(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
King of the Dudes

Postby King of the Dudes » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:58 am

Last edited by King of the Dudes on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Re: Glaring Error on Academic Summary Report

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:09 am

King of the Dudes wrote:I just looked at my Academic Summary Report (my last transcript was received two days ago). There were two errors. One, they gave me one less "B" credit hour than they should have. Two, somehow the LSAC completely left out a WF (Withdraw Fail) class that was three credit hours. This makes a large difference, as my Cum. GPA went from 3.36 to 3.44 due to the error. Obviously, I'm not saying anything to the LSAC or my school about this.

1. Is the Academic Summary Report only posted once it is final, or do you think the LSAC will notice their error and fix it?

2a. Do adcomms read both the transcript and Academic Summary Report when making admissions decisions, or do you think they only look at the Academic Summary Report while making admissions decisions, but then look at the transcript once you've decided to attend the school and have made your deposit? Do you think a school could actually not notice the error until after accepting me but then rescind the acceptance once they notice the error?

2b. Do you think the error will help my application process, or do you think that schools will pay attention to my actual transcript and not the Academic Summary Report?

3. What do you think any other implications of this could be? I graduated in July 2010 (my grades/GPA are all final & complete), plan on taking the LSAT in Feb. 2011 (to give myself plenty of time do well on it), and plan on applying in Sep. 2011.

Thanks, in advance, for your help and advice!

1. I doubt, considering they already calculated your final gpa for you, they're going to notice and fix it, as they don't really have a need to look at it again

2a. Whether or not they look at it, they're not going to recalculate the gpa that lsac reported to them

2b. The error, if left as is, will help as much as the gpa boost will help anyone else

3. Well, if you knew of this and did nothing to fix it, it could look bad if they ever somehow found that out, as it would be a form of academic dishonesty. I would report the errors to LSAC just to be on the safe side, and if they don't do anything about it, your gain.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:42 am

delBarco wrote:3. Well, if you knew of this and did nothing to fix it, it could look bad if they ever somehow found that out, as it would be a form of academic dishonesty. I would report the errors to LSAC just to be on the safe side, and if they don't do anything about it, your gain.

This. Could be a problem also in the C+F portion of the bar if it ever got out. And, well, it's in writing on the internet, so it's not like you could deny knowing about it. Not worth it.

Neo

Postby Neo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:24 am

I agree with what the others have said so far. The GPA boost will obviously help you in the admissions process. However, if your school ever finds out/notices this, then you are probably not going to pass your character and fitness test when you apply for the bar. Not passing the character and fitness test would prevent you from ever practicing law. This would definitely be considered academic dishonesty; but, I find it extremely unorthodox that LSAC made an error. For some reason I figured they would be especially meticulous about this sort of thing.

Postby 2014 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:41 pm

LSAC is pretty good at what they do, so perhaps it was done intentionally. If you just report it to them and this is the case, then you have covered yourself for C & F and your conscience will be better for it.

If you take the GPA boost, which admittedly would be somewhat helpful, you might be jeopardizing your career as a lawyer. Is that worth it for .08? That's your call.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:01 pm

Would suck to have spent $160k for a legal education only to fail C&F.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:23 pm

trudat15 wrote:
delBarco wrote:3. Well, if you knew of this and did nothing to fix it, it could look bad if they ever somehow found that out, as it would be a form of academic dishonesty. I would report the errors to LSAC just to be on the safe side, and if they don't do anything about it, your gain.

This. Could be a problem also in the C+F portion of the bar if it ever got out. And, well, it's in writing on the internet, so it's not like you could deny knowing about it. Not worth it.

Seriously? By the time this ever came up, there'd be no way to link his TLS profile with him IRL. Even right now, you would need a subpoena to get his ISP to cough up his info.

It's not likely anyone will ever catch it, and he has plausible deniability in any case. It's not like they can hold him accountable for LSAC's mistake if they can't show he was aware of it. The moral concern is the only obstacle IMO.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:36 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:

Seriously? By the time this ever came up, there'd be no way to link his TLS profile with him IRL. Even right now, you would need a subpoena to get his ISP to cough up his info.

It's not likely anyone will ever catch it, and he has plausible deniability in any case. It's not like they can hold him accountable for LSAC's mistake if they can't show he was aware of it. The moral concern is the only obstacle IMO.

Is he likely to get caught? No.
The bottom line is that he could, and it's not worth it.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:43 pm

trudat15 wrote: Is he likely to get caught? No.
The bottom line is that he could, and it's not worth it.

To be fair we don't know if it's worth it to him. Would that .08 put him above the 25th percentile at his dream school? Because if that's the case then not reporting it would probably be worth it for him on a material level. I think the moral course of action is to report it and be satisfied with whatever LSAC decides to do, but in the end the OP can decide whatever he wants and none of us would be the wiser.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm all for morality, BUT: LSAC is pretty nebulous as to their WF determinations. In some cases, they write them off. In others, they count them as Fs. Search the forums...they go either way depending on the circumstances.

Considering most people probably don't go through the academic summary report and recalculate their GPA, you have gone above and beyond any duty to review. I barely glanced at mine to make sure there were no glaring errors.

If you want to check with LSAC to make sure that there was not an error, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I have a feeling that your WF happened to be one of the ones that the count as non-punitive, so it probably won't matter anyway.

I seriously doubt that this would affect C&F in any way, unless 1. it came up (highly unlikely) 2. they could prove that you KNEW it was absolutely an error, 3. you gained some kind of advantage from it and didn't tell anyone.

LSAC is operated by the law community for the law schools. There is no application requirement that requires you to verify the accuracy of your academic summary report. People get CRAZY about C&F on here. Our school made us read several actual C&F cases that went to the SC in our state. There is no way, at least in our state, that something like this would even get on their radar, unless there was some kind of academic dishonesty in law school and they were looking for a trend or something. Even then, you don't even know that it was an error, and I still doubt that they would go so far as to compare your LSAC report to your UG transcript.

Just sayin. I'm all for morality. But this is most likely not an error, and even if it was, it will have a relatively insignificant effect on your cycle. Save yourself the trouble.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 pm

No way in hell I would do anything to correct it, personally.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Life has tossed you a bone. Take it and when you become a lawyer or something of the type, take it upon yourself to do something equally good for a random person.

Note: "Debting them up" isn't a nice thing.

tootrue

Re: .

Postby tootrue » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:59 am

The people responding to this post can roughly be divided into those who would be effective lawyers and those who would do well in academics or maybe the judiciary.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”