(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Frank

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:39 pm

Frank wrote:
St.Remy wrote:Columbia has a lot of cool looking study abroad options. Are you planning on doing one or do you know anyone who has? I'm interested in knowing if a study abroad is something only done by people who have a specific international career in mind or if it is a cool thing that people do during 3L because their career is already set.

Thanks in advance!

Yup, I sure am. Without getting too specific (for fear of outing self), I plan on doing one my 3L year in Europe. I got in the program my 2L year (this year), but I had to postpone it due to the uncertainty of my job situation. I have pretty much been told, more or less, I can do it 3L year. Sort of like an unofficial deferral.

A good buddy of mine is doing one of the joint degree programs in England next year. You go the entire year for that.

There are a lot of good ones, all around the world. You can even create your own.

So do you and others do these study abroad programs because of some specific interest in international law with regards to the country you are going to, or is it just a fun thing that people who have no plans to do anything international-focused also do?

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:23 pm

Rik Smits

Postby Rik Smits » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Does Columbia have any health law-related clinics? Do you know of anyone who's had experience with trying to get a health law job or summer internship? I assume Columbia does well in that field, just looking for more information.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:39 pm

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks for answering questions.

It's hard on this forum to get good admissions advice from actual students, as opposed to other 0Ls. From an admissions standpoint, do you have any particular insights or myths to debunk from your perspective? Also, judging by your peers, is there anything Columbia looks for beyond the numbers (WE, etc.) or is it a fairly numbers (LSAT especially) based game?

Columbia was / is my number 1, but i'm a reverse splitter by CLS standards (75 % GPA / 25% LSAT) so i'm kinda worried about my chances.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Rik Smits wrote:Does Columbia have any health law-related clinics? Do you know of anyone who's had experience with trying to get a health law job or summer internship? I assume Columbia does well in that field, just looking for more information.

I just browsed the lists of clinics, centers, and programs and didn't see any that looked health care-related.

Here are the links if you're interested!

http://www.law.columbia.edu/focusareas/clinics

http://www.law.columbia.edu/center_program

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:55 pm

slacker

Postby slacker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:13 am

Why is this here and not the "Discuss your Law School" board?

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 am

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:50 am

I just wanted to add one more thing to Frank's excellent insights re: interviewing/EIP/jobs. Law Review/(visible) URM status seem to count just as much, if not more than grades. The exception would be at v5 firms, where only the latter seems to alter expectations. So that should be taken into account when you consider that 65/70% got jobs through EIP last year, but they weren't always the top 65% of the class. It makes life even scarier for those under median.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:13 pm

JG Hall wrote:I just wanted to add one more thing to Frank's excellent insights re: interviewing/EIP/jobs. Law Review/(visible) URM status seem to count just as much, if not more than grades. The exception would be at v5 firms, where only the latter seems to alter expectations. So that should be taken into account when you consider that 65/70% got jobs through EIP last year, but they weren't always the top 65% of the class. It makes life even scarier for those under median.

True. But, you can still get jobs by being below median. You just need a good personality and a smart bidding strategy.

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Not sure if you have that much info to answer this, but is most of OCI for NY positions? Do most people at CLS try for NY positions, and would it be difficult to find a good position through OCI outside of NY? Thanks!

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Not sure if you'll get to this but I'll toss it out there as anyway.

Are 1L grades primarily determined by luck? Many people on here carry the sentiment that those who do well are just lucky since everybody studies an excessive amount and everyone is fairly intelligent. IE there is no real correlation between studying/work put in to a class and the grade you receive.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 pm

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:05 pm

A Columbia 1L I spoke to last year suggested that NYU students seemed a little bit more laidback than her peers. Said Columbia 1L is also a pretty tightly wound person, so I imagine his perspective is a little bit skewed. Have you gotten a chance to interact with NYU students, and do you have thoughts on this observation?
Last edited by re-applicant on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:08 pm

How does it seem for those not interested in BigLaw at least not right away? Is clerking pretty popular/is it ultra competitive?

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Also, (sorry for the double post) how is healthcare and evironmental law there...does anyone do a master in bioethics or environment along with the JD, and can you do it in three? Are the study abroad degrees certifying you to practice abroad?

rocky

Postby rocky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:32 pm

Different CLS 2L here, I'll handle some Qs.
Unshake wrote:Are 1L grades primarily determined by luck? Many people on here carry the sentiment that those who do well are just lucky since everybody studies an excessive amount and everyone is fairly intelligent. IE there is no real correlation between studying/work put in to a class and the grade you receive.

I agree that it depends who you ask. People with good grades think it's talent, people with bad grades think it's luck. I think they're both right. My guess is your 1L class rank (not published but you can estimate) will have a good 15% margin of error or so. It's a matter of taste when distinguishing a lot of exams, but the curve forces professors to do so. More importantly, however, law school exams aren't as much a function of knowledge, but of writing/exam taking skills. It's not something UG or LSAT measures, but IMO it's what separates the wheat from the chaff. (full disclosure: I was a stone scholar).

ajmanyjah wrote:How does it seem for those not interested in BigLaw at least not right away?

I'm not really sure what this means. If you mean that now you're not interested in BigLaw but may be by 2L OCI, then I think there are plenty of people like you. Many people realize that BigLaw (whether true or not) indicates you did well and got good training, and pays off your loans. But tons of people plan to do PI and seem to be doing well.

If you mean that you want to work in gov or PI before moving to BigLaw, that's not a well worn path. If you ever plan on doing BigLaw, get a 2L summer position.

ajmanyjah wrote:Is clerking pretty popular/is it ultra competitive?

It's popular, but by 2L a decent amount of people realize they're not competitive for the clerkships they'd want. How competitive is it? I'm not sure. From what I understand, district court clerkship credentials vary widely since many judges are really looking for geographic fit. Ex: Top 30% no law review from rural Kansas may still have a shot with that rural Kansas judge, whereas a NYC kid with the same stats may strike out. But in general, I think you should be top 20% after 2L (assuming no law review) if you want a district court clerkship. For CoA, you should be on law review and at least top 10-15%. Obviously better grades help compensate for no LR and vice versa. Of course, this is just my impression; I'm sure others will disagree.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:38 pm

I know Columbia is big on diversity, but how many African-Americans, particularly males, would you say are students there? You can comment on your class only (2Ls) if that's better.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”