Defer and pursue other professional application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Saltqjibo

Bronze

Defer and pursue other professional application?

Post by Saltqjibo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Posted this in the canadian version of this forum. Curious as to how American schools would react:

I am having somewhat of a late crisis of faith in regard to applying to law school. I am in an excellent position, high GPA and very high LSAT, however I am wondering if I simply went down the law route because I doubted my ability to get into a worthwhile med program. My question is, can I apply this year and if I am accepted defer while I finish up my prereqs and apply to med school and see what happens? I know it would be a no go if I was applying to other law schools, but are other fields okay?

And I know... I don't need the standard law and med lecture. I have a double major in arts and science so I have been wavering for sometime (love them both)

edit: would apply to law for sept 2011 and defer until 2012 while I applied to med

bk1

Diamond

Re: Defer and pursue other professional application?

Post by bk1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Contact both the law and med schools. Ask them.

Other than that, why apply now with the intention to defer? Most schools will only allow deferrals for a very good reason that suddenly came up and almost all will not allow you to defer until you have an acceptance in hand (UMich being an exception). Just apply next year, there is no real difference, and you won't have to worry about deferring.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”