Addendum or not?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I submit this addendum?

Yes, it can only help you.
No votes
Yes, but it requires some editing.
No votes
Yes, but only one or two of the sections mentioned.
No votes
Yes, but only to certain schools.
No votes
No, this is unnecessary information.
100%

Total votes: 7

robchuckbob

Addendum or not?

Postby robchuckbob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:26 pm

The answer is ....not. Thanks for responses.
Last edited by robchuckbob on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robchuckbob

Re: Addendum or not?

Postby robchuckbob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:33 pm

I should note that my rank wasn't super low. I believe I was at the 80th percentile in the class.

My grades were all A, A-, or B+ with the exception of a B in Conversation and Composition (mentioned) and a C-, B, and B+ the spring 2008 semester mentioned.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:41 pm

What was your GPA during that one semester? If it was horrifically lower than your average than it's worth it.

If not then don't.

Also all your other reasons are worthless. They don't care if you took hard courses to challenge yourself. If anything they can tell if you took hard courses from your major. Someone with a degree in biomedical engineering doesn't need to explain that their major is harder than someone with a major in English/History/Political Science.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure law schools don't care about W's, unless your transcript is littered with them. Pass/fail doesn't matter much either.

It's all about the numbers. You're gpa is solid, and all this addendum seems unnecessarily whiny. Writing that you took hard courses to challenge yourself? Writing an addendum about a single W and a pass/fail class???

Again the only thing that might be worth an addendum is that one semester. If you're gpa during that one semester was below 3.0 I would say it's worth it. But if you're cumulative is a 3.6 and you had one semester with a 3.3, I don't think that's worth an addendum.
Last edited by whymeohgodno on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:43 pm

I definitely would not consider sending the first 2 parts of the addendum, because they seem poor excuses. "I took hard classes and did okay while my peers took easy classes and did really well" seems like a poor excuse that anyone could use to explain away a less than perfect GPA. The second part of the addendum just serves to highlight the fact that you prioritized an extracurricular opportunity at the expense of a class, not something you would want to tell admissions committees about.

As for the third part of the addendum I'm undecided. Those grades are clearly not as high as your normal ones must have been, but they aren't exactly rock bottom, and it isn't as if this one semester is the reason why you didn't have a 4.0. I think it is really up to you to decide if this addendum is needed. Remember that a 3.66 is not a bad GPA, and does not in most cases need an explanation.

robchuckbob

Postby robchuckbob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:54 pm

My GPA that semester was a 2.8 vs my final cumulative gpa of 3.6. Should that semester have been deleted, I would have received a 3.75.

Also, the committee cannot necessarily see the difficulty of my curriculum because there was no set curriculum. I went to a progressive school where we built our own interdisciplinary curriculum. Maybe I should just have my professor from the school explain in her LOR...

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Your GPA is certainly respectable.
I would not send an addendum. I think it could backfire.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:03 pm

robchuckbob wrote:My GPA that semester was a 2.8 vs my final cumulative gpa of 3.6. Should that semester have been deleted, I would have received a 3.75.

Also, the committee cannot necessarily see the difficulty of my curriculum because there was no set curriculum. I went to a progressive school where we built our own interdisciplinary curriculum. Maybe I should just have my professor from the school explain in her LOR...

So less than a .1 drop in your overall GPA? Doesn't seem addendum worthy to me. As for the "progressive school" bit there are many, many colleges that let you design your own curriculum and major in whatever strikes your fancy. NYU is not at all special in that regard. Your course load sounds like some pretty standard liberal arts fare- doesn't everyone take a high level language class, some theater, econ, blah blah blah? You can have your professor mention it in her LOR if you want but chances are the school won't care. I would say scrap the entire addendum.

robchuckbob

Postby robchuckbob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks for your comments. I think you're right. Definitely scrap the first two...

As for the single semester, I think I'll have to think it over.

It would only have meant a .1 rise in my cumulative GPA.

On the other hand, it was a 2.8 and did prevent me from receiving magna cum laude status. Every other semester I received somewhere between a 3.4-4.0. The worst part (for me) is that classes that semester were all performance based and might seem like they should have been easy As. One of them was literally called "Stage Combat," classes that should not have been overwhelmingly challenging, but I still managed to screw it up. Oh well...

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:12 pm

St.Remy wrote:
robchuckbob wrote:My GPA that semester was a 2.8 vs my final cumulative gpa of 3.6. Should that semester have been deleted, I would have received a 3.75.

So less than a .1 drop in your overall GPA? Doesn't seem addendum worthy to me. As for the "progressive school" bit there are many, many colleges that let you design your own curriculum and major in whatever strikes your fancy. NYU is not at all special in that regard. Your course load sounds like some pretty standard liberal arts fare- doesn't everyone take a high level language class, some theater, econ, blah blah blah? You can have your professor mention it in her LOR if you want but chances are the school won't care. I would say scrap the entire addendum.

This. and pretty much what everyone else said in this thread. There's no need for the addendum at all. MAYBE the part about the rape because you had a much lower gpa that semester. Also, the tone of your addendum doesn't really seem formal enough.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

St.Remy wrote:As for the third part of the addendum I'm undecided. Those grades are clearly not as high as your normal ones must have been, but they aren't exactly rock bottom, and it isn't as if this one semester is the reason why you didn't have a 4.0. I think it is really up to you to decide if this addendum is needed. Remember that a 3.66 is not a bad GPA, and does not in most cases need an explanation.

+1

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:14 pm

None of your reasons are worthy of an addendum. In fact, it all sounds pretty whiny and self-serving. Maybe, possibly, the third one.

However, saying your boyfriend was raped might raise a few eyebrows. Was he in prison?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:17 pm

kalvano wrote:None of your reasons are worthy of an addendum. In fact, it all sounds pretty whiny and self-serving. Maybe, possibly, the third one.

However, saying your boyfriend was raped might raise a few eyebrows. Was he in prison?

Also I'm pretty sure in New York State, males can't be legally "raped". There's another term for it. Yes I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm pretty certain it's true.

But your boyfriend may not be in NY.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:23 pm

This may be a little nit-picky, but I was a sexual assault counselor for a few years, and I'd go with "sexually assaulted" over "raped."

As to whether or not a guy could legally be raped in NY, I don't know the specific laws here, but the term usually implies even the slightest penetration- so however that fits into your circumstance. However, the wording of the law might be a little behind what the spirit of it would be, i.e. the taking of someone's control over their body in a sexual way.

Just my input.

robchuckbob

Postby robchuckbob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Yes. Thanks for the input.

The way the conversation is going, it's pretty clear that it would at most be a minor bump in the application, and risky at that. Furthermore, the last thing I would want to do is go into detail about what happened back then or be questioned about it. Best to let it rest and have the PS end the app on an optimistic and not depressing (or I suppose whiny) note.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Dont do it. Dont waste your or the admissions committee's time.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:10 pm

I got one D in a class during my first term on a varsity sports team and rehabbing from surgery. The rest of my gpa is majority As and A-s and some B+s, so that D REALLY drags down my gpa.
Addendum? Is adjusting to rehab and a DI sport a valid reason, or will this sound ridiculous? The class the D was in was a two class a day, extremely time intensive course; many of the classes I missed for practices/games/rehab.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:26 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:I got one D in a class during my first term on a varsity sports team and rehabbing from surgery. The rest of my gpa is majority As and A-s and some B+s, so that D REALLY drags down my gpa.
Addendum? Is adjusting to rehab and a DI sport a valid reason, or will this sound ridiculous? The class the D was in was a two class a day, extremely time intensive course; many of the classes I missed for practices/games/rehab.

No. It's ONE grade.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”