How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby M.M. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:33 pm

*sigh* everyone is obviously under the impression I go around bitter in real life hating everyone and showing it in my actions - no. Obviously the internet is a place where you can speak your mind without fear of reproach (or in this case, a reproach I couldn't care less about) so obviously my thoughts will be more extreme. I act as if it doesn't bother me toward other people, if I did otherwise I'd be a pariah. As far as "advising me" on how to live my life (e.g. stop whining) you're morons if you think someone telling me how to live my life on an internet forum I just met will change me. (In b4 someone fails to notice the distinction between law school / professional advice and advice such as you've given me

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Grats on aspiring to superiority, I hope that works out for you.

hefox
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby hefox » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Channel your bitterness into something positive. Put it in you ps. You work all of college even though your parnets could help you, because you wanted to take the initiative to start growing up. You are about pushing yourself. You want to make sure that you can handle law school by working as much as possible in ug. You are commited to you professional success and thus have commited yourself to maintaining a job in order to best prepare you socially for you professional career. idk, I'd say keeping a job adds character to your ps. Just embellish the experience and stress clear from the complaining

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby M.M. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:39 pm

hefox wrote:Channel your bitterness into something positive. Put it in you ps. You work all of college even though your parnets could help you, because you wanted to take the initiative to start growing up. You are about pushing yourself. You want to make sure that you can handle law school by working as much as possible in ug. You are commited to you professional success and thus have commited yourself to maintaining a job in order to best prepare you socially for you professional career. idk, I'd say keeping a job adds character to your ps. Just embellish the experience and stress clear from the complaining

I do, and thanks. If I didn't make myself enjoy it and think positively about it (my work, that is) and about my theoretical future, and compare it to the current situation I'd probably go crazy :p

BTW whatever the guy above's name is: you're a real tryhard man lol

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:41 pm

M.M. wrote:*sigh* everyone is obviously under the impression I go around bitter in real life hating everyone and showing it in my actions - no. Obviously the internet is a place where you can speak your mind without fear of reproach (or in this case, a reproach I couldn't care less about) so obviously my thoughts will be more extreme. I act as if it doesn't bother me toward other people, if I did otherwise I'd be a pariah. e


Ah, I see. So you're not whiny, you're fake. Makes it all much better.

hefox
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby hefox » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:44 pm

M.M. wrote:
hefox wrote:Channel your bitterness into something positive. Put it in you ps. You work all of college even though your parnets could help you, because you wanted to take the initiative to start growing up. You are about pushing yourself. You want to make sure that you can handle law school by working as much as possible in ug. You are commited to you professional success and thus have commited yourself to maintaining a job in order to best prepare you socially for you professional career. idk, I'd say keeping a job adds character to your ps. Just embellish the experience and stress clear from the complaining

I do, and thanks. If I didn't make myself enjoy it and think positively about it (my work, that is) and about my theoretical future, and compare it to the current situation I'd probably go crazy :p

BTW whatever the guy above's name is: you're a real tryhard man lol



Me? I'm a chick.

allison34363
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby allison34363 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:15 pm

From what I understand, it doesn't mean much to law schools (GPA and LSAT do, though)... but it means a lot to employers while you are going through OCI.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby M.M. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:16 pm

I don't know how to multiquote so I just put it all together myself

hefox wrote:
M.M. wrote:
hefox wrote:
BTW whatever the guy above's name is: you're a real tryhard man lol



Me? I'm a chick.



Was referring to the guy who has posted multiple times and said "humorless internet poster is humorless" on the first page.
In response to that comment: I go to better forums if I want to be humored

bostonlawchick wrote:I really hope you don't sound so entitled in your PS. Life isn't fair, highness.

I take 18-21 credits a semester while working 40 hours a week to help my parents pay their bills. Never for one second have I thought that I deserved resources more than trust fund kids just because they squander them.

No Adcomm is going to look at your 3.6 or 3.8 and think that 15 hours a week of work is what stopped you from getting a 4.0.

p.s. some people would kill for that "pauper's pay" you make.


