What do you look for in a school (other than rank)? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GettingReady2010

Bronze

What do you look for in a school (other than rank)?

Post by GettingReady2010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm curious about what attracts you to certain schools (other than ranking). What's most important to you (class size, clinics, location, diversity, etc.), and why?

Knock

Platinum

Re: What do you look for in a school (other than rank)?

Post by Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:09 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:I'm curious about what attracts you to certain schools (other than ranking). What's most important to you (class size, clinics, location, diversity, etc.), and why?
Probably job prospects, atmosphere, location, class size in that order.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:10 pm

The surrounding environment. I have no idea why people would go to Ann Arbor, Michigan or Ithaca, NY because these two places are so damn dreary. If I had a choice between Michigan or Georgetown, Id take Georgetown regardless of rank because Id much rather live in DC than Ann Arbor. Of course I probably wont have to make this decision. Haha!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:11 pm

gdane5 wrote:The surrounding environment. I have no idea why people would go to Ann Arbor, Michigan or Ithaca, NY because these two places are so damn dreary. If I had a choice between Michigan or Georgetown, Id take Georgetown regardless of rank because Id much rather live in DC than Ann Arbor. Of course I probably wont have to make this decision. Haha!
I've heard lots of good things about Ann Arbor.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:12 pm

gdane5 wrote:The surrounding environment. I have no idea why people would go to Ann Arbor, Michigan or Ithaca, NY because these two places are so damn dreary. If I had a choice between Michigan or Georgetown, Id take Georgetown regardless of rank because Id much rather live in DC than Ann Arbor. Of course I probably wont have to make this decision. Haha!
Interesting. I can't say I would make the same choice, but I do remember someone posting a while back about possibly dropping out of Mich, because they were extremely depressed there. I don't know if it was the weather or what.

Incidentally, I've also heard of people having problems at Cornell.
Last edited by GettingReady2010 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Knockglock wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:I'm curious about what attracts you to certain schools (other than ranking). What's most important to you (class size, clinics, location, diversity, etc.), and why?
Ditto.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:15 pm

To each their own. I'm more familiar and comfortable with a college town atmosphere so I would have no obligation to Ann Arbor, Ithaca, Charlottesville, Durham etc whereas living in DC would not be my first choice.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:16 pm

beachbum wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Ditto.
I would probably switch atmosphere and class size.

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Post by lzyovrachievr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Most of my search has progressed by looking at location first. Then I consider if the school has courses in a few of the different areas that I'm interested in. (I realize that may change, which is why not having one of the areas is not a major issue. Because I have a background in international environmental policy and national security issues, I check for those areas in case I do end up pursuing them.) Then I check for the general rank of schools within those locations that have those areas. I personally wouldn't go somewhere ranked #50 because it had a strong international law program (especially after hearing what people on here think of international law, heh). I think I'd be better served by #14, etc.

To me, employment prospects are often part of a school's rank, so they are important as well. Then I go to class size, diversity, atmosphere and competitiveness, campus, public versus corporate focus, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:34 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
Interesting. I can't say I would make the same choice, but I do remember someone posting a while back about possibly dropping out of Mich, because they were extremely depressed there. I don't know if it was the weather or what.

Incidentally, I've also heard of people having problems at Cornell.
This was Oblomov. I dont know the exact story, but the gist of it was that because Michigans career services office wouldnt help him, he dropped out. What a p*ssy...

Im a city type of guy so thats probably why Id avoid most of the schools in the middle of nowhere.

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Knockglock wrote:
I've heard lots of good things about Ann Arbor.
Ann Arbor is a great place to live. Plus, its cost of living is much lower than DC's!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Behind ranking, the next two biggest things pretty much EVERYONE should consider is geographic location and cost. Chances are you will end up practicing in the general area of the country where your school is located. Most people have a preference where they live for the next 5-10 years or so, so it is important to consider where the school is. You may have lots of friends and family you prefer to stay close to, as was the case with me. The next big thing I paid attention to was whether or not I would have the opportunity to gain residency tuition (if available) by my second year. I ruled out pretty much any school where I would not have that opportunity. Then of course you have to look at how much in scholarships you may or may not be receiving, and the cost in general. Paying sticker at state schools typically is nowhere near as bad as paying sticker at private schools.

