Applying to GW w/o LoR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thatsnotmyname

Applying to GW w/o LoR

Postby thatsnotmyname » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:48 am

I'm going to apply for the GW early decision scholarship. Stats: 171/3.85+.

Honestly, none of my profs know me very well. Anything that they wrote would be pretty generic and I hate asking people to do me favors. I've heard GW ED is 100% a numbers game... On their website it says that letters of recommendation are not required...

So do you think I could get away w/o any letters of recommendation? I'm really only planning on applying GW ED at this point, so I don't need LoR for other applications.

s0ph1e2007

Re: Applying to GW w/o LoR

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:08 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:I'm going to apply for the GW early decision scholarship. Stats: 171/3.85+.

Honestly, none of my profs know me very well. Anything that they wrote would be pretty generic and I hate asking people to do me favors. I've heard GW ED is 100% a numbers game... On their website it says that letters of recommendation are not required...

So do you think I could get away w/o any letters of recommendation? I'm really only planning on applying GW ED at this point, so I don't need LoR for other applications.

I'd set up a meeting with a professor you at least like a lot and explain to them why you want to go to law school and speak passionately on the subject and then ask them to write you a recommendation.
You do need one. Otherwise they might think you're hiding something. You're definitely in though I think.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:18 am

Just get a generic one so you don't have to worry about it...why make a (almost) sure thing not a sure thing?

BizOwner

Postby BizOwner » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 am

Agreed. Why risk a helluva lot of money in scholarship for not asking a simple question that professors get all the time. You're certainly not the first person to ask for a LOR without really knowing the professor.

Ask and enjoy the cherry blossoms in DC!

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:00 pm

"No LOR" is worse than a "generic LOR" even if they don't require one because it might make them think something is wrong/you are hiding something. Or you didn't care enough to send them one (which isn't very true since you are applying ED but still) maybe it looks like you're arrogant (w. your stats - congrats!) and think you don't need it.

No point in risking it.
Get one from a class where you did well and participated or wrote a good paper and refresh your profs memory with that.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:14 pm

With the tens of thousands of law school applicants across the country in any given year, I'm sure all adcomms have seen their fair share of generic LORs. Just show your recommenders your transcript and they'll write a letter saying you were a wonderful student and a joy to have in class. More than anything, I think schools just want to make sure you're not a psychopath.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”