Californian Law Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:41 pm

FWIW, I've started at Loyola and I'm enjoying it thus far. The professors are all very approachable, and for the most part quite impressive. My section seems to get along. Regarding employment, I can only echo what was said above--the LA network is huge, but beyond that things may be dicier. It's the conventional wisdom that biglaw recruitment from LLS requires top 10% (or better some years) but beyond that I haven't heard much gloom and doom. Loyola's entering classes seem to have higher numbers every year--the rating made a huge jump in the 2010 list and with luck will continue to improve.

All that said, the sticker price is a bit upwards of $120k and people need to think very seriously about all of the issues at play ITE when making the choice to attend LLS.

Next year, or at least next semester, I can hopefully offer a little bit more of substance about the student experience.

florentine
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby florentine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Duralex wrote:FWIW, I've started at Loyola and I'm enjoying it thus far. The professors are all very approachable, and for the most part quite impressive. My section seems to get along. Regarding employment, I can only echo what was said above--the LA network is huge, but beyond that things may be dicier. It's the conventional wisdom that biglaw recruitment from LLS requires top 10% (or better some years) but beyond that I haven't heard much gloom and doom. Loyola's entering classes seem to have higher numbers every year--the rating made a huge jump in the 2010 list and with luck will continue to improve.

All that said, the sticker price is a bit upwards of $120k and people need to think very seriously about all of the issues at play ITE when making the choice to attend LLS.

Next year, or at least next semester, I can hopefully offer a little bit more of substance about the student experience.


Do you happen to know what the medians this year for LLS?

User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:44 pm

No, but I can ask.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Pleasye » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Duralex wrote:No, but I can ask.


I'd be interested in that too...I'm veryy interested in Loyola :)

User avatar
WonkyPanda
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:54 pm

What is the consensus around here about UCI as a law school? I know that is isn't ABA accredited yet so how does that affect job outlook? I've never considered UCI for that fact alone but you guys seem to regard it pretty highly; but, tossing 120k at a school that hasn't even established a reputation yet seems a bit crazy imo.

florentine
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby florentine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks duralex I appreciate that!!

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Pleasye » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:21 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:What is the consensus around here about UCI as a law school? I know that is isn't ABA accredited yet so how does that affect job outlook? I've never considered UCI for that fact alone but you guys seem to regard it pretty highly; but, tossing 120k at a school that hasn't even established a reputation yet seems a bit crazy imo.


I think the consensus is that once UCI is ranked it will be high up. The school and those working for it are working very hard to make sure that happens (meaning numbers are high, huge scholarships were given out to get people to go there, etc). Also, I don't know how true this is but I suppose (and have read others say this on here) that they will go to bat for their students to make sure that they have jobs. They are well aware that going there is a gamble for anyone so they want to make sure they have a good reason to get you there.

I don't know what the deal is for scholarships there this year but they gave full (pretty sure) and then 50% scholarships to those (everyone?) who attended the first year and last year.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:25 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:What is the consensus around here about UCI as a law school? I know that is isn't ABA accredited yet so how does that affect job outlook? I've never considered UCI for that fact alone but you guys seem to regard it pretty highly; but, tossing 120k at a school that hasn't even established a reputation yet seems a bit crazy imo.


I think the consensus is that once UCI is ranked it will be high up. The school and those working for it are working very hard to make sure that happens (meaning numbers are high, huge scholarships were given out to get people to go there, etc). Also, I don't know how true this is but I suppose (and have read others say this on here) that they will go to bat for their students to make sure that they have jobs. They are well aware that going there is a gamble for anyone so they want to make sure they have a good reason to get you there.

I don't know what the deal is for scholarships there this year but they gave full (pretty sure) and then 50% scholarships to those (everyone?) who attended the first year and last year.


I think free full rides for all 3 years for the inaugural class, and 50% rides idk how long for the 2nd class.

I could be wrong though, hopefully someone can clarify.

