Can you switch the school you apply to ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gangstar

Can you switch the school you apply to ED?

Postby gangstar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:07 am

So I'm thinking about applying ED to Michigan, but I'm also retaking the October LSAT. If I knock it out of the ballpark, which is a legitimate possibility, can I then either withdraw my application to Michigan and then re-apply as a regular applicant? Or can I switch my app from ED to regular?

Note: I understand that all of this would have to be done BEFORE I receive my decision.

Here's an illustration of what I'm thinking of doing: let's say on October 30th I send in my app to Michigan, and I apply ED. Then, in early November I get my October LSAT score and it's a ____ . At that point, a week after I submit my Michigan app (and most likely it won't even have gone "complete" by then)-- can I change the ED option? Or just withdraw my application altogether?

Thanks in advance!

Edmonds4

Re: Can you switch the school you apply to ED?

Postby Edmonds4 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:22 am

When is the ED deadline for Michigan?? Im taking the October LSAT and waiting for my score before I decide whether to ED at UCLA or not. UCLA's ED deadline isn't until November 15th though.. I'm assuming Michigan's is earlier??

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 am

Once you apply ED you are bound by the contract, I am fairly sure you cannot withdraw even before you receive your decision. Just wait until you get your LSAT to submit your apps so you can decide which to ED to at that point.

gangstar

Postby gangstar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:36 am

Ok...well, how about this?

Can you apply regular decision, and then later on switch it to ED?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:39 am

UVa allows that, the others do not say. Call and ask them but I doubt many of them would.

Realize that if they render a decision (i.e. WL or reject) you will not be able to switch to ED at that point so hopefully they don't respond too early if you go this route.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:00 am

Just apply when you get your score, probably on October 29.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”