Young Applicant

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nycdreamer89

Young Applicant

Postby nycdreamer89 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:29 am

Hey guys. Basically, I'm applying to law school this year after graduating from a flagship public this past May. I have a 169 LSAT and a 3.84 GPA. Many of my credits were from a dual enrollment program, but they are all college courses, and the school is a small college, as opposed to a community college. I'll be retaking the LSAT in October as well (i was PTing a few points higher last September). I'm currently working full time as a teacher, and I have a decent amount of work experience and softs, mostly related to children (I'm planning to do something related to child advocacy). My letters of recommendation should be good, and I'm a solid writer, so I think I should be able to write a good PS.

The only issue is that I will be 20 when I matriculate to law school, and I'm 19 now. I am positive that I want to go to law school this fall, and right now I'm pretty set on public interest. Is my age going to be an issue? Should I write an addendum or a diversity statement, or just leave it alone? Depending on my new LSAT score, would applying to Columbia or NYU ED be a wise decision to offset concerns about my age? I'm just not really sure what the appropriate way to go about this is, since I'd rather not get dinged everywhere, lol. Thank you!

revolution724

Re: Young Applicant

Postby revolution724 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:34 am

nycdreamer89 wrote:The only issue is that I will be 20 when I matriculate to law school, and I'm 19 now. I am positive that I want to go to law school this fall, and right now I'm pretty set on public interest. Is my age going to be an issue? Should I write an addendum or a diversity statement, or just leave it alone? Depending on my new LSAT score, would applying to Columbia or NYU ED be a wise decision to offset concerns about my age? I'm just not really sure what the appropriate way to go about this is, since I'd rather not get dinged everywhere, lol. Thank you!

There was at least one 20-year-old in my section last year. If you wanted to work it into your personal or diversity statement, it is a thing that might set you apart, but I doubt it would be a problem.

nycdreamer89

Postby nycdreamer89 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 am

Okay, that's a relief. I know it's not super abnormal or anything, and I know law schools are primarily concerned with numbers, but I'm just concerned that adcoms will question my maturity or my dedication maybe? I guess I'll see if I can work it into my PS or a DS as a positive thing. Thanks!

Postby 2014 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:12 am

The only issue would be if you are lacking extracurriculars or WE whereas people with your same numbers had them. They would not reject someone who was numerically qualified with decent softs simply because of age.

RussianGirl

Postby RussianGirl » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:18 am

There was a 20-yr-old in my class at UChi as well

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:19 am

nycdreamer89 wrote:Okay, that's a relief. I know it's not super abnormal or anything, and I know law schools are primarily concerned with numbers, but I'm just concerned that adcoms will question my maturity or my dedication maybe? I guess I'll see if I can work it into my PS or a DS as a positive thing. Thanks!

No problem. That was at Fordham, for what it's worth.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”