Edit: Looked it up- http://www.newuniversity.org/2010/01/ne ... holarship/.

Looks like 1st class got full rides all 3 years, 2nd class got 50% rides all 3 years.

User avatar
conroyc
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby conroyc » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Knockglock wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:What is the consensus around here about UCI as a law school? I know that is isn't ABA accredited yet so how does that affect job outlook? I've never considered UCI for that fact alone but you guys seem to regard it pretty highly; but, tossing 120k at a school that hasn't even established a reputation yet seems a bit crazy imo.


I think the consensus is that once UCI is ranked it will be high up. The school and those working for it are working very hard to make sure that happens (meaning numbers are high, huge scholarships were given out to get people to go there, etc). Also, I don't know how true this is but I suppose (and have read others say this on here) that they will go to bat for their students to make sure that they have jobs. They are well aware that going there is a gamble for anyone so they want to make sure they have a good reason to get you there.

I don't know what the deal is for scholarships there this year but they gave full (pretty sure) and then 50% scholarships to those (everyone?) who attended the first year and last year.


I think free full rides for all 3 years for the inaugural class, and 50% rides idk how long for the 2nd class.

I could be wrong though, hopefully someone can clarify.

Edit: Looked it up- http://www.newuniversity.org/2010/01/ne ... holarship/.

Looks like 1st class got full rides all 3 years, 2nd class got 50% rides all 3 years.


FWIW, I'm currently attending UCI as a 4th year, and have had two of the LS professors teach my undergrad classes (before the law school opened up). They were both very approachable and the classes were intriguing... Probably the two most enjoyable classes I've taken here. I may be a little bit biased, but I definitely plan on applying :D

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby yo! » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:56 pm

I've lived in Davis for about a month and I absolutely love it. With that said, the cost is high, so think long and hard about attending a UC law school (I did, and I'm happy with the choice). If it wasn't for my small scholarship and my wife covering COL, I would be even more nervous. I don't know many of the 2Ls yet, but I haven't heard any good news about people getting jobs through OCI (which I'm guessing is a bad thing.)

User avatar
arklogic
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby arklogic » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:00 am

Does CCN place into LA as well as UCLA does, if not better? What about specifically for IP?

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby FlanAl » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:04 am

Well Mr. Adams Kudos to you for both moving south and wanting to attend law school in California (both rather bold and commendable choices). I'm from Cali but did my undergrad in Scotland, and you guessed it 4 years was more than enough and I'm now applying to schools in warm sunny California and believe it or not I met tons of other Scots who really want to do Graduate studies out here, haha imagine that.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby FlanAl » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:20 am

http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

my guess would be that the 190 Chicago Grads are most likely in Biglaw not sure about the 3193 UCLA grads but I would guess only a small minority of them are on the back of the yellow pages.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:29 am

arklogic wrote:Does CCN place into LA as well as UCLA does, if not better? What about specifically for IP?


It is hard to tell due to the sheer amount of self-selection that comes from CCN. I don't think CCN would hinder your chances of getting into LA but it would give you a lot more backup options that UCLA wouldn't. That being said, if you can get into CCN, shouldn't a decent scholly at UCLA be in the picture? That throws a wrench in things.

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby uci2013 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:58 am

Just want to chime in as a 1L at UCI. It's only been a couple of weeks, but so far I remain impressed with the school. I encourage you to visit the school and to apply. I can't compare UCI to other law school experiences but I would be very surprised if other schools had professors as approachable as UCI's. I doubt you will have a better opportunity to learn and succeed and get this much attention anywhere else.

To give you some perspective, I sent an email to the Dean of Student Services on a Saturday morning not expecting to hear back until Monday morning, and I heard back within a few hours. I asked Dean Chemerinsky about a recent 9th circuit court ruling in the evening and he got back to me that same evening and asked me if I had any other questions about the case when I saw him in the courtyard the next day at lunch. At how many law schools will the Dean even know who you are the first week of class?

