Berkeley Resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JJDancer

Berkeley Resume

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Their guideline says
"The resume may be more than one page. A good resume will provide chronological information about your experiences, travels, and accomplishments. You do not need to highlight "law-related" experiences, and likewise, you should include work experience of all types."

Does Berkeley really want to know about summer travel or do they just mean study abroad/something substantial you accomplished while traveling, not just I went hiking in the Andes type of thing?

MrAdams

Re: Berkeley Resume

Postby MrAdams » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:44 pm

The way the sentence is phrased would make it seem so. If you list everything you have ever done it might dilute your resume and therefore draw attention away from more important elements of your resume however. Who knows,.. it would be kind of a bizarre resume segment to just list all the countries you have been to in your life.

I think 'Conducted a hiking expedition in the Andes' would cut it... where as "Went on holiday to the Andes" probably wouldn't.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:48 pm

I would just put summer-abroad programs or substantial accomplishments done while traveling.

It's a still a resume, it should be professional. Don't make it more than a page even though they allow it.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:05 am

I submitted a resume without the hours/week for my jobs and activities. Does this warrant contacting the admissions office to see if they want that? My biggest concern is that their app specifically asks for hours per week, and I didn't put it. I'm afraid that their response will be "oh, this guy didn't even take the time to read the instructions. Ding."

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:39 am

The instructions were to put hours per week on the actual application, right? I don't think it's necessary to put it on the resume.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:33 pm

This is from the text of the application regarding the resume:

List your extracurricular activities since entering undergraduate school, the hours per week devoted to such activities, and
the dates of the activities.
List your positions of employment since high school (either full- or part-time), the number of hours per week devoted to
each position, and the dates of employment.
List your care of dependents (children and adults)

I mean, most applicants already have a resume that they are submitting to most schools, most of which probaby don't include hours per wekk, right? Does anyone edit their resume specifically for a school like this? I should have...

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Huh. For the law school applications I've looked at, there were slots on the actual application form where you put in the hours/week stuff. You can probably just email the office a revised version of your resume so that they'll put it in your file.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:18 pm

stargazin wrote:Huh. For the law school applications I've looked at, there were slots on the actual application form where you put in the hours/week stuff. You can probably just email the office a revised version of your resume so that they'll put it in your file.

I talked to my consultant, and this is the correct response. I'll email my edited resume in soon.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”