Resume question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trudat15

Resume question

Postby trudat15 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:00 pm

My resume is pretty long, 1.5-2 pages, because I've been out of UG for 8 years now and have had a few jobs. I see a lot of people advocating a one page resume, but that would mean taking out a big chunk of responsibilities that i had in each job to fit in anything else.

Is it that big a deal you make it a page, or is 2 pages okay?

Also -how are people listing community service on their resume? Mine I usually just had in a category for others (would just add a line saying - volunteered at this place, for this project, etc), but dont know how law schools would like to see it (would they instead like to see the organization name and responsibilities as a volunteer? Then repeating for every place?)

Any help would be much appreciated.

gdane

Re: Resume question

Postby gdane » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:26 pm

Include things that would be relevant to your law school application. If you worked as a grease monkey at Pep Boys for year, dont include this. If you waited tables at the Peppermint Hippo for a few months, dont include this.

Include things that relate to academia, customer relations and community service. For the last one include the name of the organization and a general description of what you did.

Dont go crazy with this. This resume is not that important. Schools just want to see that youve done something productive with your life prior to law school.

Good luck!

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Figured.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Since you have been out of UG for 8 years then 2 pages could be fine (assuming you have enough to say without going into silly things)
I think the general rule is one page unless you've been out of UG for 3+ years.

Some schools throw me off. For example:
Boston U says no length on resume
UT Austin says up to three pages (what!?)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”