.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

.

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:49 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:50 am

Frank wrote:Bored. Shoot. 2L.


How is living in NYC? what did you grow up in (big city, suburbs, etc.)?

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:52 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:53 am

Frank wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Frank wrote:Bored. Shoot. 2L.


How is living in NYC? what did you grow up in (big city, suburbs, etc.)?



I like NYC. It is pretty busy, of course, and there are a lot of people, but Columbia is in a decent area, and I enjoy the people that live around here. NYC is pretty diverse, so there is really no one way to define the city's culture.

I grew up in the suburbs. Small suburbs.


Interesting, I am from the suburbs as well and i'm not sure how much i'd enjoy living in such a huge city. Glad you're liking it though.

What schools were you deciding between to attend? (or did you do ED?)

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:56 am

Any advice for the cycle and 1L?

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:58 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:58 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:04 am

How difficult was your 1L year? What was your daily schedule like? Below what point are CLS students worried about employment (below median/bottom third/etc.)?

Also, where do you live, do you have roommates, and how much is your rent?

Sorry for so many; wanted to just get them all out at once!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:05 am

What is one thing that you wish someone had told you about 1L that you didn't know until you went through it yourself?

What is one (or more things) that TLS seems to be incorrect or conflict with your experience about the application cycle, 1L, exams, etc.?

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:10 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:14 am

Thank you!

User avatar
lennonist
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby lennonist » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:16 am

How would you rate the kids? A friend of mine (a 3L at CLS) said that for some reason the law school kids aren't particularly friendly. Do you get a sense of that? Is there a campus feel, do people hang out in groups or do they generally keep to themselves?

Thanks a lot! :)

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:17 am

Frank wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Any advice for the cycle and 1L?



What do you want to know specifically?


For 1L about how to balance it. Is it really just all work no play? How does one destress?

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:17 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:18 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:18 am

Frank wrote:
Knockglock wrote:What is one thing that you wish someone had told you about 1L that you didn't know until you went through it yourself?

What is one (or more things) that TLS seems to be incorrect or conflict with your experience about the application cycle, 1L, exams, etc.?



I would have been a lot less anxious if I knew I could still get to work at a firm my 2L summer with mediocre grades. But, that was largely unknown until very recently, and it was certainly nothing to bank on. I guess I also would have liked to have spent less on the study guide books--I really didn't know which to buy.

Ug, well, to be honest, I haven't been on TLS in a while. I am only using it recently for the OCI stuff in the employment section of this. One thing this site often gets wrong are the rosy opportunities that people have by going to law school. It is ugly, to be quite frank. Even at my school, there are plenty of people faced with 200k+ loans who will not have a firm job post-graduation. Going to law school is a serious, serious investment, and people really do have to understand that. I didn't understand it as well as I do now, and I am lucky I can, at least, work at a firm next summer. Nothing is guaranteed in this economy, and TLS gets that wrong (especially this idea that if you go to a 'top' school, you will get a high-paying job, guaranteed. I know many current 3Ls who did not get to work at a firm due to the economy, and, will likely not get to work at a firm, and I know 2Ls who did not get callbacks, so they will not get to work at a firm this upcoming summer). If you don't get a summer firm offer from OCI, it is pretty much impossible to work at a firm in the near future. That's just how they recruit.


Thanks a lot Frank!

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:20 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lennonist
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby lennonist » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:21 am

Frank wrote:
lennonist wrote:How would you rate the kids? A friend of mine (a 3L at CLS) said that for some reason the law school kids aren't particularly friendly. Do you get a sense of that? Is there a campus feel, do people hang out in groups or do they generally keep to themselves?

Thanks a lot! :)



The students here are fine. You get the oddball or two, but, on a whole, everyone is fairly normal, if a bit dorky at times. I have a nice group of friends I tend to stick with most of the time, about ten total, but five or so that are the normal 'go to' friends I do stuff with on a normal basis. I feel that a lot of students have their own little groups and that is how it goes.

Not so much a campus feel. It isn't like college.


Good to know, thank you, Frank!

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:22 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:23 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:23 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:25 am

Frank wrote:Ug, well, to be honest, I haven't been on TLS in a while. I am only using it recently for the OCI stuff in the employment section of this. One thing this site often gets wrong are the rosy opportunities that people have by going to law school. It is ugly, to be quite frank. Even at my school, there are plenty of people faced with 200k+ loans who will not have a firm job post-graduation. Going to law school is a serious, serious investment, and people really do have to understand that. I didn't understand it as well as I do now, and I am lucky I can, at least, work at a firm next summer. Nothing is guaranteed in this economy, and TLS gets that wrong (especially this idea that if you go to a 'top' school, you will get a high-paying job, guaranteed. I know many current 3Ls who did not get to work at a firm due to the economy, and, will likely not get to work at a firm, and I know 2Ls who did not get callbacks, so they will not get to work at a firm this upcoming summer). If you don't get a summer firm offer from OCI, it is pretty much impossible to work at a firm in the near future. That's just how they recruit.

Was their situation bad because of grades, poor interviewing skills, or both? (Or none of the above?)
Last edited by Dany on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:26 am

Thanks! And Good Night!

Frank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:30 am

.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Columbia Law Student, Taking Questions

Postby Dany » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:38 am

Thanks for being so candid.

Are you happy with your choice of CLS over money at Cornell? Would you make the same choice again if given the opportunity for a "do-over"?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Baidu [Spider], carlos_danger, guybourdin, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests