BIPOLAR-avoid saying it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dali

BIPOLAR-avoid saying it?

Postby dali » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:50 pm

My family thinks they will auto-reject if I mention i'm bipolar is this true? My GPA is only 2.85 (LSAT 165) and I was hoping they might be more understanding of the GPA if they knew. Before I was diagnosed I had a lot of issues with depression which really affected my grades. Also both my adoptive and biological father have passed away during college (biological from suicide) and my adoptive sister was in a serious auto accident and now has serious brain damage and is living in a nursing home. These things really did impact my ability to focus on school but I also don't want to sound like I'm making excuses. What do you guys think?

northwood

Re: BIPOLAR-avoid saying it?

Postby northwood » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:54 pm

dont say bi polar ( it has a negative connotation). The reasons you gave for your gpa are adequate enough. I would not share any medical history to anyone, other than the select few who need to know.( close family/ doctors, not admissions people or potential employers)

dali

Postby dali » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm

thats what I thought, but then I read several submitted personal statements about being diagnosed with bipolar so some people do this, I guess not the best move though

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:23 pm

Personally, I would avoid talking about any diease or health issue. It is highly sensative, and can come off as a " sob story" unless you write it perfectly. ( and that is very hard). I would imagine that the tragedies you had to respond to while in college have given you a deeper perspective on life/ why be a lawyer, etc and thus could be a great topic to write about.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”