Worth it to ED Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
QuailMan

New

Worth it to ED

Post by QuailMan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:34 pm

So I'm trying to figure the value of ED'ing my #1 school.

My GPA is .08 below their median. Avg LSAT (took twice) is at median and my highest LSAT is one point above.

It sounds like most deans say that ED doesnt really do anything positive or negative to your chances except for a few borderline cases...but it seems like I would be one of those.

I'm visiting next month to see if I'm sure I'm ready to commit there, I graduated so my GPA isnt going anywhere and my apps are going to be ready to go before Halloween, regardless of what I decide.

So do I have anything to gain from ED, or should I just get all my apps in early and see what happens?

2ofspades

Bronze

Re: Worth it to ED

Post by 2ofspades » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Which school?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 pm

2ofspades wrote:Which school?
Yeh this would help.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm going to tag this because I have the same question. Even if it doesn't give you a boost, I wonder if by placing yourself in a select group of applicants by EDing increases the chance that they will spend more time actually considering your app - I read a statistic that said adcomms only give each app about 5 min. Any ideas out there? (Colorado is where I would like to ED)

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
2ofspades wrote:Which school?
Yeh this would help.
UPenn

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:15 pm

QuailMan wrote:UPenn
If you're sure Penn is your #1 choice, you should ED to avoid getting WLed. Also, Penn doesn't average. If your highest score is a 171, that's what they'll consider.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:12 pm

esq wrote:I'm going to tag this because I have the same question. Even if it doesn't give you a boost, I wonder if by placing yourself in a select group of applicants by EDing increases the chance that they will spend more time actually considering your app - I read a statistic that said adcomms only give each app about 5 min. Any ideas out there? (Colorado is where I would like to ED)

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that poor college students give schools $50-100 to review an app for five mins? I don't even think biglaw firms bill corporations so much for so little time. If there is one legal racket (oxymoron) in the world, it's America's education system.

Just a pointless rant.

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:16 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
esq wrote:I'm going to tag this because I have the same question. Even if it doesn't give you a boost, I wonder if by placing yourself in a select group of applicants by EDing increases the chance that they will spend more time actually considering your app - I read a statistic that said adcomms only give each app about 5 min. Any ideas out there? (Colorado is where I would like to ED)

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that poor college students give schools $50-100 to review an app for five mins? I don't even think biglaw firms bill corporations so much for so little time. If there is one legal racket (oxymoron) in the world, it's America's education system.

Just a pointless rant.
Sometimes when someone posts on TLS that they "read a statistic," the statistic isn't accurate. Sometimes when someone posts on TLS that they "read a statistic," they read it on TLS...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:21 pm

2ofspades wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:

Just a pointless rant.
Sometimes when someone posts on TLS that they "read a statistic," the statistic isn't accurate. Sometimes when someone posts on TLS that they "read a statistic," they read it on TLS...
eh, I believe Anna Ivey (former Dean of Admissions at UChi) referenced this stat in her book. I have to agree with GettingReady2010: for all the time and money we spend on these apps, it seems like they should afford us more than 5 minutes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”