general question about law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cbq

general question about law school

Postby cbq » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:54 pm

just curious. i am 46 and considering law school. purdue (bs) / stanford (ms) engineering.
i am reading on the forums and regional schools to the location of practice seems to be important? why?
with engineering, it really doesn't matter that you went to school in the same state / region where you are employed. doesn't seem to be the case with law?
just curious?

thanks.

Adjudicator

Re: general question about law school

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:57 pm

With law school, generally only the Top 14 schools will have a national reputation. Beyond that, most schools feed into their local markets.

With your engineering background, have you thought about going into IP law? I imagine you'd be able to find a great job in patent prosecution.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:00 pm

cbq wrote:just curious. i am 46 and considering law school. purdue (bs) / stanford (ms) engineering.
i am reading on the forums and regional schools to the location of practice seems to be important? why?
with engineering, it really doesn't matter that you went to school in the same state / region where you are employed. doesn't seem to be the case with law?
just curious?

thanks.

Engineering is about having an actual skill that is highly demanded, law is about a socially constructed skill that a bunch of people have that nobody really needs as much of right now. Therefore networking, alumni, ties to the area are much more important for practicing law, which translates into law school location being more of a factor. A note is that the top schools are less constrained by this logic.

cbq

Postby cbq » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:15 pm

ok. thanks. makes sense. more interested in contracts and business than IP..

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:50 pm

St.Remy wrote:
cbq wrote:just curious. i am 46 and considering law school. purdue (bs) / stanford (ms) engineering.
just curious?

thanks.

Engineering is about having an actual skill that is highly demanded, law is about a socially constructed skill that a bunch of people have that nobody really needs as much of right now. Therefore networking, alumni, ties to the area are much more important for practicing law, which translates into law school location being more of a factor. A note is that the top schools are less constrained by this logic.

Lol, all post-secondary skills are socially constructed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”