Californian Law Schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hijodehombre

Bronze

Re: Californian Law Schools

Post by hijodehombre » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:57 pm

I don't really care if I end up in SoCal or NorCal so I'm applying to UCLA, USC, UCD, UCH, UCI, Loyola and USD. I don't think Pepperdine would be a good fit for me, but I'm suprised few people have even mentioned it.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:04 pm

hijodehombre wrote:I don't really care if I end up in SoCal or NorCal so I'm applying to UCLA, USC, UCD, UCH, UCI, Loyola and USD. I don't think Pepperdine would be a good fit for me, but I'm suprised few people have even mentioned it.
my impression is that Pepperdine is not as generous with scholarships as Loyola and USD. There's no good reason to choose P over either of these two unless it is cheaper, which is not often in my experience.

the location is not ideal either, especially if you have a significant other

MrAdams

New

Post by MrAdams » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Edit: actually, my comments on Pepperdine are not really necessary, but yeah, not for me.

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Knockglock wrote:
lennonist wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
florentine wrote:Hey guys I'm glad this topic was started! I'm looking mainly at California schools like UCLA, USC, Loyola, Pepperdine, SCU, and UCH. I have a 3.67 and am scoring in the mid-160's right now but looking to hit high 160's. What are your stats?
Sweet! Good luck to you. I took the June LSAT and got 171, and my GPA is slightly above 3.8.
Good job! Berkeley would absolutely love to have you based on your stats. :D
Thank you :). Yeah Berkeley is pretty high on my list. I don't know if I could pass on a CCN acceptance for it though :(. Even though I'd prefer to stay in California.
I understand what you mean. However, if you want to practice in CA, why pay more for CCN (private tuition, out-of-state fees, winter clothes, etc) when you can go to Boalt for much less money?

I'd pick CCN because I don't mind practicing in NY/DC (and have been in CA for way too long).

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:19 pm

MrAdams wrote:From what I have been told in person by graduate recruiters from magic and silver circle firms and US firms (essentially what you guys consider 'biglaw' I think) in London, they consider a wide variety of factors other than which school you come from when handing out jobs, and so, as long as you excel you've got a shout. I come from a non-red brick school here in the UK and I have been entertained by some of the biggest firms in the world, including the biggest. I am sure it is the same in California.

Depending on my LSAT, I might punt a shot at Loyola given the replies here.

No-one giving Stanford a shot? I heard they are the most open of all the schools, looking at your application as a whole instead of focusing on LSAT/GPA?
I'm going to shoot Stanford an application. We'll see what happens.
I understand what you mean. However, if you want to practice in CA, why pay more for CCN (private tuition, out-of-state fees, winter clothes, etc) when you can go to Boalt for much less money?

I'd pick CCN because I don't mind practicing in NY/DC (and have been in CA for way too long).
I don't think Berkeley is that much cheaper anymore, since they've been raising there fees a lot in the past couple of years. If Boalt was significant cheaper it might sway my decision, but since they seem pretty comparable, minus COL, and I think there's a decent boost in employment prospects from CCN to B, I can't really justify choosing B over CCN, unless I get a lot of money I suppose. I don't know i'm not putting anything in stone by any means at this point. That's just my early feelings so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Knockglock wrote:
MrAdams wrote:From what I have been told in person by graduate recruiters from magic and silver circle firms and US firms (essentially what you guys consider 'biglaw' I think) in London, they consider a wide variety of factors other than which school you come from when handing out jobs, and so, as long as you excel you've got a shout. I come from a non-red brick school here in the UK and I have been entertained by some of the biggest firms in the world, including the biggest. I am sure it is the same in California.

Depending on my LSAT, I might punt a shot at Loyola given the replies here.

No-one giving Stanford a shot? I heard they are the most open of all the schools, looking at your application as a whole instead of focusing on LSAT/GPA?
I'm going to shoot Stanford an application. We'll see what happens.

I don't think Berkeley is that much cheaper anymore, since they've been raising there fees a lot in the past couple of years. If Boalt was significant cheaper it might sway my decision, but since they seem pretty comparable, minus COL, and I think there's a decent boost in employment prospects from CCN to B, I can't really justify choosing B over CCN, unless I get a lot of money I suppose. I don't know i'm not putting anything in stone by any means at this point. That's just my early feelings so far.
Employment-wise, it all depends on what type of law you wanna do. If it's not IP or Environmental, go with CCN, all else being equal.

BTW how much IS Berkeley in tuition? TLS says ~36,000 (for in-state). CCN is ~45,000. Are these updated?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:27 pm

instate berkeley this year is $44,000. Davis 40k, Hastings 39. I believe UCLA is in the 40-42k range.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:27 pm

California school of law online. Two online classes per week, 1 hour long. You could sit through all the classes on the John while taking a shit. and spend the rest of your free time pursuing a different career.

You don't even have to apply, they sent me an acceptance e-mail last month!

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 pm

General Tso wrote:instate berkeley this year is $44,000. Davis 40k, Hastings 39. I believe UCLA is in the 40-42k range.
Jesus Christ. Outrageous tuition increases! CCN wins.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:32 pm

lennonist wrote:
General Tso wrote:instate berkeley this year is $44,000. Davis 40k, Hastings 39. I believe UCLA is in the 40-42k range.
Jesus Christ. Outrageous tuition increases! CCN wins.
well, in my case Hastings matched the increase with a grant. so my tuition is essentially locked in at 32k where I started off. but yeah, this year's students and thereafter are f'd

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Berkeley is super nice, I went and visited campus a month ago. They have parking spots reserved for nobel laureates.

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:36 pm

thegor1987 wrote:California school of law online. Two online classes per week, 1 hour long. You could sit through all the classes on the John while taking a shit. and spend the rest of your free time pursuing a different career.

Yea but is it splitter friendly?

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Marionberry wrote:Berkeley is super nice, I went and visited campus a month ago. They have parking spots reserved for nobel laureates.
i worked in Boalt law library and it's not nearly as nice as the UCLA law library, for instance. Plus, stupid frats like SAE are right across from Boalt - the last thing law students buried in the library need is a reminder (both visual and audio) of undergrads having a life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrAdams

New

Post by MrAdams » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Knockglock wrote:Ehh, I won't apply to UCI then. Any school that requires 3 LOR is not a school I want to attend. Yeah I like SF, although I don't know if I'd want to live in the city, i'd much prefer the suburbs.
I don't really understand your reasoning here. From what I have read, UCI sounds like an incredible new school and three references are not hard to acquire. I am going to apply to the school because its free to apply and I think I would fit in very well there, but given how long the school has been in existence it is perhaps a risky risky move, for me especially, to take on a place there.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:47 pm

MrAdams wrote:
Knockglock wrote:Ehh, I won't apply to UCI then. Any school that requires 3 LOR is not a school I want to attend. Yeah I like SF, although I don't know if I'd want to live in the city, i'd much prefer the suburbs.
I don't really understand your reasoning here. From what I have read, UCI sounds like an incredible new school and three references are not hard to acquire. I am going to apply to the school because its free to apply and I think I would fit in very well there, but given how long the school has been in existence it is perhaps a risky risky move, for me especially, to take on a place there.
I only contacted two profs for LORs since that's what most schools require. I just don't think there is anything schools could find out from 3 letters that they couldn't do with two. Plus i go to a large state school so it isn't he easiest thing ever to get LORs. I suppose i could get one from an employer.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:03 pm

hijodehombre wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:California school of law online. Two online classes per week, 1 hour long. You could sit through all the classes on the John while taking a shit. and spend the rest of your free time pursuing a different career.

Yea but is it splitter friendly?
I think they could do that for you, what's your split, No undergrad/LSAT, or no LSAT/undergrad?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey thought I'd chime in to talk about how confusing the legal market in San Diego is. From very unscientific research it looks like the Biglaw branches hire people from schools all over the place. Mostly T14 and USD but there really doesn't seem to be any preference for USC or UCLA over Hastings or Davis. I'd guess this is mostly due to SC and LA grads wanting to stay in LA and Davis and Hastings grabbing jobs wherever.

