GPA jump after fall semester. Apply early or wait?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cowgirl_bebop

GPA jump after fall semester. Apply early or wait?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:43 pm

For the record, I did use the search function to check for past advice, but some people seemed to only be jumping about .1 -.2 points, whereas my jump will be much larger and sadly, not just the difference between a 3.3 and a 3.4.

I had a number of health issues my 3rd and 4th year (Im a 5th year senior btw), including a lengthy hospital stay junior year and a cancer scare and subsequent surgery senior year, and my grades suffered a great deal because of it (of course this would happen after the withdrawal date). I decided to take 2 semesters this year instead of 1 in order to retake some classes and improve my GPA. By the time my fall semester grades come in, I should have jumped .3-.35 points, and should be around a 3.2 by the time May rolls around.

I want to get my apps in as early as possible, but I know my GPA is going to hurt me big time this cycle. Should I 1) go ahead and apply early, update my transcript after the fall, and hope for the best or 2) just wait until after December grades come in to apply with a much higher GPA?

Barbie

Re: GPA jump after fall semester. Apply early or wait?

Postby Barbie » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:48 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:For the record, I did use the search function to check for past advice, but some people seemed to only be jumping about .1 -.2 points, whereas my jump will be much larger and sadly, not just the difference between a 3.3 and a 3.4.

I had a number of health issues my 3rd and 4th year (Im a 5th year senior btw), including a lengthy hospital stay junior year and a cancer scare and subsequent surgery senior year, and my grades suffered a great deal because of it (of course this would happen after the withdrawal date). I decided to take 2 semesters this year instead of 1 in order to retake some classes and improve my GPA. By the time my fall semester grades come in, I should have jumped .3-.35 points, and should be around a 3.2 by the time May rolls around.

I want to get my apps in as early as possible, but I know my GPA is going to hurt me big time this cycle. Should I 1) go ahead and apply early, update my transcript after the fall, and hope for the best or 2) just wait until after December grades come in to apply with a much higher GPA?

What is your GPA before the 3.2? I think applying early is typically the best response. If you have an LSAT score that will carry you into schools that you would like to go to, go ahead and send them out! I have a low GPA also. I applied to one school last year with a 2.9 GPA, and saw this would hurt me. Because it iwas sub3.0, I took 21 credit hours the next semester, got straight As, and brought it up to a 3.1. With a stroke of luck I was allowed to late withdrawal from a semester I Too had medical problems, and it went to a 3.3 You may want to see if you can do what I did. I protested (was denied at first) and had to prove I had substantial medical problems during a semester that was YEARs ago, and they event accepted it! Anyways, it depends on the gain. if you have a 3.0 now, a 3.2 won't really be a huge difference.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:53 pm

What is your GPA before the 3.2? I think applying early is typically the best response. If you have an LSAT score that will carry you into schools that you would like to go to, go ahead and send them out! I have a low GPA also. I applied to one school last year with a 2.9 GPA, and saw this would hurt me. Because it iwas sub3.0, I took 21 credit hours the next semester, got straight As, and brought it up to a 3.1. With a stroke of luck I was allowed to late withdrawal from a semester I Too had medical problems, and it went to a 3.3 You may want to see if you can do what I did. I protested (was denied at first) and had to prove I had substantial medical problems during a semester that was YEARs ago, and they event accepted it! Anyways, it depends on the gain. if you have a 3.0 now, a 3.2 won't really be a huge difference.[/quote]

Right now Im (shamefully) at a 2.64. Thankfully my school allows us to retake and replace poor grades with our better ones, so if I hunker down and study hard, I can raise my GPA substantially after this semester. The difference between a 2.64 and a 2.9 is a BIG difference. However, I will still be below 3.0 :(

Oh, and Im shooting for a 170+ on my LSAT, if that helps

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:01 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Right now Im (shamefully) at a 2.64. Thankfully my school allows us to retake and replace poor grades with our better ones, so if I hunker down and study hard, I can raise my GPA substantially after this semester. The difference between a 2.64 and a 2.9 is a BIG difference. However, I will still be below 3.0 :(

Oh, and Im shooting for a 170+ on my LSAT, if that helps

Ok, I am pretty sure you have a misunderstanding of the LSDAS calculated GPA. Trust me, I have retaken courses (we call it grade forgiveness) and my cumulative GPA overall is a nice and pretty 3.7ish. My LSDAS GPA is still only a 3.3, because law school does not give a shit about grade forgiveness. They do not count it as a replacement grade. I took computer science and got a D in it. I took it again and got a B, and did grade forgiveness for my University. My University GPA doesn't count the D, but LSDAS calculation does. So it probably won't go up nearly as much as you think, even if you get straight A's.

Get a 170+ and apply. Your GPA is low, but you can't really change it now, especially being a 5th year senior (like myself) because we have so many credits. Get a great LSAT and apply to schools that are splitter friendly.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:42 pm

Ok, I am pretty sure you have a misunderstanding of the LSDAS calculated GPA. Trust me, I have retaken courses (we call it grade forgiveness) and my cumulative GPA overall is a nice and pretty 3.7ish. My LSDAS GPA is still only a 3.3, because law school does not give a shit about grade forgiveness. They do not count it as a replacement grade. I took computer science and got a D in it. I took it again and got a B, and did grade forgiveness for my University. My University GPA doesn't count the D, but LSDAS calculation does. So it probably won't go up nearly as much as you think, even if you get straight A's.

Get a 170+ and apply. Your GPA is low, but you can't really change it now, especially being a 5th year senior (like myself) because we have so many credits. Get a great LSAT and apply to schools that are splitter friendly.[/quote]

Oh crap :( I really wasnt aware of that. Oh well, I guess there isnt much I can do about it now. Thanks for the help

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”