Addendum Length

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrAdams

Addendum Length

Postby MrAdams » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:27 pm

I have written an addendum for my applications to US law schools in this cycle, but at 2 pages long, size 12 Times New Roman, double spaced, I am concerned that it may be too long. It essentially covers the ranks of my undergrad UK and NL law schools, their teaching/exam system and how high calibre law firms in London view my prospective degree class, i.e. it is what they ask for. Although I am happy with the relevance of this information and my wording, I have never written an 'addendum' before and so I am not sure how long this kind of thing can be or even if you can write multiple addendum...s?

kalvano

Re: Addendum Length

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:40 pm

An addendum should be about a paragraph. Do they need to know all this stuff? Do they specifically ask for it?

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:04 pm

kalvano wrote:An addendum should be about a paragraph. Do they need to know all this stuff? Do they specifically ask for it?

+1

The only reason I would ever think that an addendum should be that long is if you had a VERY serious criminal history.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:06 pm

An addendum should be a very brief factual statement of a situation. If you're at two pages you've either got a ridiculous amount of stuff to disclose or you're editorializing far too much. That's just too long.

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Okay, thanks for the info. Like I say, never had the need to write one of these before.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:14 pm

If it's simply about how international programs work, assuming the school is in the T50 or so, they've probably had applicants from the programs before and are familiar with them.

Especially if it's a UK school.

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:26 am

My addendum is in vain of the advice given by Webbylu in the second page of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110804

The problem is that I have attended two undergrad law schools in two different EU countries and so ranking them both takes up a paragraph in itself! Discussing the differences between undergrad law and other undergrad programs in the UK and US takes a bit of space because,.. well, there are a lot of differences.

I think I am going to email the admissions officers at the schools I am applying to and ask them what they'd like me to discuss and how long it can be ha.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”