2 Q's re: transcripts and resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kellycane

New

2 Q's re: transcripts and resume

Post by kellycane » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 pm

Hello everyone,

First question is regarding transcripts. I took a summer course at a local college in a foreign language, received an "A," and had the transcript sent to my degree-granting institution where the course and grade appear. Since this grade is included on my degree-granting institution's transcript, do I need to request a transcript from the local college where I took the class, or is this redundant?

Second question is regarding the resume. I am currently working as a part-time nanny for three young children, and I was wondering if this will look odd/stand out in a negative way to the admission's committee (although I have a degree in English, so maybe it's not entirely unsurprising, lol). Is there a professional way to include this employment and describe the job other than "fed babies, changed diapers, and did baby sign language?" lol.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Platinum

Re: 2 Q's re: transcripts and resume

Post by 2014 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:51 pm

In terms of the transcript, I would suggest you have both schools send it regardless. While your degree granting might be sufficient, if LSAC counts the A twice, that only benefits you.

As for the resume, if you have any better jobs, even if they are older, I would list them first. If you simply have nothing else to list, then I don't think being a nanny will hurt you, just play up the responsibility, patience, and initiative that it requires.

kellycane

New

Post by kellycane » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:05 pm

As for the resume, if you have any better jobs, even if they are older, I would list them first. If you simply have nothing else to list, then I don't think being a nanny will hurt you, just play up the responsibility, patience, and initiative that it requires.
I have a few other more "prestigious" jobs, but they are at least a year older-- I worked full-time at a law firm as a legal transcriptionist last summer, and I was the assistant news editor for my UG's newspaper. Will having employment listed out of chronological order look sloppy, or like I made a mistake?

Thanks for your help!! :)

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:52 pm

I can only speak with regards to my resume and those I have seen. However, with mine for example I spent this last summer as a counselor at a summer camp, and previous jobs I held were a sports official and I worked on a golf course. While all of these were rewarding and I appreciated the experience from each, they are not on my resume and are instead replaced with slightly older experience in a more professional setting.

I wouldn't be object to listing any job that I had held though. They all paint a picture of who you are and as long as you can show that you grew threw the experience, I don't think it can a negative thing.

I have seen people list jobs in order of relevance though. Sorry for the long response :p

maroonzoon

New

Post by maroonzoon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:30 am

whoops, initially thought you said "international." I don't know about transferred grades from other colleges.

From LSAC:
Transcripts must be sent from institutions even if:
credit was transferred from an institution and it appears on another institution's transcript
the institution is closed
(These transcripts are usually maintained by the department of higher education or by another school in the state in which the school was located, so you will need to contact the state's department of higher education. For international transcripts, contact the Ministry of Education in the country where the school was located.)
"withdraw," "incomplete," etc., are the only grades listed
you have just enrolled
(Request that the registrar's office send a transcript of courses "in progress" or a statement of current enrollment. The document must bear the official registrar's seal.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”