And my fellow classmates are smart and genuinely nice people. I am not going to lie, it's tough and there's a lot of work and there have been a few times I didn't think I could handle it (though both weeks once I've gotten past Wednesday it's been a sense of relief - our classes are very front-loaded with a lot of work M-W. A better time manager might be able to tackle more on the weekends than I have and spread out the load better). I suspect the workload would be tough no matter where I went. I have never had anyone tell me 1L was a piece of cake - everyone I know said it was very difficult and it is. But at least I am happy with where I am at, I like my professors and fellow students, and the environment at UCI makes it all not so bad - plus the Rec Center is amazing - just saying. . .

Regarding the 3rd LOR, I understand not wanting to deal with it. I do think it is worth it though. Think of it as your application fee. You can always have someone outside of academia write your third letter, like a former boss or volunteer coordinator write your letter. Or if you had a faculty adviser for an extra-curricular activity you were heavily involved in, they could write a letter as well. I agree the LORs can be a challenge - but worth it.

GL wherever you end up.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:54 am

uci2013 wrote:Just want to chime in as a 1L at UCI. It's only been a couple of weeks, but so far I remain impressed with the school. I encourage you to visit the school and to apply. I can't compare UCI to other law school experiences but I would be very surprised if other schools had professors as approachable as UCI's. I doubt you will have a better opportunity to learn and succeed and get this much attention anywhere else.

To give you some perspective, I sent an email to the Dean of Student Services on a Saturday morning not expecting to hear back until Monday morning, and I heard back within a few hours. I asked Dean Chemerinsky about a recent 9th circuit court ruling in the evening and he got back to me that same evening and asked me if I had any other questions about the case when I saw him in the courtyard the next day at lunch. At how many law schools will the Dean even know who you are the first week of class?

And my fellow classmates are smart and genuinely nice people. I am not going to lie, it's tough and there's a lot of work and there have been a few times I didn't think I could handle it (though both weeks once I've gotten past Wednesday it's been a sense of relief - our classes are very front-loaded with a lot of work M-W. A better time manager might be able to tackle more on the weekends than I have and spread out the load better). I suspect the workload would be tough no matter where I went. I have never had anyone tell me 1L was a piece of cake - everyone I know said it was very difficult and it is. But at least I am happy with where I am at, I like my professors and fellow students, and the environment at UCI makes it all not so bad - plus the Rec Center is amazing - just saying. . .

Regarding the 3rd LOR, I understand not wanting to deal with it. I do think it is worth it though. Think of it as your application fee. You can always have someone outside of academia write your third letter, like a former boss or volunteer coordinator write your letter. Or if you had a faculty adviser for an extra-curricular activity you were heavily involved in, they could write a letter as well. I agree the LORs can be a challenge - but worth it.

GL wherever you end up.


FWIW, as nice as having great faculty and atmosphere is, all I really care about are job prospects. Maybe UCI will do well, maybe it won't. We'll see, though I think it will do decently I am not sure how it will stack up to other schools.

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby hijodehombre » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:17 am

uci2013 wrote:Just want to chime in as a 1L at UCI. It's only been a couple of weeks, but so far I remain impressed with the school. I encourage you to visit the school and to apply. I can't compare UCI to other law school experiences but I would be very surprised if other schools had professors as approachable as UCI's. I doubt you will have a better opportunity to learn and succeed and get this much attention anywhere else.

To give you some perspective, I sent an email to the Dean of Student Services on a Saturday morning not expecting to hear back until Monday morning, and I heard back within a few hours. I asked Dean Chemerinsky about a recent 9th circuit court ruling in the evening and he got back to me that same evening and asked me if I had any other questions about the case when I saw him in the courtyard the next day at lunch. At how many law schools will the Dean even know who you are the first week of class?

