submitting an extra essay

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
silly101

submitting an extra essay

Postby silly101 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:09 pm

can i submit an extra essay that doesn't fit under any prompt?

more specifically, im thinking for penn. it doesnt fit under any supplemental prompt essay.
its a 1 page double spaced essay- family adversity. it doesnt fit under the diversity statement because it doesnt relate to what i can bring to the classroom
are we allowed to submit extra info like this?

Knock

Re: submitting an extra essay

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:18 pm

silly101 wrote:can i submit an extra essay that doesn't fit under any prompt?

more specifically, im thinking for penn. it doesnt fit under any supplemental prompt essay.
its a 1 page double spaced essay- family adversity. it doesnt fit under the diversity statement because it doesnt relate to what i can bring to the classroom

Call the admissions committee of Penn. This is a question for which the answer varies school to school, i'd imagine.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Knockglock wrote:
silly101 wrote:can i submit an extra essay that doesn't fit under any prompt?

Call the admissions committee of Penn. This is a question for which the answer varies school to school, i'd imagine.

Even if you call Penn and you get the go-ahead Silly I don't know if sending the extra essay would be that great of an idea. Since it doesn't relate to what you can bring to the classroom your family adversity experience should directly relate to why you want to go to law school. Because of this I think it would be much better to try and weave any family adversity information you would want to include into your PS or work it into the Penn 5 year plan essay. I don't know what purpose having a standalone essay covering this topic would serve.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:52 pm

interesting/valid point

anyone else?

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:07 pm

if you consider it a diversity statement then yes
admissions deans strongly encourage diversity statements. do you mind saying specifically what this family adversity is? if it falls along the lines of special needs, race, disability, perhaps abuse or criminal background of a parents then yes.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”