Applying while teaching abroad??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kickincane21

Applying while teaching abroad??

Postby kickincane21 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:32 am

So I applied to a few schools last year and got in to some and not into others...I have been out of school for 3-4 years with no major work experience, but after sending in my applications last year I have since started working at a law firm for about 8 months and now I will be leaving in a few weeks to spend about 9 months teaching English in Korea. Do either of these two additions to my overall application help at all? Also since I've already been through the whole process I am pretty much ready to apply now, but was thinking I might wait to apply until the beginning of Oct. so I can apply from Korea, do you think that would help my application stand out more? Also any other general advice on me reapplying? I'm chosen mostly different schools from the first time because I want to try to get more scholarship money so I'm aiming a little lower in rankings, but re-applying to 1 or 2 but feel weird submitting the same application.

Knock

Re: Applying while teaching abroad??

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:34 am

kickincane21 wrote:So I applied to a few schools last year and got in to some and not into others...I have been out of school for 3-4 years with no major work experience, but after sending in my applications last year I have since started working at a law firm for about 8 months and now I will be leaving in a few weeks to spend about 9 months teaching English in Korea. Do either of these two additions to my overall application help at all? Also since I've already been through the whole process I am pretty much ready to apply now, but was thinking I might wait to apply until the beginning of Oct. so I can apply from Korea, do you think that would help my application stand out more? Also any other general advice on me reapplying? I'm chosen mostly different schools from the first time because I want to try to get more scholarship money so I'm aiming a little lower in rankings, but re-applying to 1 or 2 but feel weird submitting the same application.

I know of two people who post here regularly that are broad teaching English who are submitting applications for this cycle. I don't think it hurts them, except maybe with snail mail fee waivers (Cornell is the only T-14 that I know of that has done this).

No, applying from Korea won't make your application stand out more or help you out in anyway.

12AngryMen

Postby 12AngryMen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:38 am

It will help you phenominally. No experience to working in a law firm and teaching in koria . . . uh . . . yah it will help and also set you aside as excellent when they compare you.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:40 am

12AngryMen wrote:It will help you phenominally. No experience to working in a law firm and teaching in koria . . . uh . . . yah it will help and also set you aside as excellent when they compare you.

Ignore this guy (and not just in this thread, disregard any of his posts). He is a troll, and a horrible one at that.

12AngryMen

Postby 12AngryMen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:54 am

Knock'nmyGlock always says that when you disagree with him, he's funny like that. Can't blame him he just wants to be right. Serious though your work experience will help as AdCommits see your familiarity in the law and a well driven desire to help your fellow man through teaching.

maroonzoon

Postby maroonzoon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:38 pm

OP, are you doing TALK?

I had a friend who wrote a LOCI from Korea on that program, got her into Cornell off WL.

hemm

Postby hemm » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:16 pm

I'm applying from Korea right now. I've been here a few years. Logistically it's no big deal, but it is a bit of a headache with the time difference.

As for an admissions boost, I can say with complete confidence I have very little idea how much teaching abroad helps :D
Last edited by hemm on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm applying from Vietnam, teaching here. I, too, can say with complete confidence that I have no idea how it affects your app, but I imagine no more or less than any other decent full-time work. My apps are even more of a toss-up because I did my undergraduate degree abroad as well.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:43 pm

hemm wrote:I'm applying from Korea right now. I've been here a few years. Logistically it's no big deal, but its is a bit of a headache with the time difference.

As for an admissions boost, I can say with complete confidence I have very little idea how much teaching abroad helps :D

i know they are more inclined to give fee waivers to people who have taught abroad. i don't know why as they get paid pretty fairly, right? so maybe they do prefer it.

haydee

Postby haydee » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:51 am

The general consensus on softs here on TLS is just that -- they're softs. Barring any extraordinary circumstances (Nobel prize, Oscar, etc), if your numbers don't meet or exceed the school's medians, soft factors are unlikely to be much help to you.

That said, applying from Korea might help set you apart from applicants who otherwise share your credentials. Who can turn down an extra boost?

For the most part, applying in early October is no better or worse than applying in early September. We don't know exactly when adcomms start reviewing applications, or whether they even view them in the order in which they were submitted. A super-early application is good, but an only-slightly-less-early application that also has a qualification that might distinguish it from other similar applications is just as good, if not better. I can't think of an especially good reason not to wait until early October. It might not help, but I don't see how it can hurt.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:39 am

I'm currently applying from ruralish China...a little bit annoying. I'm requesting fee waivers (I'm making about $200/month here!), and a lot of schools are asking for mailed verification. Annoying.

Other than that, not so bad. I'm very glad it's not ten years ago when I would have had to do paper apps...

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:47 am

I applied from Korea. Amazingly, people are impressed by teaching English abroad even though it's the easiest job to get. Yeah, I dunno.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”