Sending in application before October LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dustinv
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Sending in application before October LSAT

Postby dustinv » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:37 am

I took the June LSAT and scored decently, but not as well as I wanted to. I will be taking the October 9th LSAT. I was wondering if I submit my application before my score is in if the school will wait to review my application until they receive the score for the October LSAT? What is the best way to go about ensuring that my application is not reviewed until the October lsat scores are in? I know some of the colleges I'm going to be applying to specifically state they will not review your file until they receive your expected LSAT scores (Baylor). While another (U of Houston) states that you must append an online letter requesting to hold your file until the score is in. Most schools though simply make no mention even though they ask for expected test dates.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Sending in application before October LSAT

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:44 am

Most applications will ask if you are taking the LSAT at a future date, and if not, they can see it in your LSAC data anyway. The vast majority of schools will not review your application until they receive your new score, as long as they know that you're retaking.

dustinv
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Sending in application before October LSAT

Postby dustinv » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:46 am

Adjudicator wrote:Most applications will ask if you are taking the LSAT at a future date, and if not, they can see it in your LSAC data anyway. The vast majority of schools will not review your application until they receive your new score, as long as they know that you're retaking.



Thanks for the help. So would you suggest contacting each individual school regarding their policy and what I need to do to ensure that my application is not reviewed until the other score is received?

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Sending in application before October LSAT

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:03 am

dustinv wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:Most applications will ask if you are taking the LSAT at a future date, and if not, they can see it in your LSAC data anyway. The vast majority of schools will not review your application until they receive your new score, as long as they know that you're retaking.



Thanks for the help. So would you suggest contacting each individual school regarding their policy and what I need to do to ensure that my application is not reviewed until the other score is received?


Yeah, if you send an email to Admissions they should be happy to clarify it for you, just in case. But I suspect most of them will just hold on to your app until your new score comes in.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Sending in application before October LSAT

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:55 am

Often, this is stated on the app itself. Try checking them before you email admissions.

dustinv
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Sending in application before October LSAT

Postby dustinv » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:06 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Often, this is stated on the app itself. Try checking them before you email admissions.


I addressed that in the first post

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Sending in application before October LSAT

Postby champ33 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm doing the same thing, and I'm feeling like I'll just wait until Nov. 1 to send my apps. That's still pretty early and judging by last cycle applying then won't decrease scholarships or chacnes at acceptances. Am I right here?

User avatar
richardhelms
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Sending in application before October LSAT

Postby richardhelms » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:27 am

I sent in my Early Decision application to UVA with an addendum requesting a hold on review until after October LSAT scores were released. Dean Trujillo from UVA recommended doing this as soon as possible after the application was available. I am sure it does not really matter if I waited on applying ED until AFTER the October LSAT scores were released, but I figure, what the hell.

User avatar
jfb
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 am

Re: Sending in application before October LSAT

Postby jfb » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:04 am

I was debating applying before I get my retake score as well. I have read on this site, that although a school may wait to receive your retake score before making a decision, your app could be placed closer to the bottom of a very large stack of apps (based on your lower score), which could outweigh the benifit of applying in Sept. or Oct. As long as you get them in before Thanksgiving, I think you are still pretty early.

Another plus of waiting is that you can use this time to focus on the LSAt and then worry about putting together apps once you have that out of the way and are waiting to get your score.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lawl_Schoolz, zot1 and 11 guests