Penn Law -- they love softs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vsl89
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 am

Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby vsl89 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:51 pm

So, as I look through the graph for Penn Law, I noticed that there were a bunch of inconsistencies, i.e. people with very similar numbers having fairly different results. Also, LSATs lower than 170 really seem to suffer in the admissions process (even though 170 is the median)...how come? Penn is fairly selective @ 14% admission and given that it's LSAT numbers are a relatively unimpressive (compared to T6s) 167/170/171, does it try to compensate by reviewing softs so extensively?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:53 pm

vsl89 wrote:So, as I look through the graph for Penn Law, I noticed that there were a bunch of inconsistencies, i.e. people with very similar numbers having fairly different results. Also, LSATs lower than 170 really seem to suffer in the admissions process (even though 170 is the median)...how come? Penn is fairly selective @ 14% admission and given that it's LSAT numbers are a relatively unimpressive (compared to T6s) 167/170/171, does it try to compensate by reviewing softs so extensively?


EDs? "Why Penn?" essays?, variations in application package strength?

Also, i'm sure that they have a lot more applications from people with LSATs lower than 170, so it is worse odds to get accepted with those numbers, even if the class itself has a median of 170.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby 20160810 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Nobody loves softs.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Knockglock wrote:
vsl89 wrote:So, as I look through the graph for Penn Law, I noticed that there were a bunch of inconsistencies, i.e. people with very similar numbers having fairly different results. Also, LSATs lower than 170 really seem to suffer in the admissions process (even though 170 is the median)...how come? Penn is fairly selective @ 14% admission and given that it's LSAT numbers are a relatively unimpressive (compared to T6s) 167/170/171, does it try to compensate by reviewing softs so extensively?


EDs? "Why Penn?" essays?, variations in application package strength?

Also, i'm sure that they have a lot more applications from people with LSATs lower than 170, so it is worse odds to get accepted with those numbers, even if the class itself has a median of 170.


Definitely the above. Plus law schools of ~250 or less just have less predictable application results compared to bigger schools.

vsl89
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 am

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby vsl89 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:23 pm

St.Remy wrote:
Definitely the above. Plus law schools of ~250 or less just have less predictable application results compared to bigger schools.


I can see how class size might make the adcoms make difficult decisions, but why does Cornell, which has a relatively similar class size, remain far more predictable? 167/8+, 3.75+ and you're looking good.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:34 pm

vsl89 wrote:
St.Remy wrote:
Definitely the above. Plus law schools of ~250 or less just have less predictable application results compared to bigger schools.


I can see how class size might make the adcoms make difficult decisions, but why does Cornell, which has a relatively similar class size, remain far more predictable? 167/8+, 3.75+ and you're looking good.


I guess I was generalizing a bit. You look at Uchicago, Penn, and UVA on LSN and there is just a sea of yellow everywhere. I always just attributed this in part to small schools being more flexible with what numbers they take because of 25th-median-75th being comparatively easy for them to maintain when compared to bigger schools.

I don't mean to sound like an anti-cornell troll but cornell seems in my opinion to exist in a completely different realm than the top ten. I think they are far less able to pass up solid numbers, so their admissions are comparatively predictable.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:50 pm

LSN only tells half the story. It was MUCH more predictable before Feb. before the yellow dots started showing up. Since you can't filter the yellow dots out you can't see that Penn's line was really clear cut before March.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Importance of Why Penn and undergrad quality snobbery.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:LSN only tells half the story. It was MUCH more predictable before Feb. before the yellow dots started showing up. Since you can't filter the yellow dots out you can't see that Penn's line was really clear cut before March.


What I would do to get a filter function like this on LSN. The fact that you can't make the WLs go away, combined with the fact that 90% of people don't ever update their WL status and that the yellow WL symbol is placed on top of the other symbols, greatly decreases the value that I derive from LSN. Since I wasn't a frequenter before February would you mind mentioning where the line used to be?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:10 pm

St.Remy wrote:
r6_philly wrote:LSN only tells half the story. It was MUCH more predictable before Feb. before the yellow dots started showing up. Since you can't filter the yellow dots out you can't see that Penn's line was really clear cut before March.


What I would do to get a filter function like this on LSN. The fact that you can't make the WLs go away, combined with the fact that 90% of people don't ever update their WL status and that the yellow WL symbol is placed on top of the other symbols, greatly decreases the value that I derive from LSN. Since I wasn't a frequenter before February would you mind mentioning where the line used to be?


There are many more functions I would provide if I was to build a site to display the raw data.

Don't quote me on it, but the lines seemed to be about 3.85+ across and 169 vertically. If you are in quadrant 1 you are most likely admit, quadrant 2 and 4 less certain and 3 are rejects. I thought I was a lock above both lines but I was like the 2nd yellow dot above 170+3.85. Then the sea of yellow came after.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Between people with similar numbers, Penn does seem to heavily favor those who do their "Why Penn?" essay option.

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:13 pm

SBL wrote:Nobody Only Yale, Chicago, Michigan, and Berkeley love softs.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:13 pm

2ofspades wrote:
SBL wrote:Nobody Only Yale, Chicago, Michigan, and Berkeley love softs.


Blatant anti-Stanford trolling

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:14 pm

2ofspades wrote:
SBL wrote:Nobody Only Yale, Chicago, Michigan, and Berkeley love softs.


Chicago??

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Penn Law -- they love softs?

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:14 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
2ofspades wrote:
SBL wrote:Nobody Only Yale, Chicago, Michigan, and Berkeley love softs.


Chicago??


Incoming Eskimo in 3...2...1..




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cavalier1138, cocozhang9950, mse2020 and 5 guests