How important is it? (LOR Related)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WonkyPanda

How important is it? (LOR Related)

Postby WonkyPanda » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:49 pm

That your LORs come from someone in your major? My best LOR is coming from an english teacher that I had to take as a general course, but the problem is in my 2nd LOR. I never got really close with any of my psych professors and my relationship with some of my TAs was decent at best. As far as my minor is concerned, I am sure I could get a better LOR from one of my poli sci professors. Would it be detrimental that I don't have a LOR from someone in my major?

RTFM

Re: How important is it? (LOR Related)

Postby RTFM » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:00 pm

I asked pretty much the same question a couple of weeks ago, and the response I got from everyone was that it doesn't really matter if the recommendation comes from a professor in your major, just ask the people who will give you the strongest recommendations. An admissions officer probably won't pause to ask, "How come no psych professors gave this person an evaluation?"

haydee

Postby haydee » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:04 pm

I can really only give you my best guess, but I'd say not very important at all.

I would think that any professor with whom you've taken a few upper level classes should be able to evaluate you. If adcomms/lsac recommend or specifically prefer recommenders within your department, they're being pretty secretive about it.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Sweet! I'll look towards some of my minor professors then since I got a little closer with them than any of my psych professors.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”