Oh Stanford. Silly, silly Stanford.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
St.Remy

Oh Stanford. Silly, silly Stanford.

Postby St.Remy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:28 am

So as far as I can tell Stanford requires that I get one of my LOR writers to fill out an additional "form C" that is specific to Stanford Law. It seems that Stanford requires electronic applications, but I don't see any way for evaluators to fill out the Stanford Law Form C without printing it out and mailing it in. Is the standard practice for Form C to ask one of the people who are already writing LORs for you to fill out the stupid Stanford-specific form and then mail it in?

I'm sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but searching did not bring up relevant results for me. I find it a bit absurd that Stanford requests specific stuff like this. If it weren't a top 3 law school let me tell you...

forward

Re: Oh Stanford. Silly, silly Stanford.

Postby forward » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:36 am

St.Remy wrote:So as far as I can tell Stanford requires that I get one of my LOR writers to fill out an additional "form C" that is specific to Stanford Law. It seems that Stanford requires electronic applications, but I don't see any way for evaluators to fill out the Stanford Law Form C without printing it out and mailing it in. Is the standard practice for Form C to ask one of the people who are already writing LORs for you to fill out the stupid Stanford-specific form and then mail it in?

I'm sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but searching did not bring up relevant results for me. I find it a bit absurd that Stanford requests specific stuff like this. If it weren't a top 3 law school let me tell you...

I assumed you just had them send it in with the LOR to LSAC and they scanned it in along erthe let. But maybe I'm wrong...? :shock:

Edit: nope. SLS directs the applicant to submit Form C with the letter to LSAC for processing.
Last edited by forward on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:39 am

If you are not having your LOR do a targeted letter then Form C is not required.

If you choose to submit general letters of recommendation, the Statement of Instructor (Form C) is not required.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:40 am

The instruction for Form C states that your recommender must send it in to LSAC with the standard LOR to be processed. Since they are not required (only B is required) if your recommender does not attach it they will assume your recommender does not want to submit one. That's my understanding from reading instructions from both LSAC app and the Stanford website.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:49 am

Tiva wrote:If you are not having your LOR do a targeted letter then Form C is not required.

Does anyone have any idea if Stanford looks down on applicants that do not have a Form C sent in? Because of their Yale-esque admissions I would think that they would ascribe a rather large importance to getting a recommender to fill out form C. Basically I will get For C filled out if it is at all important, but I won't do it if it is a complete vanity exercise on the part of Stanford perpetrated just so that they can feel special.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:54 am

St.Remy wrote:
Tiva wrote:If you are not having your LOR do a targeted letter then Form C is not required.

Does anyone have any idea if Stanford looks down on applicants that do not have a Form C sent in? Because of their Yale-esque admissions I would think that they would ascribe a rather large importance to getting a recommender to fill out form C. Basically I will get For C filled out if it is at all important, but I won't do it if it is a complete vanity exercise on the part of Stanford perpetrated just so that they can feel special.

Please be aware of the high value Stanford places on school-specific letters of recommendation. If you choose to provide us with a targeted letter, note that your recommender must complete and submit a LSAC Letter of Recommendation form, the Statement of Instructor (Form C), and the letter of recommendation directly to LSAC. All three documents must be submitted to LSAC simultaneously for proper processing.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:08 am

Tiva wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

Please be aware of the high value Stanford places on school-specific letters of recommendation. If you choose to provide us with a targeted letter, note that your recommender must complete and submit a LSAC Letter of Recommendation form, the Statement of Instructor (Form C), and the letter of recommendation directly to LSAC. All three documents must be submitted to LSAC simultaneously for proper processing.

But is there any evidence that students who bother to submit form C actually do better on average than students that don't, or is this just standard admissions rhetoric? I imagine Stanford Law is probably too nebulous to hazard a guess. Basically I'm just wondering if having Form C filled out provides a substantive boost to admissions chances, and if so what is the procedure for turning in form C (email it in somehow, mail it in, etc.). Again, thanks for everyone's help, and if this topic is adequately addressed somewhere else I'm sorry for not having found it.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:59 am

St.Remy wrote:
Tiva wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

and if so what is the procedure for turning in form C (email it in somehow, mail it in, etc.). Again, thanks for everyone's help, and if this topic is adequately addressed somewhere else I'm sorry for not having found it.

Dude,,, it is addressed on the Stanford webpage and the paragraph I quoted.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:03 am

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:14 pm

For Stanford, I created a separate LSAC form and had the recommenders send in that, the letter, and Form C. They sent this in in addition to the regular letter. I don't think you can have only one general letter, send in Form C later, and tell them just to use that for Stanford.

I am sure people have gotten in without Form C, but if they are on the fence about you, I think having done it shows you are really interested in the school. I don't think it requires much extra effort on the recommenders' part - they just have to rank you on a few things and send in another letter. Why not ask your recommenders to do it?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”