LORs/Evaluations how many?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jtemp320

LORs/Evaluations how many?

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:39 pm

I know this has been argued over before but two major questions:

- If you have 4 good LORs that you believe each add a distinct (from each other) and positive view of you. (Two from WE, two academic) Do you hurt yourself at schools that accept 4 by sending them all? Are you really running a risk of annoying adcomms? If so, do you think 3 letters will annoy adcomms?

- On LSAC's site when you add letters but not evaluations under some schools a note appears stating that you have less then the recomended # of evaluations these being brand new- is it possible you are hurting yourself by not sending any evals?

Knock

Re: LORs/Evaluations how many?

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:42 pm

jtemp320 wrote:I know this has been argued over before but two major questions:

- If you have 4 good LORs that you believe each add a distinct (from each other) and positive view of you. (Two from WE, two academic) Do you hurt yourself at schools that accept 4 by sending them all? Are you really running a risk of annoying adcomms? If so, do you think 3 letters will annoy adcomms?

- On LSAC's site when you add letters but not evaluations under some schools a note appears stating that you have less then the recomended # of evaluations these being brand new- is it possible you are hurting yourself by not sending any evals?

-No, if they're all pretty distinct and positive, I doubt it will hurt you. I think Kretzy had 7 LORs, and he largely credits this for his successful cycle (including a Stanford acceptance). But remember, LOR don't usually make your application, but they can break it if they're weak or "damning you with faint praise." So make sure you are very confident your recommendations are very positive before you send them. If you're unsure about one, i'd say to omit sending it.

-It shouldn't hurt you at all to not do evaluations. I've only heard of one school that requires them, (W&L?, can't remember). Most people it seems, me included, aren't planning on doing any evaluations at all.
Last edited by Knock on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:43 pm

1) If all 4 of your LORs are strong then there is nothing wrong with sending them all. Just be prepared for an adcomm who is overworked to just grab whatever two are on top and ignore the others.

2) Nobody cares about the evaluations beyond maybe a signal of interest to the few schools that actually recommend them (Cornell). I'm ignoring them, most other people are too.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:53 am

St.Remy wrote:

1) If all 4 of your LORs are strong then there is nothing wrong with sending them all. Just be prepared for an adcomm who is overworked to just grab whatever two are on top and ignore the others.

2) Nobody cares about the evaluations beyond maybe a signal of interest to the few schools that actually recommend them (Cornell). I'm ignoring them, most other people are too.

1) Yikes - wish I strategized which two letters end up on top then (if that is even possible)? Good to know that if they all are as I believe then they won't hurt my chances (at worst will be ignored) - saw an earlier thread where people were ripping on those who had 4 letters - I honestly think they all will be very strong and are from legitimate sources so I think I'll go ahead as planned.

That said - I do know LORs are a secondary factor anyway

2) regarding evaluations - thats what I thought - Cornell and others are definitely on my list and I didn't want to ignore their recommendations - that said coming this late in the game I figured most people would ignore them this cycle

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:42 am

Admissions officers read thousands of apps so I imagine most would be a little irritated at extra material to read if they don't feel like it adds much. Have you ever graded papers? You start to really appreciate people who manage to be succint.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”