Should I worship you now or later ?

St.Remy wrote:
M.M. wrote:Back on topic ... I don't care to waste my time replying to your "snark" so all such comments will be ignored and considered a bump... as I said I've been on forums for around 8 years now and am basically untrollable.

Blah blah blah blah blha

In other words: advice or GTFO, as that is what the purpose of this forum is


Your question was answered in the first reply.


Sorry didn't know the first answer dictated the consensus on this forum

The beautiful part of this is that people with this complaint inevitably just wish they could party every night, drive nice cars, and wear fancy clothes. It's truly addling that the hypocrisy in this whine isn't evident to the author.

Not that I don't relate. I worked a lot in college, usually saved what I thought was a sufficient amount and then quit, only to join in on the nice things and partying. Inevitably I'd go back to work. Was I jealous of the kids who didn't have to? Of course, although at my undergrad a student who didn't hold down even a fifteen hour job was rare. I don't blame them, though. I blame Johnny Walker. That bastard got thousands of dollars from me.


Why else would I be working as hard as I do unless to drive nice cars and wear fancy clothes (among other things) ?
Of course I wish I could party, though not every night, as I enjoy being fit and strong (used to box and wrestle, now that I hurt my neck I just lift)

Only I want to work now and party later, when I'm making good money.

Mike12188 wrote:Go to a state school and take out loans. I know plenty of people who work way more than 20 hours a week, paid their way through college, and pay for the nice car they drive as well as every other bill down to the cell phone. I understand its not the greatest situation but you are really blowing it out of proportion and I only say this because if you project this bitterness through you application (PS or DS) I think you might do yourself a disservice.


Thanks for the (legitimate) advice. I do to go a state school and have taken out loans, though it appears I'll have to take out more. In all honesty I'm barely familiar with the loan process at all and don't know how much I can take out; next semester I'll probably be taking out much more.

hijodehombre wrote:That's the right attitude: channel that bitterness into motivation. The fact that you worked through your undergrad will matter when comparing you to those with similar numbers who didn't.


8)

You just sound a little entitled, is all. I know your situation isn't exactly ideal, but I think you fail to understand exactly how many people there are out there that are in similar or worse situations and overcome them without acting like they deserve to be bailed out by their parents.

Also, as an aerospace engineer with a lot of friends that were business/sociology/communications majors, "studying while everyone else was partying" doesn't exactly give you the right to be bitter. Yeah, life's unfair and we'd all get so much further if we'd been born into old money and educated at a Phillips Academy. Most of us weren't, and we make do. I have a friend who graduated from my major as a D1 varsity athlete (his source of scholarship), managing 18 hours a semester of 400-level technical coursework alongside two-a-day practices (6 AM and 6 PM). I never once heard the guy complain or use it as an excuse.


Maybe I just surround myself with a bunch of tards, but I only know one person who does well in college and makes use of his not having to work. Maybe two. So no, my situation isn't that common (at least it doesn't seem that way to me). If my situation was more common it'd be a lot harder to get into law school.

Edit: gah, it put it all into one quote. You all can read through and find your posts and mind to them if you like, if not I don't blame you much

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby czelede » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:04 pm

M.M. wrote:Maybe I just surround myself with a bunch of tards, but I only know one person who does well in college and makes use of his not having to work. Maybe two. So no, my situation isn't that common (at least it doesn't seem that way to me). If my situation was more common it'd be a lot harder to get into law school.

Edit: gah, it put it all into one quote. You all can read through and find your posts and mind to them if you like, if not I don't blame you much


I think what people are trying to tell you in this thread is that yes, it is that common (even if it isn't among your circle of friends and acquaintances). Yes, there are plenty of people who receive financial assistance from their parents, but almost EVERYONE I've known has had to pay their way in some way or the other. Most take out loans, some get scholarships. I know kids that worked kitchen cleanup 15 hours a week to sustain their scholarships.

