Best Way to Highlight Publication? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
adampres

New

Best Way to Highlight Publication?

Post by adampres » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:59 am

A paper I coauthored as an undergrad with a professor has been accepted for publication in a law review at a top 10 school. I'd like to give this more than just a line or two in my resume. What is the best way to highlight it? Work it into the Personal Statement? Addendum highlighting this and other publications?
Should I hope for much of a boost here?

Platinum

Re: Best Way to Highlight Publication?

Post by 2014 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:47 pm

I think that it will be a relatively strong soft. Being published in a t10 law review journal is something that not many other applicants will be able to claim. If you can craft a PS around the experience of working with a professor in a one on one setting, or about how the research or process somehow inspired or changed you, it might be worth it. If you write an addendum when it is already on your resume that MIGHT work, but I think it could also backfire and be seen as a redundancy.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:49 pm

I think that it would be difficult to craft an entire PS around this, unless you had some truly compelling/eye-opening experiences writing this article. It could be weaved into a PS that focuses on your intellectual drive or something of that type, but I would be hesitant to make it the sole focus of your PS (since if that's your PS topic your entire app will basically be "here are my numbers and by the way I wrote this article"). You should definitely not write an addendum that serves no purpose other than to reiterate something in your resume.

Try to weave it into a PS or your "Why X" essays and give it a place of prominence on your resume, but don't make it the focal point of your entire application.

private_ryan

New

Post by private_ryan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:57 pm

you should create a 'research' section on your resume with a brief desc. of the paper and journal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”