. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Frank

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:28 am

mfeller2 wrote:I come from a more rural area, and I was wondering how urban is Columbia?
Like is there a real lack of open areas? or is it a concrete jungle like I assume what most of NYC is?
for the record, haven't ever been to NY or larger east coast cities.

It is a city. It is NYC, the most urban city in the US. The law school is on a main drag, and it is surrounded by tons of other buildings. The undergrad is across the street, which is secluded from the city. It has all the other schools buildings, along with some trees. A little bit of grass. NYC, in general, doesn't have grass--you have to go the Central Park for that, which isn't too far. Very different from rural areas.

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:34 am

Thanks, I'm going to visit sometime this year if I get in. I just don't really know what to expect. I think I could live there, I just don't want to feel suffocated. Other big cities I've been to are so polluted and crowded it just kind of stresses me out.

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:10 pm

mfeller2 wrote:Thanks, I'm going to visit sometime this year if I get in. I just don't really know what to expect. I think I could live there, I just don't want to feel suffocated. Other big cities I've been to are so polluted and crowded it just kind of stresses me out.
Not a CLS student, but I wanted to respond and say that you should spend a substantial amount of time in NYC if possible before deciding on a school there. I am from a very, very rural town (pop. 3,000) and have lived in a few large cities. I actually love city life, but NYC is even overwhelming for me. I love Chicago, have spent a lot of time in both London and Buenos Aires, and they didn't even come close to the crowded, intense feeling of NYC in my opinion. Not trying to dissaude you from NYC, but just letting you know that it is probably way more intense than other large cities you've been to, so you'll want to plan to spend some time there if you're thinking about living there. Good luck! :)

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Hey Eskimo, what makes you love Chicago? Been to NY a bunch of times but my experience in Chicago comprises of spending 9 hours in O'Hare.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Hannibal wrote:Hey Eskimo, what makes you love Chicago? Been to NY a bunch of times but my experience in Chicago comprises of spending 9 hours in O'Hare.
Hm. A lot of it is just the feeling, which is a shitty answer, I know. Um. My mom is from there, so I've always visited and loved it/gotten familiar with it. I like that it's huge, has all the advantages of a large city, but really not quite the psycho/touristy feel. Like, I feel like I'm always with a bunch of tourists in DC/NYC, but I can just go to Chicago and have a great time. Loooove the lakefront, am obsessed with some of the museums there :D and I dunno, I guess I've just always kind of dreamed of moving there, so some of it may just be emotional attachment.

And you probably won't care about this, but seriously excellent shopping.

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Frank wrote:
mfeller2 wrote:Thanks, I'm going to visit sometime this year if I get in. I just don't really know what to expect. I think I could live there, I just don't want to feel suffocated. Other big cities I've been to are so polluted and crowded it just kind of stresses me out.
If other cities have overwhelmed you with crowds and pollution, NYC DEFINITELY will do the same. It is one of the largest cities in the world. Everything there is 100x what it would be in a smaller city you may have visited (the dirtiness, the crowds, the noise, the lights, etc., etc.). So, you should know that before going. There are no stars. No crickets to listen to at night. No grass. No tress. But, that's what a city is, and if you plan on going to Columbia, that is the sort of urban environment you will find yourself, especially given it is NYC.
I'm not in LS yet but I do go to school in the city, and I would say that the area around Columbia isn't like super-duper overwhelmingly crazy (definitely nothing Times Square-y). It's near Central Park and all, which is a nice place to get away from crowds and tons of concretes. And there are trees/grass/statues/pretty things in the Columbia campus, so it's not a completely concrete wasteland.

But definitely visit, because if you get overwhelmed on a weekend, you will definitely get overwhelmed living there. Though I have to say, it does make a difference having a "home" you can go back to versus a marathon day of touristy behavior/a hotel.

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:49 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Although I consider myself a city person, New York City was definitely overwhelming (worked there for several months - I wasn't too happy...)

Boston and Chicago are nice city alternatives, I think.

BUT, there is a reason why NYC is considered the center of the world.
There is no limit to its resources.

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:19 am

Thanks for all the responses, Eskimo, Frank, and others. NYC is definitely looking less like somewhere I'd want to spend law school, I think Ann Arbor might be more my style You hear me Michigan! But still might as well apply and make a visit if I get in. Thanks again!

Ivan91

New

Post by Ivan91 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Question from an international student :
Do you know any international students in Columbia and where are they from :)

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Frank

Bronze

Post by Frank » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:27 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”