I don't know what you quite mean by "it'd be a lot harder to get into law school", but I can tell you that the majority of people gaining entrance into top top schools are not trust fund babies born with silver spoons in their mouths. Yes, there are a decent amount of them that have always had access to great opportunities but that's irrelevant anyways because in the end, most of them took advantage of those opportunities.

One thing that TLS has done for me (in a good way) is realizing that 99% of the time, "good softs" are just "average softs." When you're looking at truly competitive schools, you have a body of applicants that are well-rounded and intelligent on the whole - many have very unique stories, many have struggled, all have worked fairly hard in some way or the other (or made up for it with a great LSAT score, which requires a certain level of intelligence/hard work on its own). Everybody wants to think that they're the special snowflake with an outstanding life story and spectacular excuses. But if you take a minute and really look at the people that are entering the best schools in the nation you'll realize just how many outstanding people there really are.

The bottom line: just because your parents have money doesn't mean they are obligated to spend it on your education. They earned it. You didn't. To feel bitter that they aren't, to feel bitter that paying for school causes you to lose the chance to "party" like your friends - this just comes off as an incredibly immature and entitled attitude to have. If you bring that attitude to whine to an internet forum of generally well-educated people, don't get butthurt when they call you out on it.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby hijodehombre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:15 pm

czelede wrote:
M.M. wrote:Maybe I just surround myself with a bunch of tards, but I only know one person who does well in college and makes use of his not having to work. Maybe two. So no, my situation isn't that common (at least it doesn't seem that way to me). If my situation was more common it'd be a lot harder to get into law school.

Edit: gah, it put it all into one quote. You all can read through and find your posts and mind to them if you like, if not I don't blame you much


I think what people are trying to tell you in this thread is that yes, it is that common (even if it isn't among your circle of friends and acquaintances). Yes, there are plenty of people who receive financial assistance from their parents, but almost EVERYONE I've known has had to pay their way in some way or the other. Most take out loans, some get scholarships. I know kids that worked kitchen cleanup 15 hours a week to sustain their scholarships.

I don't know what you quite mean by "it'd be a lot harder to get into law school", but I can tell you that the majority of people gaining entrance into top top schools are not trust fund babies born with silver spoons in their mouths. Yes, there are a decent amount of them that have always had access to great opportunities but that's irrelevant anyways because in the end, most of them took advantage of those opportunities.

One thing that TLS has done for me (in a good way) is realizing that 99% of the time, "good softs" are just "average softs." When you're looking at truly competitive schools, you have a body of applicants that are well-rounded and intelligent on the whole - many have very unique stories, many have struggled, all have worked fairly hard in some way or the other (or made up for it with a great LSAT score, which requires a certain level of intelligence/hard work on its own). Everybody wants to think that they're the special snowflake with an outstanding life story and spectacular excuses. But if you take a minute and really look at the people that are entering the best schools in the nation you'll realize just how many outstanding people there really are.

The bottom line: just because your parents have money doesn't mean they are obligated to spend it on your education. They earned it. You didn't. To feel bitter that they aren't, to feel bitter that paying for school causes you to lose the chance to "party" like your friends - this just comes off as an incredibly immature and entitled attitude to have. If you bring that attitude to whine to an internet forum of generally well-educated people, don't get butthurt when they call you out on it.


+1

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:17 pm

You're right, we're all dicks. Write your P.S. about how you slaved fifteen hours a week and didn't even get to party all the time OR drive a super nice car and you couldn't afford that button up from the catalog so of course the girls wouldn't give you the time of day, and be sure to let them know that everyone else applying is a phony who gets everything from their parents and didn't really work hard or anything, at least not like you...

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby beachbum » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:40 pm

ITT: OP has a stick up his ass.

You're not a special snowflake, dude. Tons of people have it as bad or worse than you and manage to do just fine. Now you've gotten the advice you came here for (i.e. it doesn't make much of a difference), so get out before you make even more of an ass of yourself.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby Dany » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm mostly concerned with the fact that OP has spent over eight years on internet forums and doesn't understand the concept of a meme OR how to quote posts. The horror!

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 pm

M.M. wrote:I am currently a sophomore with about a 3.6 average, trying to get it into the 3.8 range. However, unlike many of my peers and unlike many of the pampered trust fund babies that probably attend the top law schools I seek to get into, I have been given no money from my parents (ok, a truly negligible amount) and have to work my way through college. I'm only working part time however, 15-25 hours a week.

I was considering saving all I can and living scarcely so that I may quit my job and be able to apply more of my time to school and less to working for this ridiculous paupers' pay. However, if law schools value the necessity to keep a job at all and weigh your chances of getting in accordingly, it'd make it easier on me simply to continue working.

I'm new at this forum, so excuse me if this is the wrong place or this is a frequently asked question.

Also: my parents are somewhat middle class, neither has taken any college at all ... not sure how to gauge their pay scale for you guys, but if their pay scale is applicable is there a way I can make it clear they barely gave me any money?

I worked 40-45 hours throughout undergrad, geez I hope I don't go to the same school as you. It wont be fair if im surrounded by lazy bums who had everything handed to them. Working 20-25 hours with both arms, pathetic.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:01 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
M.M. wrote:I am currently a sophomore with about a 3.6 average, trying to get it into the 3.8 range. However, unlike many of my peers and unlike many of the pampered trust fund babies that probably attend the top law schools I seek to get into, I have been given no money from my parents (ok, a truly negligible amount) and have to work my way through college. I'm only working part time however, 15-25 hours a week.

I was considering saving all I can and living scarcely so that I may quit my job and be able to apply more of my time to school and less to working for this ridiculous paupers' pay. However, if law schools value the necessity to keep a job at all and weigh your chances of getting in accordingly, it'd make it easier on me simply to continue working.

I'm new at this forum, so excuse me if this is the wrong place or this is a frequently asked question.

Also: my parents are somewhat middle class, neither has taken any college at all ... not sure how to gauge their pay scale for you guys, but if their pay scale is applicable is there a way I can make it clear they barely gave me any money?

I worked 40-45 hours throughout undergrad, geez I hope I don't go to the same school as you. It wont be fair if im surrounded by lazy bums who had everything handed to them. Working 20-25 hours with both arms, pathetic.

^ what, pathetic. I worked 45-50 hours a day!!!! and i was a hutu in the congo when it was not cool being a hutu in the congo.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:04 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
M.M. wrote:I am currently a sophomore with about a 3.6 average, trying to get it into the 3.8 range. However, unlike many of my peers and unlike many of the pampered trust fund babies that probably attend the top law schools I seek to get into, I have been given no money from my parents (ok, a truly negligible amount) and have to work my way through college. I'm only working part time however, 15-25 hours a week.

I was considering saving all I can and living scarcely so that I may quit my job and be able to apply more of my time to school and less to working for this ridiculous paupers' pay. However, if law schools value the necessity to keep a job at all and weigh your chances of getting in accordingly, it'd make it easier on me simply to continue working.

I'm new at this forum, so excuse me if this is the wrong place or this is a frequently asked question.

Also: my parents are somewhat middle class, neither has taken any college at all ... not sure how to gauge their pay scale for you guys, but if their pay scale is applicable is there a way I can make it clear they barely gave me any money?

I worked 40-45 hours throughout undergrad, geez I hope I don't go to the same school as you. It wont be fair if im surrounded by lazy bums who had everything handed to them. Working 20-25 hours with both arms, pathetic.

^ what, pathetic. I worked 45-50 hours a day!!!! and i was a hutu in the congo when it was not cool being a hutu in the congo.

^ what, pathetic. I worked 50-55 hours in an hour!!!! And i have a banana growing out of my left nipple and im missing 3 toes on each foot. I also support my twin sisters because my parents died in a hot dog eating competition. (an engine broke off a plane and landed on them) crappy middle class value system.