Mr. Adams you should look into what sort of credit different schools will give you for your LLB. Not sure about Cali schools but I am pretty sure Penn let you do your JD in two years if you have the LLB. Also judging by your avatar, isn't it kinda strange you're not doing scots law.

And out of curiosity aren't red brick institutions newer ones?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Ok so I go to UG in LA and while UCLA and USC have the most pull in LA, Loyola is not lagging too far behind and Loyola grads do find work in LA if they are doing well in their classes

MrAdams

New

Post by MrAdams » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:49 pm

FlanAl wrote:Mr. Adams you should look into what sort of credit different schools will give you for your LLB. Not sure about Cali schools but I am pretty sure Penn let you do your JD in two years if you have the LLB. Also judging by your avatar, isn't it kinda strange you're not doing scots law.

And out of curiosity aren't red brick institutions newer ones?
Ha, yes, you are right. I thought for a second "why is he talking about red bricks?"... I was clearly preoccupied before. I meant the usual Oxbridge/Edinburgh(even though their law school is terrible ha!)/Imp etc. Scots law is terrible,... I didn't want to study it because I didn't want to be stuck in Scotland. Binding gratuitous promises - pah! All their good cases come to the House of Lords/Supreme Court anyway. Plus, the competitiveness of Scots law makes American law look like a come one come all system. My goal has always been to study in California, so I made sure my options were open by studying English law.

I have many close friends in Mid State CA; it's where I want to be, I love the state. I also love studying law and mooting. Therefore, I haven't looked into any other schools than CA LS's and I am not aware of any CA LS's having 2 year J.D programs for LLB students. If Penn does have a 2 year J.D program for LLB students then that is pretty ace, but massively inconvenient.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Knockglock wrote:
MrAdams wrote:
I only contacted two profs for LORs since that's what most schools require. I just don't think there is anything schools could find out from 3 letters that they couldn't do with two. Plus i go to a large state school so it isn't he easiest thing ever to get LORs. I suppose i could get one from an employer.
I know what you mean Knock...I don't feel like getting another LOR now that I'm finally done with that part (I specifically got two because it would meet all my schools requirements)...I don't know if I'll be applying to Irvine

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:55 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
MrAdams wrote:
I know what you mean Knock...I don't feel like getting another LOR now that I'm finally done with that part (I specifically got two because it would meet all my schools requirements)...I don't know if I'll be applying to Irvine
Yeah, i'm having enough trouble just getting two in. It's the main thing holding up my applications lol. Don't want to have to worry about one more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:56 pm

hijodehombre wrote:I don't really care if I end up in SoCal or NorCal so I'm applying to UCLA, USC, UCD, UCH, UCI, Loyola and USD. I don't think Pepperdine would be a good fit for me, but I'm suprised few people have even mentioned it.
I don't think Pepperdine would be a good fit for me either (I don't think it's a fit for manyy people). I think it hasn't really been mentioned because when it comes to placement in LA Loyola does better and is more recognized even though Pepperdine is ranked higher.

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:40 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
I don't think Pepperdine would be a good fit for me either (I don't think it's a fit for manyy people). I think it hasn't really been mentioned because when it comes to placement in LA Loyola does better and is more recognized even though Pepperdine is ranked higher.
Well if you want to go into Dispute Resolution then Pepperdine is the place for you. I think it is or used to be the top school for dispute resolution...

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:51 pm

florentine wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
Well if you want to go into Dispute Resolution then Pepperdine is the place for you. I think it is or used to be the top school for dispute resolution...
I don't think that's what I want to do...and I'm also going to pick the school that gives me the best employment prospects in general, not a school that might teach me how to do one thing.

hijodehombre

Bronze

Post by hijodehombre » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm

florentine wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
This is a really good point, but it wouldn't be a good fit for me personally (and for others, I'm sure) for ideological reasons. Still, you bring up a good point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”