Applications and FAFSA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abitaman6363

Bronze

Applications and FAFSA

Post by abitaman6363 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:09 am

Two questions:

1) It is not necessary to apply for financial aid at the same time as applying to law school, correct?
2) When is the earliest one may complete the FAFSA and begin applying for financial aid?

Thanks

northwood

Platinum

Re: Applications and FAFSA

Post by northwood » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:41 am

as long as you have your tax information from the previous fiscal year, I think you can do FAFSA when you apply. However, its really early to worry about that now. Depending on your school, and state, there are different deadlines for fasfa ( you can access this informaiton on the fasfa website). There is only room for 8 schools on the list, so if you have applied to more than 8, I would wait until you know who your "ELITE 8" schools ( thanks march madness for the term) are. You can always edit the names of the schools on your form as needed though.
Generally speaking, January is a good starting time.( Most states need it completed by March or April- but double check your specific state)

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:48 am

northwood wrote:as long as you have your tax information from the previous fiscal year, I think you can do FAFSA when you apply. However, its really early to worry about that now. Depending on your school, and state, there are different deadlines for fasfa ( you can access this informaiton on the fasfa website). There is only room for 8 schools on the list, so if you have applied to more than 8, I would wait until you know who your "ELITE 8" schools ( thanks march madness for the term) are. You can always edit the names of the schools on your form as needed though.
Generally speaking, January is a good starting time.( Most states need it completed by March or April- but double check your specific state)
The FAFSA for the year you will be going into school will be available January 1. If you do it when you apply (assuming you apply before January 1, 2011) then I'm pretty sure you would be doing the FAFSA for this year.

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:49 am

Great reply. Thanks a bunch

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”