What do you look for in a school (other than rank)?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
northwood

Re: What do you look for in a school (other than rank)?

Postby northwood » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Im not sure. The reasoning is unique to each individual case. Its just something to take into consideration, especially if you suffer from mental illness

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:10 pm

northwood wrote:Im not sure. The reasoning is unique to each individual case. Its just something to take into consideration, especially if you suffer from mental illness

http://cornellsun.com/node/2072

It is an old article, but I would be wary of declaring Cornell to be a suicide hotbed without evidence, especially considering that this is a long-running myth. Maybe there is more truth to it now than 9 years ago, but I doubt it.

I also remember seeing a more recent article that said that Cornell often gets "credit" for more suicides than they deserve because people come to the gorges to kill themselves (non-Cornell students). I'll see if I can find it. And as I mentioned before, the Ithaca gorge suicides also get a lot more press than your average dorm room suicide.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:20 pm

When it came down to it, the number one factor most important to me was placement in a specific region. Though I did like the overall "feel" of the school, I wasn't too stressed about it.

I wasn't too concerned about stuff like class size, and it's a good thing because my class has like 50 more people than the previous class.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Whether I liked the school or not.

Barring a T6 or so, don't go somewhere where you'll be miserable for 3 years. This is difficult enough without subjecting yourself to that.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:42 pm

I got my information based on living in the Cornell area. Im not saying that its a suicide hotbed, just pointing out that its something to take into consideration. Even if the person isnt a student at cornell doesnt mean that it doesnt affect the morale of students on campus, and in the surrounding community. For the majority of people this may not affect them, but again, its something to consider if it does affect you.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:50 pm

northwood wrote:I got my information based on living in the Cornell area. Im not saying that its a suicide hotbed, just pointing out that its something to take into consideration. Even if the person isnt a student at cornell doesnt mean that it doesnt affect the morale of students on campus, and in the surrounding community. For the majority of people this may not affect them, but again, its something to consider if it does affect you.

Look, I'm just saying you shouldn't propagate this kind of information without citing real evidence. As far as I understand it, the suicide issue at Cornell is way overblown and the school is in line with the national averages. And as I mentioned earlier, it doesn't seem like this issue has affected the law school. At most law schools, law students are pretty segregated from the undergrad, even at schools where the law building is on the actual campus. So I really think you are making a lot of ado about a non-issue.

I would just hate for someone to pass up on Cornell or to look at it too skeptically based on anecdotal information that appears to be false.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:54 pm

FWIW, I like Ithica.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Costs, job/clerkship prospects, whether the school will help me get a job in my target regions. I don't even really look too much at rank, though it does correlate somewhat with jobs.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Accessibility. Some campuses are hard to get to if you don't have a reliable vehicle, or a vehicle at all. This means you have to live close to the campus, which is not always an easy or inexpensive option.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:48 pm

http://cornellsun.com/section/news/cont ... ent-deaths

Im just saying that mental health is something to seriously consider,as well as mental health resources/ services if you know you need them, or may need them. Cornell is in line with the national averages but they did have a horrible year during the 2009-2010 school year. It is something to take into consideration, along with other things.

I recognize the flaw in the post, and i didnt mean to scare anyone away from the school. Its a great school, and an honor to be accepted to it. Statistically, its just as safe as any other place. But again, something to think about besides rankings and job prospects ( athough important) and scholarship money. Yes most of the students were undergraduates. But the aftermath of each incident does impact the rest of the school and community in a negative way.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:54 pm

On the plus side, if suicide is the right choice for you, I hear Cornell is the place to be. Gorges > sleeping pills.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:08 pm

kalvano wrote:Whether I liked the school or not.

Barring a T6 or so, don't go somewhere where you'll be miserable for 3 years. This is difficult enough without subjecting yourself to that.

+1 to this. Since most of us are a bunch of competitive over-achievers, we forget that it's a be a big mistake to waste our entire youth in preparation for the future. Obviously not saying that you should go to a bad school over a good one simply because you like the atmosphere of the former better, but I think there's a happy medium.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:14 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:I'm curious about what attracts you to certain schools (other than ranking). What's most important to you (class size, clinics, location, diversity, etc.), and why?

Reasons why I chose Pitt:

1. Scholarship
2. The city is awesome
3. $25 football season tickets at Heinz Field
4. Dominant in its market
5. Great school atmosphere
6. The Steelers
7. The Pens
8. Super low cost of living
9. Primanti Bros.
10. Admissions staff

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:16 pm

OGR3 wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:I'm curious about what attracts you to certain schools (other than ranking). What's most important to you (class size, clinics, location, diversity, etc.), and why?

1. Scholarship
2. The city is awesome
6. The Steelers
7. The Pens
9. Primanti Bros.
10. Admissions staff

Wait.. Pitt plays at Heinz Field?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:16 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

1. Scholarship
2. The city is awesome
6. The Steelers
7. The Pens
9. Primanti Bros.
10. Admissions staff

I'm pretty sure that's why Heinz field's turf sucks.

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I have to admit, I'm kinda taken aback by the approaches mentioned in this thread. I can understand preferring a big city over a small town, but does that mean you should knock out half the T-14 from consideration simply because they are not located in an adequately large city? Before you even go and see what those towns are like? It is very different to attend school in a big city than it is to work in one. People who go to school in big cities often have established social lives outside of campus and the on-campus rapport suffers. Conversely people in small towns feel sometimes that they cannot escape their compatriots. Why not visit all of these schools and see if the small town schools pleasantly surprise you?

As a 2L who has been through this process and who has attended school in both big cities (Chicago) and small ones (Durham, Ann Arbor) I would recommend picking on the atmosphere you encounter on your visit, rather than on the atmosphere you assume a place has or doesn't have.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:19 pm

Knockglock wrote:

I go to a basketball school. Our football team is terrible and we have the stadium to match. Any major D1 football team is an upgrade. Ive never really experienced a big time football environment.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:22 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I go to a basketball school. Our football team is terrible and we have the stadium to match. Any major D1 football team is an upgrade. Ive never really experienced a big time football environment.

Same here, except my school sucks at both :lol:. If I attend a school with a solid D1 program i'd be pretty happy, and I think it would add to the atmosphere, but it's definitely not a make or break thing in my decision process. But I'd like to have a college team I actually care about :lol:.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:24 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

1. Scholarship
2. The city is awesome
6. The Steelers
7. The Pens
9. Primanti Bros.
10. Admissions staff

Yeah, they have since it opened. Pitt Stadium was demolished in the late 1990s to make room for Pitt's basketball arena.

Which reminds me...

#1 negative about Pitt: How difficult it is to obtain basketball tickets.

Rsrcht

Postby Rsrcht » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Look into anything that appeals to you and apply to the schools that match your criteria. Usually, the most important aspects should be job prospects (reputation, quality of OCI, financial viability), curriculum that is consistent with your career goals, and how comfortable you would be in the school. Go to the one that accepts you if it meets your standards. Then, worry about choosing the best one if accepted into more than one.

Unless your parents are paying for it, financing the debt and paying for it is always a big factor (sooner or later).

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Since I'm out of the running for HYS, geographic location is the most important thing to me. I'm going after the top school in the area where I want to live.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:33 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Yeah, they have since it opened. Pitt Stadium was demolished in the late 1990s to make room for Pitt's basketball arena.

Which reminds me...

#1 negative about Pitt: How difficult it is to obtain basketball tickets.

Wow thats pretty sweet... At least you guys have tickets. Here its just a first come, first serve in the student section. Most of the time its not a huge deal, but when we have ESPN Gameday games then you have to get to the arena 6-12 hrs early.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:34 pm

rad law wrote:Costs, job/clerkship prospects, whether the school will help me get a job in my target regions. I don't even really look too much at rank, though it does correlate somewhat with jobs.

+1. I'm going to law school to get be a lawyer. Even if I loathed Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, etc (which I don't) I would still take them over GULC due to job prospects. I am pretty sure I could suck it up for 3 years at a place I hate for better job prospects, it's not like you're forced to move to Africa or Antarctica.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Knockglock wrote:

Probably job prospects, atmosphere, location, class size in that order.

As usual, knock is on the button and job prospects/location are paramount, but I'd add two things - curriculum and faculty. As far as curriculum, the course offerings at a particular school can sometimes be dramatically different from those at its peer schools. And if you have the opportunity to choose between peer schools, it's worth it to make sure you are interested in the classes that will be available to you.

Also, if you know you want to work in a specific practice area - and that rules out most applicants - it's worth your time to read some of the latest research published by the appropriate professors at the schools where you are applying. You'll spend 15 hours a week listening to them. Why not vet them in advance?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:38 pm

bk1 wrote:
rad law wrote:Costs, job/clerkship prospects, whether the school will help me get a job in my target regions. I don't even really look too much at rank, though it does correlate somewhat with jobs.

+1. I'm going to law school to get be a lawyer. Even if I loathed Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, etc (which I don't) I would still take them over GULC due to job prospects. I am pretty sure I could suck it up for 3 years at a place I hate for better job prospects, it's not like you're forced to move to Africa or Antarctica.

Also, my guess is that most people who bash Ann Arbor and Ithaca have never been there. Ann Arbor is consistently rated as a fantastic city (I just read a Yahoo article that included them in some top 10 cities list for something) and I've heard nothing but good things about Ithaca. I loved Ann Arbor when I visited. Too cold? Buy a coat.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”