is truly no free lunch. Take that knowledge and do something with it instead of wallowing. I'm not trying to be mean, but you can't come on here and bitch and complain in the guise of a PSA. Good or bad, we all made the choice on our own and we are well aware of the shitstorm called "ITE".

Free lunch? It wasn't free. Maybe it's really true that lawyers suck at math.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:34 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

I just told you that it wasn't below median. Now you're in denial. :lol:

JeanMarie

Postby JeanMarie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:36 pm

dood wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:In sum. Op: You're a pussy. Deal with it. Brah.

I agree with the above poster. I have shit for grades at GW. I am secure b/c I hustled my ass off. Example: when I didn't get an OCI interview for a firm I was particularly interested in, I brought lunch in exchange for 5 min of a partners time. I literally called every person I knew and scoured the earth for networking contacts - example: my hair stylist put me in touch with 2 partners. I did anything and everything I could in order for me to secure a big law job. Had I not succeed at lunch I would have waited outside of said partner's office, Pursuit of Happiness style. Can you honestly say you did everything in your power to land a big law job?

That's pretty sad, mister. Is there anything you wouldn't have done? Next year, you'll be doing inappropriate things just to keep your job?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”