Work Experience Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
testmachine45

Bronze

Work Experience Thread

Post by testmachine45 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:50 pm

What is everyone's work experience?

Marionberry

Silver

Re: Work Experience Thread

Post by Marionberry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:06 pm

slangin rocks

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:40 pm

2 years as a hairstylist and then six years as a legal assistant (last 3 were as a paralegal). Though from what I've heard, legal-related experience is irrelevant. One could be a bartender or heck a lion tamer and still receive the same amount of soft as being a legal assistant affords (if anything).

jtb00711

Bronze

Post by jtb00711 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:46 pm

2 years and counting as a runner.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:47 pm

I only have summer internship experience while in school, but I did one summer in investment banking in Manhattan and 2 summers in government contracting in Arlington.

Oh, and I worked a register my freshman year at Dunkin Donuts. but nobody cares so I left that off, lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:50 pm

jtb00711 wrote:2 years and counting as a runner.
You probably shouldn't mention your experience being a drug runner on your law school apps.

broker02

New

Post by broker02 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Last edited by broker02 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:06 pm

broker02 wrote:Senate intern
Presidential Campaign State Deputy Director
Senate Campaign Deputy Communications Director
DNC/RNC (guess which?) Staffer
Chief of Staff, top-level state official

Bad part is, all that work probably doesn't matter any more than the hairstylist...
Having held similar positions to most of the above I can say that being a hairstylist probably takes much more skill and effort than everything you listed with the possible exception of being a Chief of Staff.

broker02

New

Post by broker02 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:10 pm

It was by far my most challenging job - I was always the guy who had to be one step ahead of the official and the rest of the staff. Sounds good on a resume though, even though I don't put that it ate my life, much like my first ~10 years of law practice will.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:19 pm

Kindergarten teacher.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Question to all of you:

I keep seeing that the experience itself doesn't matter much but I'm still not convinced. I'm going to be graduating in a year and essentially I will have to choose between an Engineering job or a Business/Consulting job. I'm more interested in the Business job but I'm afraid I would be expected to go with engineering since its more interesting on a resume. Is this true or can I take the Business job and be secure that it won't affect my cycle or future OCI's.

I only plan on having the job for a max of two years.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Personally I would go for the business job. Future advancement usually hinges on ability to manage and you gain more relavant experience on the business job. If your future goals involves staying in a technical capacity then the engineering job, if you want to advance to a managerial position business may be better, you will still have your educational background anyway. Just my opinion, since every job interview I have been on recently all cared about my management/business skills and experiences even though they were essentially technical jobs.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:36 pm

I guess I should disclose my experiences ITT

5 years non-profit afterschool outreach coordinator
3 year IT manager for high schools
10 years web/software engineer (5 years running my own consulting business)
Currently web manager for a print publication and working on a web start up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:Personally I would go for the business job. Future advancement usually hinges on ability to manage and you gain more relavant experience on the business job. If your future goals involves staying in a technical capacity then the engineering job, if you want to advance to a managerial position business may be better, you will still have your educational background anyway. Just my opinion, since every job interview I have been on recently all cared about my management/business skills and experiences even though they were essentially technical jobs.
Well the engineering job would be manufacturing so theres a ton of management experience there. I'm just very bored with it at this point.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:21 pm

merichard87 wrote: Well the engineering job would be manufacturing so theres a ton of management experience there. I'm just very bored with it at this point.
Technical management isn't the same as strategic management, I guess you are bored with it because it is more or less repetitive work and you are just in the position to make sure it repeats correctly. If you take the business job hopefully you will be planning and help running the business, not its operations. A job is a job, I'd take whichever pays more, as long as you are comfortable doing either. If you are bored with the engineering job, I think there are more pros to take the business job.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:
merichard87 wrote: Well the engineering job would be manufacturing so theres a ton of management experience there. I'm just very bored with it at this point.
Technical management isn't the same as strategic management, I guess you are bored with it because it is more or less repetitive work and you are just in the position to make sure it repeats correctly. If you take the business job hopefully you will be planning and help running the business, not its operations. A job is a job, I'd take whichever pays more, as long as you are comfortable doing either. If you are bored with the engineering job, I think there are more pros to take the business job.
Cool. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”