Submitting app with a low LSAT score but waiting on retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
neptunestar

Submitting app with a low LSAT score but waiting on retake?

Postby neptunestar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Took the June LSAT, didnt do as well as hoped - retaking in October

I talked to a few admissions people (one of which was Fordham) and they said that you can submit your application and they will hold off on it until your second LSAT score comes in. The admissions person said that this benefits the applicant because then when the 2nd LSAT score comes in, there wont be any lag between submitting on LSAC and the school receiving it, it'll be instantly complete in the school's system.

Anyone know much about this?

I'm still a bit concerned with doing it considering I dont want them to just see my 1st LSAT score and mentally rule me out already?

bk1

Re: Submitting app with a low LSAT score but waiting on retake?

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:55 pm

They do not look at your file at all until it goes complete.

ballents

Postby ballents » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:07 pm

I understand that they don't look at the file until it's complete. However, there are two schools that I'm considering EDing to, and both have deadlines of November 1st. They will wait for the LSAT, my applications just needs to be in, not complete, but the school I choose to ED to depends on my LSAT score. Can I decide this after the deadline for ED?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Most schools require you to choose whether you are ED'ing or not when you submit the app. Many of them also require you to snail mail in a signed copy of the ED contract. I would call and ask if you can switch from regular to ED or vice versa. For some, like UVa, it is possible. For others I do not know.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:01 pm

neptunestar wrote:I talked to a few admissions people (one of which was Fordham) and they said that you can submit your application and they will hold off on it until your second LSAT score comes in. The admissions person said that this benefits the applicant because then when the 2nd LSAT score comes in, there wont be any lag between submitting on LSAC and the school receiving it, it'll be instantly complete in the school's system.

Anyone know much about this?

This is an extremely wise idea. Last year, my application was "processing" at several schools for a month or more before it went complete. Processing means waiting 2 weeks for my paper to arrive from LSAC, labeling a folder, sticking my application in it, and entering my data into a database. That's the difference the adcomm was telling you about. If you wait until you have your score to transmit your app, then there's another wait you don't even know about yet all ready for you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”