Californian Law Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pleasye

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:55 pm

bk1 wrote:Not to be presumptuous but if KG was applying to every school where his chances were really good he would be applying to all 200 of them.

Hahaha true...but he was considering applying to UCI (I think) before the 3rd LOR came up..and also I was just saying it may be more worth it for him to get one just for UCI than for me to do so.

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:03 pm

ViP wrote:Just FYI, the faculty and administration at UCI laughs hysterically every time someone mentions the word "risk." First, our incredible professors left tenured positions at top programs in order to join UCI. They wouldn't make such a move if they viewed it as a risk. Second, the program has received (and continues to receive) massive support from the Orange County community. At orientation every student met his/her respective mentor (a local attorney from the area), and the mentors assured us that the community's excitement over UCI is no exaggeration. The entire first year class landed jobs last summer (many of them were paid jobs, and many of the students had multiple jobs).

Having said that, keep in mind that the above primarily applies to the Orange County market. The further away you search, the harder it will be to land an immediate job (although most of the firms/organizations in the area have offices across the nation, and judges across the nation have already asked Dean Chemerinsky to send over some UCI students for clerkships... and the Dean has had to clarify that we don't exactly have any graduates yet). The pull of our Dean is immeasurable.

Anyways, the application is free, so I don't see any reason to not apply. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am aware of your college's credentials and academic rooster. My comment was not a slight in any way against the quality of your school, its faculty or dean, and if you read up the thread you will notice I have said several times that the school seems to be "an incredible new school". I have even gone as far as to encourage others to apply, as I myself will be doing. You have to understand however, that for a for international students, who have to throw in up-to $180k in private loans into their law school considerations, having a good idea of whether there will be a job waiting at the end is important, regardless of the hysterical laughter that may produce. Jumping around the world is risky business and I am sure when your school was founded the key stones realised there was an element of risk in what they were doing. Of course it is true to say that with any school there is a 'risk' that you may not find employment, but when you are half way round the world, numbers make up a lot of faith. Your reply seems to be very confident of the opportunities for its graduates however, and I applaud the fact that you took the time to come onto this forum to discuss your school and specifically target a concern I raised.

Eidt: One of the main reasons why I had said previously that I think I would fit in well at UCI is that, as far as I see it, both parties are jumping relatively into the unknown, have valued the risks and are taking a shot anyway. To have this common characteristic is pleasant. It is indeed quite a fundamental aspect of my character to throw caution to the wind and to go the distance to prove naysayers wrong (I get it enough when I say I want to study in California),... but to not evaluate risk at all is foolhardy.
Last edited by MrAdams on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:03 pm

I really want to attend LS in Los Angeles but I'm not a CA resident and fear that either I'll get WL/dinged at UCLA and USC or at best, get into USC with no $$.

Is Loyola the next best school in the area if I strike out at both?

With my stats I would really like to attend a T1 school but my SO is in LA...so far I'm only applying to UCLA and USC in SoCal though.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:08 pm

The Pepperdine/Loyola debate rages on for the best Los Angeles school following USC. If you have the #s to be a possibility at UCLA or USC, you can likely expect significant $$ from both.
UCI isnt so far south that they shouldnt at least be in the conversation when in comes to "best schools in LA" its not in LA of course, but if you want to work in LA/live in LA after graduating, then you should consider it. Of course you will be spending your school years outside LA, but orange county is not so bad.
Last edited by 1ferret! on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:12 pm

JJDancer wrote:I really want to attend LS in Los Angeles but I'm not a CA resident and fear that either I'll get WL/dinged at UCLA and USC or at best, get into USC with no $$.

With my stats I would really like to attend a T1 school but my SO is in LA...so far I'm only applying to UCLA and USC in SoCal though.

First off, not being a CA resident is NOT going to get you dinged at USC or UCLA. Second, yes Loyola is the next best school in the area AND should give you significant $$$ because of your stats. I think you should definitely apply to Loyola but think you are likely to get one of (or both) USC and UCLA.

LSP has you at Consider for UCLA and Admit for USC.

edit: p.s. can I pleasee have your lsat score :oops:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:15 pm

JJDancer wrote:I really want to attend LS in Los Angeles but I'm not a CA resident and fear that either I'll get WL/dinged at UCLA and USC or at best, get into USC with no $$.

If anything, not being a CA resident might help you at UCLA. They want your extra $.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:29 pm

I didn't mean I wouldn't get into UCLA/USC solely because I wasn't a resident but I know they end up having around 65-70% of their incoming class be from in-state correct? (don't know about acceptance rates obviously.)

I figure I have a pretty solid shot at USC but what chance do I have at a scholly?

Hopefully I can go up a few points on my Oct retake and hit 170-173 and have a chance at $$ at both UCLA and USC. That would be a tough decision I would love to be faced with.

PS: Thanks bk1 and LSPleaseeee (if I do better on my retake I would gladly give you my LSAT score, or at least tutor you!)
I didn't see your stats in your profile so have you taken the LSAT yet?

edit: thanks 1ferret as well for the insight and for bringing up pepperdine.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:32 pm

JJDancer wrote:I didn't mean I wouldn't get into UCLA/USC solely because I wasn't a resident but I know they end up having around 65-70% of their incoming class be from in-state correct? (don't know about acceptance rates obviously.)

I figure I have a pretty solid shot at USC but what chance do I have at a scholly?

Hopefully I can go up a few points on my Oct retake and hit 170-173 and have a chance at $$ at both UCLA and USC. That would be a tough decision I would love to be faced with.