And my fellow classmates are smart and genuinely nice people. I am not going to lie, it's tough and there's a lot of work and there have been a few times I didn't think I could handle it (though both weeks once I've gotten past Wednesday it's been a sense of relief - our classes are very front-loaded with a lot of work M-W. A better time manager might be able to tackle more on the weekends than I have and spread out the load better). I suspect the workload would be tough no matter where I went. I have never had anyone tell me 1L was a piece of cake - everyone I know said it was very difficult and it is. But at least I am happy with where I am at, I like my professors and fellow students, and the environment at UCI makes it all not so bad - plus the Rec Center is amazing - just saying. . .

Regarding the 3rd LOR, I understand not wanting to deal with it. I do think it is worth it though. Think of it as your application fee. You can always have someone outside of academia write your third letter, like a former boss or volunteer coordinator write your letter. Or if you had a faculty adviser for an extra-curricular activity you were heavily involved in, they could write a letter as well. I agree the LORs can be a challenge - but worth it.

GL wherever you end up.


thanks for the input. i hear good things about the anthill pub, too

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Danteshek » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:10 am

2L transfer at Loyola here. I can answer any questions anyone has about the school or Law Review (just starting as a staffer)

User avatar
MrAdams
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby MrAdams » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:55 am

Kudos to you too FlanAl for studying an undergrad half way around the world, must have taken a tonne of commitment. You are right though - when its time to leave, its time to leave. I think it is fairly easy to objectively justify the opinion that California is a superior place to be than Scotland. Every time I am over there though everyone tells me how much they'd love to live in Scotland/Europe which leaves me with my face thoroughly embedded in my palm each time. Where are you studying?

UCI is pretty risky, despite how impressive the school sounds on paper and how well I think I'd fit there, I have yet to find anyone with good idea of the employability of its students. As the scholarships dropped a hefty amount last year, students applying for the coming fall will no likely have a substantial bill to pay without knowing whether it is a valid investment or not. Saying that, UCI could become a wonder school and make it even tougher for Loyola students to find placements in LA. It seems like a throw of the dice.

ViP
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby ViP » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:05 pm

MrAdams wrote:Kudos to you too FlanAl for studying an undergrad half way around the world, must have taken a tonne of commitment. You are right though - when its time to leave, its time to leave. I think it is fairly easy to objectively justify the opinion that California is a superior place to be than Scotland. Every time I am over there though everyone tells me how much they'd love to live in Scotland/Europe which leaves me with my face thoroughly embedded in my palm each time. Where are you studying?

UCI is pretty risky, despite how impressive the school sounds on paper and how well I think I'd fit there, I have yet to find anyone with good idea of the employability of its students. As the scholarships dropped a hefty amount last year, students applying for the coming fall will no likely have a substantial bill to pay without knowing whether it is a valid investment or not. Saying that, UCI could become a wonder school and make it even tougher for Loyola students to find placements in LA. It seems like a throw of the dice.



Just FYI, the faculty and administration at UCI laughs hysterically every time someone mentions the word "risk." First, our incredible professors left tenured positions at top programs in order to join UCI. They wouldn't make such a move if they viewed it as a risk. Second, the program has received (and continues to receive) massive support from the Orange County community. At orientation every student met his/her respective mentor (a local attorney from the area), and the mentors assured us that the community's excitement over UCI is no exaggeration. The entire first year class landed jobs last summer (many of them were paid jobs, and many of the students had multiple jobs).

Having said that, keep in mind that the above primarily applies to the Orange County market. The further away you search, the harder it will be to land an immediate job (although most of the firms/organizations in the area have offices across the nation, and judges across the nation have already asked Dean Chemerinsky to send over some UCI students for clerkships... and the Dean has had to clarify that we don't exactly have any graduates yet). The pull of our Dean is immeasurable.

Anyways, the application is free, so I don't see any reason to not apply. Let me know if you have any questions.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:28 pm

ViP wrote:
MrAdams wrote:Kudos to you too FlanAl for studying an undergrad half way around the world, must have taken a tonne of commitment. You are right though - when its time to leave, its time to leave. I think it is fairly easy to objectively justify the opinion that California is a superior place to be than Scotland. Every time I am over there though everyone tells me how much they'd love to live in Scotland/Europe which leaves me with my face thoroughly embedded in my palm each time. Where are you studying?

