Where should I ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Where should I ED?

NYU
68%
Michigan
32%

Total votes: 22

vicuna

Where should I ED?

Postby vicuna » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:56 pm

I have a 170 and a 3.7 from a non-HYP Ivy. My softs are only average at best, but I do have a strong personal statement. My first choice is NYU, with Michigan a very close second. I love both Ann Arbor and the Village, despite their obvious differences, and I am interested in PI/Gov Law.

According to LSN and LSP, I have a good shot at Michigan, though it is certainly not a slam dunk. My chances at NYU seem very slight, with only a few examples of non-URMs with similar numbers gaining admission, even with an ED application.

So, what would you do? Go the safe route and ED to Michigan, therefore cementing a spot in MVP? Or shoot for NYU, given their superb PI reputation and general CCN prestige?

Paulocaster

Re: Where should I ED?

Postby Paulocaster » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:03 pm

If NYU is your top choice and you would not mind taking on the debt that typically comes with an ED acceptance, then you should ED at NYU. Suppose your suspicions are correct and you do not get accepted NYU--at least you will know that you gave NYU your best shot and there was little more you could do with your application. As for Michigan, apply as early as possible. Not only do you have good numbers for Michigan, an early, non-ED application might net you some $$$.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:16 pm

With a 3.7 and a 170, unless he has a killer soft, he's out at NYU. He is already below both their medians for last year. At Michigan, though, he is pretty strong, and if he will forgo scholly for a much greater admit, he should do it. ED to Michigan should be in the bag.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:21 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:With a 3.7 and a 170, unless he has a killer soft, he's out at NYU. He is already below both their medians for last year. At Michigan, though, he is pretty strong, and if he will forgo scholly for a much greater admit, he should do it. ED to Michigan should be in the bag.

+1

The first rule of law admissions is that, unless you're a URM, applicants below both medians are denied.

Disclosure: going to Michigan and still have a buzz from the kool aid.

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:30 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:With a 3.7 and a 170, unless he has a killer soft, he's out at NYU. He is already below both their medians for last year. At Michigan, though, he is pretty strong, and if he will forgo scholly for a much greater admit, he should do it. ED to Michigan should be in the bag.

Also, as I understand it, Michigan's merit aid decisions are entirely quantitative and they do not punish applicants for applying ED. In other words, if a 3.7 and a 170 would get me $30,000 with an RD app, it would also get me $30,000 with ED.

The only downside is that if I applied ED to Michigan, I'd have to do the summer start program roughly fifteen days after my college graduation.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:36 pm

If that is the down side, then go for it.

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:31 pm

To the many people who voted NYU: care to share your argument?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”