PS: Thanks bk1 and LSPleaseeee (if I do better on my retake I would gladly give you my LSAT score, or at least tutor you!)
I didn't see your stats in your profile so have you taken the LSAT yet?

THe 65-70% in-state is probably mostly self-selection (if you want LA you go to school in LA...if you want somewhere else you don't go to LA if you have other good options). Since LSP has you at a straight up admit at USC I think you have a chance for some money (although I'm just guessing on that one). Perhaps someone with better knowledge of scholly's at USC can answer that one.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet...I'm taking in October and the way things are going right now your LSAT score would be my dream score haha :). Good luck on your retake! are you taking in LA?

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:37 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:the way things are going right now your LSAT score would be my dream score haha :).

I hear that.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:41 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:THe 65-70% in-state is probably mostly self-selection (if you want LA you go to school in LA...if you want somewhere else you don't go to LA if you have other good options). Since LSP has you at a straight up admit at USC I think you have a chance for some money (although I'm just guessing on that one). Perhaps someone with better knowledge of scholly's at USC can answer that one.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet...I'm taking in October and the way things are going right now your LSAT score would be my dream score haha :). Good luck on your retake! are you taking in LA?

Good luck to you as well! I'm a FL resident so I'll be taking it in SoFla instead of SoCal :)
I reaaallly haven't been studying enough though. :oops: And I haven't written my PS. :oops: And I have a 1 page resume finalized but I need a longer, more detailed one for schools that ask for it.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:48 pm

JJDancer wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:THe 65-70% in-state is probably mostly self-selection (if you want LA you go to school in LA...if you want somewhere else you don't go to LA if you have other good options). Since LSP has you at a straight up admit at USC I think you have a chance for some money (although I'm just guessing on that one). Perhaps someone with better knowledge of scholly's at USC can answer that one.

Good luck to you as well! I'm a FL resident so I'll be taking it in SoFla instead of SoCal :)
I reaaallly haven't been studying enough though. :oops: And I haven't written my PS. :oops: And I have a 1 page resume finalized but I need a longer, more detailed one for schools that ask for it.

We're very much on the same page then. I need to get off TLS right now and go study. Haven't written my PS (I'm planning on writing it while waiting for my score, I can't concentrate on that many things at once haha). I have a resume that I threw together for a professor who asked for it for an LOR...that will probably stay the same, maybe I'll change some stuff but ehhh it's not very impressive anyway.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Can I submit 2 LOR's and one evaluation to UCI? or do they only want LORs? It would be really cool if they let the evaluation thing count for 1

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:52 pm

OP: In case you weren't aware, LLS is the largest law school in California (barely edging out Hastings). LLS has more alums practicing law in Southern California than any other school. This makes a difference when looking for jobs.

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:33 pm

FlanAl wrote:Can I submit 2 LOR's and one evaluation to UCI? or do they only want LORs? It would be really cool if they let the evaluation thing count for 1

They want 3 LORs. It's their way of assessing an applicant as holistically as possible. I definitely suggest calling the admissions office, though, to ask specific questions about your situation. They're extremely friendly and informative.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:20 pm

JJDancer wrote:[img]

:? Weird. Did they submit apps late or something?

When are you planning on submitting apps JJ?

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Danteshek wrote:OP: In case you weren't aware, LLS is the largest law school in California (barely edging out Hastings). LLS has more alums practicing law in Southern California than any other school. This makes a difference when looking for jobs.

Oh stop trying to justify your transfer decision...
Yes, every barista in the valley is a Loyola alum :twisted: n...

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:33 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:

Well on LSN it says they submitted 11/14 so not late at ALL!
I'm planning on submitting USC/UCLA between 11/1 and 11/21.
I have a few that need to be done by Halloween-ish so doing those first.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:38 pm

JJDancer wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

Well you never know what that persons app was like. I still think you have a great chance at both schools (especially with a higher retake) and november isn't late.

Have you considered ED'ing at one? or do you really want to leave open the chance for schollys?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:52 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

Well you never know what that persons app was like. I still think you have a great chance at both schools (especially with a higher retake) and november isn't late.

Have you considered ED'ing at one? or do you really want to leave open the chance for schollys?

Yeah the statistical chance at those schools isn't bad, I'm just worried about worst case scenario like that person. Also all of their apps say 11/14 so maybe they didn't actually go complete that day? I did consider EDing to UCLA but decided I was not comfortable with that and definitely need money because I have about 80K in UG loans.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:52 pm

1ferret! wrote:
Danteshek wrote:OP: In case you weren't aware, LLS is the largest law school in California (barely edging out Hastings). LLS has more alums practicing law in Southern California than any other school. This makes a difference when looking for jobs.

Oh stop trying to justify your transfer decision...
Yes, every barista in the valley is a Loyola alum :twisted: n...

You're just mad because Ken Starr has left and taken most of Pep's lustre with him. Now you're back to being the weird conservofundie bootcamp with the gorgeous campus.

:P

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:40 am

Well at least Pepp's got undergrad girls running around (if not amuck).

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:02 am

JJDancer wrote:Image

Me too!

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:04 am

jtemp320 wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Image

Me too!

As far as numbers, yes it's scary. But we don't know what she wrote in her PS (i.e how terrible the PS and/or the rest of her application must have been).

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:10 am

Eesh. Id like to hope the rest of her application was sub par. If so, then it could mean that UCLA and USC care about more than just numbers..... :o .

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”