How long should I wait to follow-up with recommender?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
christinalsat

How long should I wait to follow-up with recommender?

Postby christinalsat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am

I emailed an old professor of mine last Tuesday to see if he would be willing to write a law school recommendation. I've been out of school for four years, however, and have been out of contact for about two years. In the past, he always responded to my emails immediately and even served as a reference for a couple jobs I applied to, so I'm a little worried about the lack of response. Any advice on how long I should wait before following up with him and how I should do so (phone? email?).

hefox

Re: How long should I wait to follow-up with recommender?

Postby hefox » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am

If he typically responded quickly to emails, do a little research on his current situation. perhaps he had to get a new email, maybe he is on sabbatical, w/e. I wouldn't contact just yet, until some research is done. If he is at the same place and nothing has changed, call him. And talk about whats been going on with yourself for that last 2 years before jumping into the LOR

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks. I actually did poke around a little. His email is the same and there is not really any indication that he is on sabbatical. However, the only strange thing is that there aren't any classes listed under "current courses." How long should I wait before calling him? Is it worth calling the Department's office to see if someone can tell me what his situation is, if there is one?

I don't really see any reason why he wouldn't write me a recommendation and he also seems like the type of person who is up front enough to tell me he doesn't feel comfortable doing it if that is the case. Nonetheless, I find this process incredibly awkward!

Also, how long before I should just ask someone else? I'd like to get my apps in by the end of Oct.

hefox

Postby hefox » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:43 am

call the department. asap. persistence shows your dedication and how important it is to you. its your future. and, when you do talk to him and eventually get to the LOR part, thank him. tell him you will keep him updated on the application process (and actually do that). talk about schools to apply to and what he thinks. appreciate his opinions, etc. most professors like reconnecting with a student, especially one that respects them. oct. is a month away, the sooner you apps are in the better it is for you. call immediately, and remember that polite people arent nags, just overachievers

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Does he have an assistant? I had no luck e-mailing a professor directly, but when I called his assistant, she talked to him and I got a yes response immediately.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Actually, I just called the department and it was confirmed that he was "spotted" today. So he's around. I sent him a follow-up email. We'll see what happens.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”