Couple of resume questions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lshamlet

Bronze

Couple of resume questions

Post by lshamlet » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Hey all, I'd like your input yet again :D this time for my resume...I really appreciate it.

1. In addition to my part-time job, I've been a private tutor (that is, employed by myself) for two students (well, now just one) for a while. Is it kosher to list private tutoring gigs?

2. Do I list jobs I only held in high school? For instance, I worked at a supermarket for a few months when I was 15.

3. Under my honors section, is it okay to list "magna cum laude" if i haven't yet graduated but it's expected (that is, my GPA is currently above the threshold)

4. Can I list being valedictorian of my high school as an honor? I think the answer is no, because I've heard to leave high school things out of it, but that was a pretty significant honor to me.

Thanks everyone.

sknowl01

New

Re: Couple of resume questions

Post by sknowl01 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:43 pm

lshamlet wrote:Hey all, I'd like your input yet again :D this time for my resume...I really appreciate it.

1. In addition to my part-time job, I've been a private tutor (that is, employed by myself) for two students (well, now just one) for a while. Is it kosher to list private tutoring gigs?

2. Do I list jobs I only held in high school? For instance, I worked at a supermarket for a few months when I was 15.

3. Under my honors section, is it okay to list "magna cum laude" if i haven't yet graduated but it's expected (that is, my GPA is currently above the threshold)

4. Can I list being valedictorian of my high school as an honor? I think the answer is no, because I've heard to leave high school things out of it, but that was a pretty significant honor to me.

Thanks everyone.

I am curious about question #3 myself.

As to the resume questions I would definately list the private tutor, but you can get some great specific information from each school. I would include the job in high school unless it makes your resume too long or you get feedback from a school telling you otherwise.

messiah_cakes

New

Post by messiah_cakes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:10 pm

1. I, for one, am listing this. A lot of the applications I've completed (thus far) have emphasized that *all* work should be listed. And tutoring is, without a doubt, work.

2. I wouldn't list jobs in high school. They probably ask about your work commitments during college in order to determine whether you can handle a lot of responsibilities and still produce quality work. You can measure that sort of stuff in college, just because you can cross reference work priorities with transcripts (i.e., maybe you had stellar grades in your junior and senior year not because you "saw the light," but because you conveniently stopped working at the mall at around the same time). Besides, they usually stress "undergraduate," so I would just, you know, do what they say.

3. I would feel uncomfortable bragging about something you haven't gotten yet, but, if you feel you must, you can dress it up like this:
Presently Top ___% of my class
or:
Magna cum Laude, expected

4. You just answered your own question. It's a significant honor to you, but the admission committee really doesn't want to hear about high school. Just like they won't value something that you did in 2006-7 over what you're doing now. Most recent achievements trump all.

wjun15

Bronze

Post by wjun15 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:18 pm

do the law schools do a background check of your work history? aka looking at how much money u made from work? or do they just call references?

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Last edited by Frank on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:22 pm

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:27 pm

Frank wrote:
wjun15 wrote:do the law schools do a background check of your work history? aka looking at how much money u made from work? or do they just call references?

They don't do any of that. Think about how many apps they get per year. There isn't enough manpower.
Makes one wonder what percentage of personal statements and resumes are more than >=50% fiction.

wjun15

Bronze

Post by wjun15 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Frank wrote:
wjun15 wrote:do the law schools do a background check of your work history? aka looking at how much money u made from work? or do they just call references?

They don't do any of that. Think about how many apps they get per year. There isn't enough manpower.
well if they accept, then they could check...

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:31 pm

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Frank wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
Frank wrote:

Makes one wonder what percentage of personal statements and resumes are more than >=50% fiction.

Since personal statements don't make a marketable difference in your app, it prob doesn't matter.
PSs definitely make a difference, but it's usually a negative difference if it is going to make a difference.

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:34 pm

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:36 pm

Frank wrote:
CastleRock wrote: PSs definitely make a difference, but it's usually a negative difference if it is going to make a difference.

Listen, I am a 2L at CLS. I know the process. The personal statement may be helpful in showing you are a coherent writer, but it won't get you into a school.
A) I know you're a 2L at CLS, I saw your other thread. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you know the process better than anyone who has been through it. B) If you read what I wrote, I never said it would get you into a school. However, I did imply that it could screw your chances at a school.

So I will "listen" when you learn to read.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Last edited by Frank on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lshamlet

Bronze

Post by lshamlet » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:52 pm

Thank you for all the responses everyone! I appreciate the help.

One last question...

Is it really ok to use 0.5" margins? The article here on TLS says to do so, but all the resumes Harvard put up, for instance, look like they used 1" margins.

CurbYourEnthusiasm

New

Post by CurbYourEnthusiasm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:12 pm

lshamlet wrote:Hey all, I'd like your input yet again :D this time for my resume...I really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.

I'll help you out here, I revised and helped students do their resumes in college.
1) I would put it, especially if it was recently. A lot of different work places like seeing extracurricular activities of that nature on resumes.
2) It depends on how long your employment history is. Your resume should ONLY be 1 page. So you put your most recent work experiences down, and if there is room and you feel its necessary to put that in, then by all means put it in.
3) Absolutely. Put this in. Any honors/amazing GPA/accolades, deserves to be in your resume.
4) Great question. I personally would leave this out, although props to you for such a feat. No employer is really going to care where you went to HS or what you achieved, considering you will be graduating college soon.

Any other questions feel free to ask. If you want I'll send you a copy of my resume as a reference, I feel like I have a solid format and its very professional looking.

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Last edited by Frank on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:24 pm

CurbYourEnthusiasm

New

Post by CurbYourEnthusiasm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Frank wrote:
CurbYourEnthusiasm wrote:

Thanks everyone.

I'll help you out here, I revised and helped students do their resumes in college.
1) I would put it, especially if it was recently. A lot of different work places like seeing extracurricular activities of that nature on resumes.
2) It depends on how long your employment history is. Your resume should ONLY be 1 page. So you put your most recent work experiences down, and if there is room and you feel its necessary to put that in, then by all means put it in.
3) Absolutely. Put this in. Any honors/amazing GPA/accolades, deserves to be in your resume.
4) Great question. I personally would leave this out, although props to you for such a feat. No employer is really going to care where you went to HS or what you achieved, considering you will be graduating college soon.

Any other questions feel free to ask. If you want I'll send you a copy of my resume as a reference, I feel like I have a solid format and its very professional looking.

He should not put an honor he is 'expected' to get. He hasn't gotten it yet.
Concur. He could put something like currently top X% in his class.

My apologies. This is correct. I read the 4 bullet points really quickly, and didn't realize you wrote 'cum lauda'. I thought you meant 'honors' in general, which is ok to put if you've received them before. I wouldn't put % of class if it isn't good. If you have a 3.8 GPA, which is phenomenal, but for whatever reason it doesn't rank towards the top of the class, then it is unnecessary.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”