UCI is pretty risky, despite how impressive the school sounds on paper and how well I think I'd fit there, I have yet to find anyone with good idea of the employability of its students. As the scholarships dropped a hefty amount last year, students applying for the coming fall will no likely have a substantial bill to pay without knowing whether it is a valid investment or not. Saying that, UCI could become a wonder school and make it even tougher for Loyola students to find placements in LA. It seems like a throw of the dice.



Just FYI, the faculty and administration at UCI laughs hysterically every time someone mentions the word "risk." First, our incredible professors left tenured positions at top programs in order to join UCI. They wouldn't make such a move if they viewed it as a risk. Second, the program has received (and continues to receive) massive support from the Orange County community. At orientation every student met his/her respective mentor (a local attorney from the area), and the mentors assured us that the community's excitement over UCI is no exaggeration. The entire first year class landed jobs last summer (many of them were paid jobs, and many of the students had multiple jobs).

Having said that, keep in mind that the above primarily applies to the Orange County market. The further away you search, the harder it will be to land an immediate job (although most of the firms/organizations in the area have offices across the nation, and judges across the nation have already asked Dean Chemerinsky to send over some UCI students for clerkships... and the Dean has had to clarify that we don't exactly have any graduates yet). The pull of our Dean is immeasurable.

Anyways, the application is free, so I don't see any reason to not apply. Let me know if you have any questions.


It sounds like everyone is really dedicated to the school...now if it weren't for that 3rd LOR....

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Knock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:38 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
ViP wrote:
MrAdams wrote:Kudos to you too FlanAl for studying an undergrad half way around the world, must have taken a tonne of commitment. You are right though - when its time to leave, its time to leave. I think it is fairly easy to objectively justify the opinion that California is a superior place to be than Scotland. Every time I am over there though everyone tells me how much they'd love to live in Scotland/Europe which leaves me with my face thoroughly embedded in my palm each time. Where are you studying?

UCI is pretty risky, despite how impressive the school sounds on paper and how well I think I'd fit there, I have yet to find anyone with good idea of the employability of its students. As the scholarships dropped a hefty amount last year, students applying for the coming fall will no likely have a substantial bill to pay without knowing whether it is a valid investment or not. Saying that, UCI could become a wonder school and make it even tougher for Loyola students to find placements in LA. It seems like a throw of the dice.



Just FYI, the faculty and administration at UCI laughs hysterically every time someone mentions the word "risk." First, our incredible professors left tenured positions at top programs in order to join UCI. They wouldn't make such a move if they viewed it as a risk. Second, the program has received (and continues to receive) massive support from the Orange County community. At orientation every student met his/her respective mentor (a local attorney from the area), and the mentors assured us that the community's excitement over UCI is no exaggeration. The entire first year class landed jobs last summer (many of them were paid jobs, and many of the students had multiple jobs).

Having said that, keep in mind that the above primarily applies to the Orange County market. The further away you search, the harder it will be to land an immediate job (although most of the firms/organizations in the area have offices across the nation, and judges across the nation have already asked Dean Chemerinsky to send over some UCI students for clerkships... and the Dean has had to clarify that we don't exactly have any graduates yet). The pull of our Dean is immeasurable.

Anyways, the application is free, so I don't see any reason to not apply. Let me know if you have any questions.


It sounds like everyone is really dedicated to the school...now if it weren't for that 3rd LOR....


My exact thoughts :P.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby Pleasye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Knockglock wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
ViP wrote:
MrAdams wrote:Kudos to you too FlanAl for studying an undergrad half way around the world, must have taken a tonne of commitment. You are right though - when its time to leave, its time to leave. I think it is fairly easy to objectively justify the opinion that California is a superior place to be than Scotland. Every time I am over there though everyone tells me how much they'd love to live in Scotland/Europe which leaves me with my face thoroughly embedded in my palm each time. Where are you studying?