Tsispilos
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby Tsispilos » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:06 pm

OP:

In American life, some people will have monetary advantages over you--if you don't like that, find a more egalitarian country. Wealthier people will have a leg up on you academically, will not have to be nice in order to have friends (they can just throw a party and people will be friends with them), will find it easier to lure attractive members of the opposite sex into their beds, and will generally not have the same day to day worries as you.

But I can tell you from having grown up under communism, that egalitarianism definitely a whole lot less fun: instead of a country with winners and losers, everyone got the default card of being a loser and there was nothing you could do about it.

I moved to America so that one day I could be a winner. Remove the stick from your ass and compete.

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:11 pm

Sophomores these days...

User avatar
spanktheduck
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:23 am

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby spanktheduck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:20 pm

OP, try this site. autoadmit.com

It seems like it might fit u better

slacker
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby slacker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Didn't read through whole thread, just skimmed, but if OP thinks that his parents not giving him money has made him a harder worker, more focused, better prepared for life, etc. than his lazy idiotic peers, then he should be grateful. Sounds like you (OP) wish you were partying and crap all the time like the "trust fund babies" or whatever you said. And based on your bitterness and everything you've said, that seems like all you would do if they had given you money. Seriously, be grateful that your parents are making you do this yourself. Builds character. And based on how little you have I can only imagine what you'd be like if they didn't do this for you.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:44 pm

LSAT/GPA, URM status

/thread

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby Deuce » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Sentry wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
M.M. wrote:
czelede wrote:Law schools don't care if you worked during the school year (in that if you did, it's really just a "soft" factor more than anything, but they don't view it as any sort of necessity). You will not gain entrance to anywhere your numbers wouldn't have taken you because you worked in undergrad, and you will not be precluded from attending schools your numbers qualify you for because you didn't.

Just focus on doing the best you can and getting the best LSAT score you can (way more important than undergrad WE and generally a little more important than grades).

For the record, you sound a little bitter about working 15-25 hours a week. But the fact of the matter is, a lot of people paid their way through college. A lot of people have extenuating circumstances which affect their capacity to perform at their maximum potential during undergrad (illnesses, family issues, etc.) A lot of people have spent just as much time as you during school doing internships for credit or pursuing rigorous double major programs. They were capable of managing their academics throughout. And a lot of these people are also applying to the law schools you seek entrance to (in addition to the "trust fund babies").



I'm bitter because I'm surrounded by idiots who squander their parents money while I get none, while I aspire to superiority and they to mediocrity but the resources to do each are given to the wrong people entirely. I'm bitter because I've spent the last two years working my ass off while everyone partied every night, while I studied and trained (I play[ed] a sport as well, well not any more as I basically broke my neck). I'm bitter because my parents, who I love to death and would never act ungrateful to and have always treated nicely, are applying their miserable middle class values to my life. That is, they want me to "learn the value of a dollar" but at the cost of my chance to make something truly great of myself. The difference between me and the people who have to pay their way, largely, is that their parents probably couldn't afford to help them through school. Mine can and are not. I'm bitter because while all my peers are driving nice cars and spending money abundantly without working, I'm surviving on tattered hand me down crap.

But I use this bitterness to fuel me ... because while my lack of money right now is abysmal, it'll be nothing compared to the joy I'll obtain from becoming much more than anyone ever expected of me. These are my reasons, and I have enough experience on forums (though not of this type) to know that you all will continue to condescend or at least comment on my bitterness.

Thanks for the help regarding the effects of having a job on admission, looks like it's going to be tough .. whatever. I'll do the best I can


U mad?

--ImageRemoved--

:lol: :lol: :lol: Awesome.

Seriously OP, when did you begin supporting yourself 100% without any outside money from parents, etc.? I began when I was 17, but you wouldn't know it because I don't walk around bitching about people who are in a better financial situation than I am. Play the deck of cards life handed you and get that stick out from under there.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:57 pm

I dont know about law school admission, but I know if you take a year off it will help you get work in this office. I would say intern if you can, and as much as possible

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:01 pm

OP -

Image

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: How valued is having a job while in undergrad to law schools

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Elaborate troll or a fucking retard.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], jtfoust and 6 guests