Apply to multiple area-specific NYU scholarships???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eeeeeek

Apply to multiple area-specific NYU scholarships???

Postby eeeeeek » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Is it okay to apply to multiple area-specific (international law, law and business, career in legal academia, law and econ) scholarships at NYU? The scholarship essays are all submitted with my application so i'm wondering if admissions officers would roll their eyes since i'd be saying that i'm interested in a career in international law and on the next page that i want to be a legal scholar and then that i'm interested in law and business. Hopefully, the same people won't pick candidates for all of the scholarships. :p

Maybe I should just apply to the one i'm most interested in?

spondee

Re: Apply to multiple area-specific NYU scholarships???

Postby spondee » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:08 pm

The students that receive those scholarships usually have strong resumes that justify it. Essentially the scholarship extends the kind of career they're already building.

If you can justify applying to four, go for it. I believe different committees select the winners; it's not all on the admissions office.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:02 pm

eeeeeek wrote:Is it okay to apply to multiple area-specific (international law, law and business, career in legal academia, law and econ) scholarships at NYU? The scholarship essays are all submitted with my application so i'm wondering if admissions officers would roll their eyes since i'd be saying that i'm interested in a career in international law and on the next page that i want to be a legal scholar and then that i'm interested in law and business. Hopefully, the same people won't pick candidates for all of the scholarships. :p

Maybe I should just apply to the one i'm most interested in?

If I were you, I would stick to applying for a couple, and make sure they are somewhat compatible, so that you could justify getting both. For instance, there is someone on their website who got both the international and the environmental scholars programs- no doubt because she had background in both and could present her interest in either one (without excluding the other).

In your situation, with the example you picked, say law and business and legal scholars programs, if you can say something like if you were to become a legal scholar, you would want to study the interrelationships between business and law, then both of your applications are not disingenuous. On the other side, you could possibly say that your involvement in law and business would give you experience necessary to lead to great scholarship.

Show yourself as a candidate that has a clear, comprehensive view of where you could be going. I wouldn't present things that could conflict with each other, so I'd stick to only applying for a few of the areas.

Hope that helps.

eeeeeek

Postby eeeeeek » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:37 am

Good point. I am interested in international law (including international business law) and want to work at an international organization or think tank after I graduate. Maybe I should write that in my scholarship essays so it's clearer why I'm applying to multiple scholarships?
Last edited by eeeeeek on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:46 am

Sounds good. I'd say you just want to make it clear that you're not trying to get money from wherever possible, but that you are really interested in these programs and that they fit in with your experience and future plans. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”