After that, I look at the atmosphere of the campus/area. I wanted more of a college campus feel than a city feel. Some people may be the opposite. Weather may matter to you, especially if you are used to being somewhere warm. These are all secondary things, however, and should really come after you consider rank, location, and cost. They may help when you narrow it down to two or three schools of equal rank/cost/location, though, and then you can consider stuff like clinics, class size, etc.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:55 pm

For me, it was geographic location and public interest offerings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:01 pm

After rank, my second biggest deciding factor was whether or not they accepted me. I found being accepted made a bigger difference in choosing a school than almost anything else.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Free Money>Job prospects>Location>Rep. in Academia

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Location and scholarship money. I refuse to go anywhere colder than NYC and if the school is tight with the funds Im most likely not interested.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:30 pm

+1

p.s. I'm the "mom" of two great danes (a/k/a the Great "Pains.") :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Rank

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:45 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Rank
This took longer than expected.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Well definitely job prospects, specifically clerkships, though that goes hand in hand with rank. After that, I really want to be in a big city (D.C. or L.A. mainly), as I have lived in the epitome of a mid-sized college town for the last 3 years (Tallahassee). How much it costs (and scholarship) will definitely be an issue as well.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:48 pm

gdane5 wrote: This was Oblomov. I dont know the exact story, but the gist of it was that because Michigans career services office wouldnt help him, he dropped out. What a p*ssy...

Im a city type of guy so thats probably why Id avoid most of the schools in the middle of nowhere.
I already didn't like you much to begin with, but this post just made me dislike you even more. You don't know Oblomov's exact story, but you're willing to call him a p*ssy for dropping out? If anything, it may have been in his best interest to drop out. You don't know the story, so STFU. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, Oblomov was a pretty well-respected and well-liked poster on TLS. Given your reputation on here, you should try taking notes instead of calling names.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:54 pm

cornell has one of the highest incidence of suicide attempts ( and unfortunatley suicide deaths) in the country. Each semester for the past few years, unfortunatly has had at least 1 student attempt suicide.

I look at the overall atmosphere of the school, where the school is located, and how close to my target market it is. I also look at student life, campus environment, ease and overall feel of the library, and cost of living. I also try to get opinons from various practicing lawyers about which schools they would recommend and why. Overall, id say that Cost of living is right up there for me.( While I love big cities, i cant afford, or rationalize spending 1k a month on rent and utilities ( I do not want a roomate, as i have had horrible experiences with them) So, unfortunately no big city school, unless i get a big city scholarship

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:57 pm

northwood wrote:cornell has one of the highest incidence of suicide attempts ( and unfortunatley suicide deaths) in the country. Each semester for the past few years, unfortunatly has had at least 1 student attempt suicide.
IIRC, this does not apply to the law school at all. I also remember reading somewhere that Cornell's suicide rate isn't really higher than other schools, but they just get a lot of attention because they occur in the gorges sometimes. I could be wrong though.

As for the OP:

1. Cost
2. Geographic Location (Will it land me where I want to end up?)
3. Vibe/Atmosphere of School

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Faculty and class profile, by a wide margin.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:01 pm

northwood wrote:cornell has one of the highest incidence of suicide attempts ( and unfortunatley suicide deaths) in the country. Each semester for the past few years, unfortunatly has had at least 1 student attempt suicide.

I look at the overall atmosphere of the school, where the school is located, and how close to my target market it is. I also look at student life, campus environment, ease and overall feel of the library, and cost of living. I also try to get opinons from various practicing lawyers about which schools they would recommend and why. Overall, id say that Cost of living is right up there for me.( While I love big cities, i cant afford, or rationalize spending 1k a month on rent and utilities ( I do not want a roomate, as i have had horrible experiences with them) So, unfortunately no big city school, unless i get a big city scholarship
Why is this? Is the atmosphere extremely competitive or something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”