UCI is pretty risky, despite how impressive the school sounds on paper and how well I think I'd fit there, I have yet to find anyone with good idea of the employability of its students. As the scholarships dropped a hefty amount last year, students applying for the coming fall will no likely have a substantial bill to pay without knowing whether it is a valid investment or not. Saying that, UCI could become a wonder school and make it even tougher for Loyola students to find placements in LA. It seems like a throw of the dice.



Just FYI, the faculty and administration at UCI laughs hysterically every time someone mentions the word "risk." First, our incredible professors left tenured positions at top programs in order to join UCI. They wouldn't make such a move if they viewed it as a risk. Second, the program has received (and continues to receive) massive support from the Orange County community. At orientation every student met his/her respective mentor (a local attorney from the area), and the mentors assured us that the community's excitement over UCI is no exaggeration. The entire first year class landed jobs last summer (many of them were paid jobs, and many of the students had multiple jobs).

Having said that, keep in mind that the above primarily applies to the Orange County market. The further away you search, the harder it will be to land an immediate job (although most of the firms/organizations in the area have offices across the nation, and judges across the nation have already asked Dean Chemerinsky to send over some UCI students for clerkships... and the Dean has had to clarify that we don't exactly have any graduates yet). The pull of our Dean is immeasurable.

Anyways, the application is free, so I don't see any reason to not apply. Let me know if you have any questions.


It sounds like everyone is really dedicated to the school...now if it weren't for that 3rd LOR....


My exact thoughts :P.


I knew you would agree with me :) ...I kind of think you should get a 3rd one though because your chances there will be really good. I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it for me because I'm not sure if I'll have a good shot.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Not to be presumptuous but if KG was applying to every school where his chances were really good he would be applying to all 200 of them.

User avatar
lennonist
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Californian Law Schools

Postby lennonist » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:54 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
ViP wrote:
MrAdams wrote:Kudos to you too FlanAl for studying an undergrad half way around the world, must have taken a tonne of commitment. You are right though - when its time to leave, its time to leave. I think it is fairly easy to objectively justify the opinion that California is a superior place to be than Scotland. Every time I am over there though everyone tells me how much they'd love to live in Scotland/Europe which leaves me with my face thoroughly embedded in my palm each time. Where are you studying?

UCI is pretty risky, despite how impressive the school sounds on paper and how well I think I'd fit there, I have yet to find anyone with good idea of the employability of its students. As the scholarships dropped a hefty amount last year, students applying for the coming fall will no likely have a substantial bill to pay without knowing whether it is a valid investment or not. Saying that, UCI could become a wonder school and make it even tougher for Loyola students to find placements in LA. It seems like a throw of the dice.



Just FYI, the faculty and administration at UCI laughs hysterically every time someone mentions the word "risk." First, our incredible professors left tenured positions at top programs in order to join UCI. They wouldn't make such a move if they viewed it as a risk. Second, the program has received (and continues to receive) massive support from the Orange County community. At orientation every student met his/her respective mentor (a local attorney from the area), and the mentors assured us that the community's excitement over UCI is no exaggeration. The entire first year class landed jobs last summer (many of them were paid jobs, and many of the students had multiple jobs).

Having said that, keep in mind that the above primarily applies to the Orange County market. The further away you search, the harder it will be to land an immediate job (although most of the firms/organizations in the area have offices across the nation, and judges across the nation have already asked Dean Chemerinsky to send over some UCI students for clerkships... and the Dean has had to clarify that we don't exactly have any graduates yet). The pull of our Dean is immeasurable.

Anyways, the application is free, so I don't see any reason to not apply. Let me know if you have any questions.


It sounds like everyone is really dedicated to the school...now if it weren't for that 3rd LOR....


I have 4 LORs. Wish I could sell one, haha!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests