Should I attach a LoR from my employer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
williammmc

Should I attach a LoR from my employer?

Postby williammmc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:42 am

I worked at a restaurant for five years, and this span was during my entire university education. My boss has written me a LoR and I need to know whether or not I should attach it. It is a strong letter but only for my position as a waiter... Anyone have any suggestions on this? If you need further information to provide me with advice, just post or pm me.

beachbum

Re: Should I attach a LoR from my employer?

Postby beachbum » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:51 am

hmm, that's tough. You worked this job during the school year as well (i.e. it wasn't just a summer job)? If you feel it is particularly strong, you might submit it along with two academic LORs.

williammmc

Postby williammmc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:21 pm

Yes, all throughout the school year. I also received promotions during my time there (restaurant promotions are still promotions!) and that is stated in the LoR. My boss also talks about many charity events I volunteered for.

I also have 2 very strong academic letters from professors in two important departments in which I have done quite a bit of work/research, so it isn't as if I am in dire need of letters...

I don't know what to do!!!

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:34 pm

williammmc wrote:Yes, all throughout the school year. I also received promotions during my time there (restaurant promotions are still promotions!) and that is stated in the LoR. My boss also talks about many charity events I volunteered for.

I also have 2 very strong academic letters from professors in two important departments in which I have done quite a bit of work/research, so it isn't as if I am in dire need of letters...

I'd send the two academic LORs, because that's the number and kind that most schools want. You could keep the restaurant LOR in your back pocket in case of a waitlist. Frankly I don't know how most schools look at LORs from a job like waiting tables, so I'd just stick with the other ones that you have at this point.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:38 pm

St.Remy wrote:
williammmc wrote:Yes, all throughout the school year. I also received promotions during my time there (restaurant promotions are still promotions!) and that is stated in the LoR. My boss also talks about many charity events I volunteered for.

I'd send the two academic LORs, because that's the number and kind that most schools want. You could keep the restaurant LOR in your back pocket in case of a waitlist. Frankly I don't know how most schools look at LORs from a job like waiting tables, so I'd just stick with the other ones that you have at this point.

I like this idea.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”