Upward Trend Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tooswolle

Bronze

Upward Trend

Post by tooswolle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:41 am

Now I know alot of people have asked about this and im no different. With most of my things being in except for the lsat I'm wondering how adcoms would see my gpa. Long story short I went to a cc after high school worked full time and at times working two jobs while going to school to help support my family. When I finally went down to working manageable hours *one job at 30 hours a week* my gpa shot up. Needless to say my University GPA is a 3.5 *last two years so far*... im not sure how much I will be brought down by the LSAC but im fearing a 3.3. Any words of wisdom on this? im pretty fucking worried.

P.S. I'm a male and a URM

Hannibal

Gold

Re: Upward Trend

Post by Hannibal » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:43 am

You should probably write an addendum.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:47 am

I'm definitely doing that; what made the situation worst is the fact that I had to take a few remedial classes because my high school fucked me over in preparing me and I don't think the college labels them remedial either. Needless to say its been a struggle but i've worked with what I have. Just trying to get peoples opinion on this. As we all know GPA/LSAT are the major determining factors and i'm scared whether they'll view me as the student I was when I started or if they'll see me as the student I am now...

thesybarite

Bronze

Post by thesybarite » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:27 pm

I have no real knowledge of this, just pure speculation.

From what I've read on law school blogs and admissions info, they like to see evidence of overcoming obstacles in your journey...

All I would say is cane the LSAT, and write a brilliant personal/diversity statement about what you've overcome and triumphed over.

In the end there's a lot to be said for someone who's defied the odds, rather than just had it easy right through.

Best of luck

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:35 pm

As someone who also had an "upward trend" (more like an extreme outlier of a first semester), I can tell you that your GPA is what it is. Trends are good to see, but they don't really mean much. Write an addendum so schools aren't left to wonder what the situation was. That is really all you can, and should, do.

As others have said, the situation may be helpful in looking for a personal statement topic, but don't expect to get too much sympathy regarding your GPA.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:46 am

I'd like to start off by thanking you guys for your advice. In the end it sucks that my G.P.A will be lower but at least I have proof that when all things are "equal" I can preform on a higher level. That being said my practice tests are in the 160's and I hope that can prove to them that I belong at a good school.... At least that's the plan!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”