Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CycleTank
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby CycleTank » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:40 pm

I don't understand what they want: it says to send it to NU, and then on their twitter they say send to LSAC. I have already collected my recommendations so I'm not sure how this is going to work(e.g. how would LSAC process the forms?).

Getting real worried.

CycleTank
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby CycleTank » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Oh yeah, the other thing is the form says to include a real letter of recommendation with the form...but then the twitter says only include the form(that the form IS the LOR).

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. Dying to get into the program there!

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:30 am

Deep breath Cycle. It's going to be ok. I would imagine that it's always right to go with what it says on the application over what someone posts on twitter. The form says the recommneder sends the form to you, all sealed up, then you send it to Northwestern. They will send you both the form and the LOR in the envelope.

It doesn't state it, but I imagine you could submit the LOR online and then mail in the career form.

ZombiesAhead
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:47 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby ZombiesAhead » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:24 am

So NW seriously would rather have a CPE from my current employer than ANY of my academic LORs?

And if I don't submit a CPE, then they don't want ANY LORs?

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby RTFM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:21 pm

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

These links apologize for and clear up the discrepancies between instructions.

I think we're going to have to ask our recommenders to fill the CPE out, even if they've already written a LOR. Hopefully it will be easy enough for them to just cut and paste part of the LOR into each CPE question. The blog post is pretty clear that they do NOT want letters, although it does say that if you feel like you have a really awesome letter feel free to send it in (though I'm really not sure if they would read it, and they will probably look more favorably on candidates who do what they ask).

Has anyone called Northwestern and asked them about the CPE? It would be great to hear some of the questions you asked/answers you got.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby Hannibal » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Well, that's cool you can still submit the usual LOR. Not sure I want to based on the way they word it though.

User avatar
DearCan
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby DearCan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 pm

I called NW about this. What I was told was that they prefer the recommender to fill out the CPE form online and submit it online.

If you go to the "Apply" page on their website under "Accelerated JD" there is a link to the online form. I don't know why. I'm applying regular JD, but this is where they decided to put the form. I was told to send this link to my recommender and have them fill it out. It seemed to me that they don't want a LoR at all, and if they receive one through LSAC aren't really likely to read it period.

I probably won't even consider this CPE unless I get waitlisted.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby RTFM » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Did you happen to ask if a recommender can submit the CPE form online before you submit your application?

I meant to call and ask them today, but I was at work from 6:30-4:30 PST :(

User avatar
DearCan
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby DearCan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:57 pm

RTFM wrote:Did you happen to ask if a recommender can submit the CPE form online before you submit your application?

I meant to call and ask them today, but I was at work from 6:30-4:30 PST :(


No unfortunately I didn't. Honestly, I don't like this form. It seems to me like it could easily be forged. But, since Northwestern will consider your file complete without the form, I would advise having your recommender complete and submit the form before you submit your application.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby RTFM » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:21 pm

DearCan wrote:But, since Northwestern will consider your file complete without the form, I would advise having your recommender complete and submit the form before you submit your application.


That's what I was thinking.

DearCan wrote:No unfortunately I didn't. Honestly, I don't like this form. It seems to me like it could easily be forged.


I completely agree! Although I guess that's why they specify no personal e-mail addresses... they probably e-mail to confirm, and it's harder to forge a professional e-mail address. But still.

User avatar
DearCan
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby DearCan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:24 pm

RTFM wrote:
DearCan wrote:But, since Northwestern will consider your file complete without the form, I would advise having your recommender complete and submit the form before you submit your application.


That's what I was thinking.

DearCan wrote:No unfortunately I didn't. Honestly, I don't like this form. It seems to me like it could easily be forged.


I completely agree! Although I guess that's why they specify no personal e-mail addresses... they probably e-mail to confirm, and it's harder to forge a professional e-mail address. But still.


True, but not every employer has a professional email. My employer of three years in undergrad has a hotmail account.

testmachine45
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby testmachine45 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:26 pm

I did ask them. I called them.

I personally think the CPE is totally bonkers(can u imagine if all schools did this on a different form?). It's also difficult for people to fill out....and the online thing provides no confirmation.

What are you looking to know? You just have the recommender do the online form and submit it. Make sure it goes b4 ur app.

testmachine45
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby testmachine45 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:27 pm

The other thing thats dumb is that the CPE form says to send ur LOR with that CPE form, so people think they need both the CPE and the LOR, whereas the CPE is actually the LOR.

testmachine45
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby testmachine45 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:30 pm

also my recommenders havent filled out the cpe form yet on the website, after writing me strong recs. so i dont want to bother them but whatever, guess i have to.

User avatar
DearCan
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby DearCan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:46 pm

I don't think they want academic input period. If you have a professor commenting on your career they may find it disingenuous and lacking credibility. I want to go to Northwestern, but I must say I'm not really happy with this. Considering the amount of questions I would say they didn't give this new system a whole lot of thought.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby RTFM » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:20 am

DearCan wrote:I want to go to Northwestern, but I must say I'm not really happy with this. Considering the amount of questions I would say they didn't give this new system a whole lot of thought.


I'm in complete agreement.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:25 am

DearCan wrote:I don't think they want academic input period. If you have a professor commenting on your career they may find it disingenuous and lacking credibility. I want to go to Northwestern, but I must say I'm not really happy with this. Considering the amount of questions I would say they didn't give this new system a whole lot of thought.

lol it doesn't get better once you enroll either. red tape combat is worth it though, i love it here

User avatar
DearCan
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby DearCan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:30 am

IAFG wrote:
DearCan wrote:I don't think they want academic input period. If you have a professor commenting on your career they may find it disingenuous and lacking credibility. I want to go to Northwestern, but I must say I'm not really happy with this. Considering the amount of questions I would say they didn't give this new system a whole lot of thought.

lol it doesn't get better once you enroll either. red tape combat is worth it though, i love it here


I love to hear this. I'm applying ED to Northwestern. Haha, despite how I feel about the CPE.

glacierfrost
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby glacierfrost » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Love how the online CPE form is done through Survey Monkey.

Anyone else feel that the CPE can totally be forged? It's not that hard to get a "professional" email address.

User avatar
shanemahsa
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Re: Anyone understand Northwestern's CPE Form?

Postby shanemahsa » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:44 pm

LAME!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mema8645 and 7 guests