LOR: Do you really need school professors?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wjun15

LOR: Do you really need school professors?

Postby wjun15 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:37 pm

So I read on the LOR Advice on this site and it says that if you are a current student or recent graduate you should get 2 professors from your school and additional ones from employers.

Well I only have one from a professor and im a recent graduate. does this matter a lot? the other one I have is from one of my employers.

I feel like its a little late to ask another professor (if I can even think of one)...

thanks

WestOfTheRest

Re: LOR: Do you really need school professors?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:39 pm

wjun15 wrote:So I read on the LOR Advice on this site and it says that if you are a current student or recent graduate you should get 2 professors from your school and additional ones from employers.

Well I only have one from a professor and im a recent graduate. does this matter a lot? the other one I have is from one of my employers.

I feel like its a little late to ask another professor (if I can even think of one)...

thanks

If you are a recent grad you should have at least two LORs from a professor. No one can tell you how much it will matter, but every source says it should be professors.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:39 pm

I'd be more worried about the schools thinking "Why can't he find another professor to write a LOR?" But I wouldn't worry about it if you can't get another professor to write a good LOR. It's better to not have a second one than a bad second one.

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:49 pm

Last edited by Frank on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wjun15

Postby wjun15 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:09 pm

Is giving a month and half notice for LOR too short? I know that many are starting to teach as school season begins...

okay so I have two potential professors but having hard time deciding which...

there is this one professor I could ask but there is a slight chance she might not even remember me... :lol: the reason why Im thinking abut asking her is because during the time i took her class I was going through a personal hardship (medical condition) and it could back up my personal statement which I also talked about my hardship...(im sure she remembers me going through that)...i didnt really participate much though but received a pretty good grade...

the second professor is an intimidating dude and although i did well in that class and he knows me, he seems like the type that would write negative things and the type that would just straight up reject my request...but i participated a lot more in that class and got a higher grade..

neither of these teachers I got really "close" to...

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Last edited by Frank on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Yeah, just ask. Sometimes someone may seem intimidating but still be very willing to write an LOR for you.

wjun15

Postby wjun15 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:58 pm

are you guys sure you have to have 2 teachers/professors?

on --LinkRemoved-- most of them say its okay to have 1 and then another from work.

PHC

Postby PHC » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:20 pm

wjun15 wrote:are you guys sure you have to have 2 teachers/professors?

on --LinkRemoved-- most of them say its okay to have 1 and then another from work.

If you're like me and you've been out of school and working for 4+ years, getting 1 professor to really remember you is good enough, IMO.

wjun15

Postby wjun15 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:37 am

eh i just graduated last winter...1 not enough?

i have a teacher i could ask but he moved to korea a year ago. do you think lsac cares if hes overseas, as I have to write his contact info/address? if i can, should i have him send the letter from korea or to college and have the college send to lsac?

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:06 am

How many times are you going to ask the same question in this thread? Everyone has told you that you should get two. What schools are you applying to? If the schools you are applying to say they recommend two, you should get two.

Asking for LOR's is hard but think of it this way. It's something that you need to do to have the career you want. Are you really going to let the fact that you are intimidated to ask stand in the way of that career? Like someone else said, just man up and ask.

If they say no, go find someone else. One of my recommenders specifically told me, "Hey if we aren't here to help our students with a career or succeeding in life, what are we really here for?" Most are happy to help, but you just need to ask.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 am

To talk specifics, Cornell will not accept the application of a recent graduate without two academic recs. I'm sure there are other schools with such hard stipulations, but Cornell is the only T14 to my knowledge. The bottom line, as other posters have already said, is that you should find another rec. It shouldn't be that hard. Just pick a class where the teacher would recognize your face and you did well.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:29 pm

Rand M. wrote:To talk specifics, Cornell will not accept the application of a recent graduate without two academic recs. I'm sure there are other schools with such hard stipulations, but Cornell is the only T14 to my knowledge. The bottom line, as other posters have already said, is that you should find another rec. It shouldn't be that hard. Just pick a class where the teacher would recognize your face and you did well.

I saw this in the instructions but wasn't sure if this was required for them to review your app. Idk. I only have one professor letter and I already submitted my app with that and ones from my internship supervisors. I come from a huge state school so it is hard to get to know profs.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Even if it's not technically required, it's beneficial to have at least one academic LOR. This becomes less important with time and distance from undergrad, i.e. if you've been in the workforce for a decade.

wjun15

Postby wjun15 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:09 pm

theavrock wrote:How many times are you going to ask the same question in this thread? Everyone has told you that you should get two. What schools are you applying to? If the schools you are applying to say they recommend two, you should get two.

Asking for LOR's is hard but think of it this way. It's something that you need to do to have the career you want. Are you really going to let the fact that you are intimidated to ask stand in the way of that career? Like someone else said, just man up and ask.

If they say no, go find someone else. One of my recommenders specifically told me, "Hey if we aren't here to help our students with a career or succeeding in life, what are we really here for?" Most are happy to help, but you just need to ask.

different question

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”