LOR Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whymeohgodno

LOR Question

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm about to ask my professors for my LOR's.

To be honest, I didn't get to know them that well, but I'm pretty sure they recognize me. I realize this isn't going to be a glowing letter but it's better than nothing.

The professors I'm asking are both professors in my major that I've taken 3 classes (each) with and gotten all A's.

I'm not sure what to give them if they say yes to writing the letter.

My resume is empty, so should I just give them essays that I've written for their class?

But to be frank, I threw out these essays...so what should I do?

xyzzzzzzzz

Re: LOR Question

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:00 pm

give them a working draft of your personal statement, a copy of your transcript- highlight the courses you took with them, some information about why you want to go to law school (if not covered in your ps), a resume, and anything else you want them to know. Oh and the form for lsac.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:16 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:give them a working draft of your personal statement, a copy of your transcript- highlight the courses you took with them, some information about why you want to go to law school (if not covered in your ps), a resume, and anything else you want them to know. Oh and the form for lsac.

I haven't started my PS yet. If I ask now, when do you think I should get all this in to the professor by?

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:35 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:I'm about to ask my professors for my LOR's.
To be honest, I didn't get to know them that well, but I'm pretty sure they recognize me. I realize this isn't going to be a glowing letter but it's better than nothing.
The professors I'm asking are both professors in my major that I've taken 3 classes (each) with and gotten all A's.
I'm not sure what to give them if they say yes to writing the letter.
My resume is empty, so should I just give them essays that I've written for their class?
But to be frank, I threw out these essays...so what should I do?

First, how the hell can they not recognize you?
Second, how the hell do people take a professor so many times? I've only got one prof that I've done twice.
Third, why the hell wouldn't they give you a good letter if you always got As with them?
Fourth, why the hell don't you go read this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/letters- ... ation.html

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:44 pm

I hadn't started my PS either when I asked my recommenders. Inside a bright colored folder (so it's easy to find/hard for them to misplace) I gave them:

-LSAC letter of recommendation form, signed
-a transcript with the class I took with them highlighted
-copy of my resume
-LSAT score
-LSDAS report (I transferred and had trouble getting a copy of my grades from my first school, so I included this)
-list of schools I plan to apply to

I too had thrown out graded copies of my work from the classes, but I still had copies saved to my computer. Do you have copies saved somewhere? If you do, you could offer your ungraded copy and see if that's of any help. If you don't have any copy of any of your work, perhaps you remember what it was about and can give them a short summary of your experience in their class to help trigger their memory about you? Just a suggestion.

I also wrote a short note with instructions, reminding them of the deadline, and thanking them for their help. At the bottom of the note, I put an a quick summary of LSAT score, LSDAS GPA, deadline, and LSAC fax number. Also include your contact information in case they have any questions. The deadline I proposed was a month from the date of the meeting, and both professors felt that was plenty of time.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:give them a working draft of your personal statement, a copy of your transcript- highlight the courses you took with them, some information about why you want to go to law school (if not covered in your ps), a resume, and anything else you want them to know. Oh and the form for lsac.

I haven't started my PS yet. If I ask now, when do you think I should get all this in to the professor by?

If you didn't know them too well, I would get them this info quickly, as in have it with you when you ask. This is even more important if you're applying this cycle. Basically, the point of this information is to help them write a solid letter, preferably one that doesn't sound like a form letter. This is especially important for you since you have a weak relationship. You could give ideas, an outline even, of your ps, or just something that says I'm interested in law school because of x and y. It will help them write the letter.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I've decided to try and write a rough draft of my PS before asking my professors for a letter since I have no resume to speak of (pathetic I know).

One question I have about personal statements is that, during the summer I've helped my parents out at their liquor store, but it wasn't an official "job" (I didn't get paid for it), so it's not on my resume and there is no record of work experience.

If I wrote something which mentioned me working at the store, would law school admissions get suspicious since it's not on my resume?

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:13 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys.

I've decided to try and write a rough draft of my PS before asking my professors for a letter since I have no resume to speak of (pathetic I know).

One question I have about personal statements is that, during the summer I've helped my parents out at their liquor store, but it wasn't an official "job" (I didn't get paid for it), so it's not on my resume and there is no record of work experience.

If I wrote something which mentioned me working at the store, would law school admissions get suspicious since it's not on my resume?

I wouldn't worry. It's not as if you were getting paid under the table and evading taxes. Put it on your resume and list it as an unofficial capacity- I would do this if my resume was weak.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:

I wouldn't worry. It's not as if you were getting paid under the table and evading taxes. Put it on your resume and list it as an unofficial capacity- I would do this if my resume was weak.

You can list stuff like that under unofficial capacity?

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:

You can list stuff like that under unofficial capacity?

Yeah, you could just list it as an activity or volunteer work not under employment- even if it kinda resembles employment without a paycheck. Softs typically don't make or break applications.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”