Second (unfinished) Bachelors Degree

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rbarcelo9

Second (unfinished) Bachelors Degree

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:18 pm

I was just wondering if having an unfinished bachelors degree would hurt my chances. I already received a bachelor's and was just trying to get a Spanish degree before I began practicing (I want to practice in South Florida). I will only have 3 classes left once I start law school and intend to take one class every summer of law school. Should I write an addendum explaining my plans to the admissions committees, or simply leave it untouched? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Knock

Re: Second (unfinished) Bachelors Degree

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:45 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:I was just wondering if having an unfinished bachelors degree would hurt my chances. I already received a bachelor's and was just trying to get a Spanish degree before I began practicing (I want to practice in South Florida). I will only have 3 classes left once I start law school and intend to take one class every summer of law school. Should I write an addendum explaining my plans to the admissions committees, or simply leave it untouched? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I don't think they really care. Only your classes prior to the awarding of your first bachelor's degree are counted towards your LSAC GPA, and the specifics of your transcript doesn't really matter much.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Knockglock wrote:
rbarcelo9 wrote:I was just wondering if having an unfinished bachelors degree would hurt my chances. I already received a bachelor's and was just trying to get a Spanish degree before I began practicing (I want to practice in South Florida). I will only have 3 classes left once I start law school and intend to take one class every summer of law school. Should I write an addendum explaining my plans to the admissions committees, or simply leave it untouched? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I don't think they really care. Only your classes prior to the awarding of your first bachelor's degree are counted towards your LSAC GPA, and the specifics of your transcript doesn't really matter much.

This. and you might not have much time for those classes over summer during law school..why not just take the 3 classes this semester? Then you'll be finishing your second degree while you wait to get in to schools (assuming you're applying this cycle)

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm taking a class right now and will be taking a full course load in the spring and in summer. I did not want to be full time this fall because I wanted to focus on my applications and on my LSAT retake as well. The major requires 12 classes, I will take 9 before starting my 1L year.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:42 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:I'm taking a class right now and will be taking a full course load in the spring and in summer. I did not want to be full time this fall because I wanted to focus on my applications and on my LSAT retake as well. The major requires 12 classes, I will take 9 before starting my 1L year.

Well in that case I don't think that your degree not being finished will matter at ALL in your applications. As far as law schools know (and care) you have enough units to apply and the caveat that you must graduate this year has already been fulfilled with your first degree. After you're accepted you can just not pursue the degree or finish over the summers but they won't care as long as you send them something saying you have an undergraduate degree (the first one).

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”