which of HYS is most splitter-friendly? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Gold

Re: which of HYS is most splitter-friendly?

Post by 094320 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:29 am

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:38 am

Sentry wrote:Don't get your hopes up too much until you get an actual LSAT. I was PTing at 175 and Knockglock was PTing at around 178. We got a 172 and 171 respectively.
+10000000000000. PT average does not equal actual LSAT score. Even if you have a history of being good w/ standardized exams, even if you excel under pressure/stress, please don't count on it being the same for the LSAT - it's really not like anything you've ever taken before. I learned it the hard way when I took the LSAT for the first time.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:47 pm

I was PTing testing in the mid 170s. I hit the upper range of my PT average on test day. It's entirely possible to hit your avg on test day but definitely not a given.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:50 pm

kazu wrote:
Sentry wrote:Don't get your hopes up too much until you get an actual LSAT. I was PTing at 175 and Knockglock was PTing at around 178. We got a 172 and 171 respectively.
+10000000000000. PT average does not equal actual LSAT score. Even if you have a history of being good w/ standardized exams, even if you excel under pressure/stress, please don't count on it being the same for the LSAT - it's really not like anything you've ever taken before. I learned it the hard way when I took the LSAT for the first time.
What if I've already taken the LSAT before? :D

I know you were responding to the OP. But do you think retakers have a mental advantage?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Adjudicator wrote: What if I've already taken the LSAT before? :D

I know you were responding to the OP. But do you think retakers have a mental advantage?
Maybe a bit because they know what it is like. I don't think my retake had a mental advantage because I needed that better score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
kazu wrote:
What if I've already taken the LSAT before? :D

Nope, well maybe... i misread a rule the 2nd time taking the LSAT and got the same score as my 1st time, again about 3~4 points below PT average, but it turns out it didn't affect my applications anyways

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:08 pm

I scored according my average, but during the real test I always felt like I was teetering on the edge of collapse--one game I couldn't get, or a passage where I drew blank, and the floods would flow. If I wanted to cite a cause for why it didn't happen--it might have been luck is a perfectly plausible explanation, to be honest--it would be habituation. Once I started hitting my scores I simply kept doing tests over and over and over, to the point of excess. By the time the test came, I was in auto-pilot. It helped that I took time off of my work for the two weeks prior to the exam; on test day, the test was second nature.

Like I said, it is an anecdote and it is entirely possible I lucked out by hitting my average on test day. But don't fall into the trap of hitting 3 or 4 of your target scores and then thinking the work is done (not saying that is what others did, mind you...).

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm going to go on the record as the first to say that calling a 3.58/177 a "splitter" is pretty silly. Thats's not a "split"--those are just good numbers.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:10 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Renzo wrote:I'm going to go on the record as the first to say that calling a 3.58/177 a "splitter" is pretty silly. Thats's not a "split"--those are just good numbers.
Not at YHS, where the GPA is damning. There's school-specific splitters which follows the general definition of LSAT above 75% and GPA below 25%. I think a general splitter is the extreme where you split at most schools.
I guess. I'm just skeptical of the idea that people who might "only" get into a T10 (maybe T6) school need special attention.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Renzo wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Renzo wrote:I'm going to go on the record as the first to say that calling a 3.58/177 a "splitter" is pretty silly. Thats's not a "split"--those are just good numbers.
Not at YHS, where the GPA is damning. There's school-specific splitters which follows the general definition of LSAT above 75% and GPA below 25%. I think a general splitter is the extreme where you split at most schools.
I guess. I'm just skeptical of the idea that people who might "only" get into a T10 (maybe T6) school need special attention.
I didn't expect or ask for sympathy or "special attention." I asked a question about HYS because I want to know about HYS. While 3.58 isn't objectively a low GPA, it certainly is for HYS.

EDIT: I don't mean to be too defensive, I'm just well aware that people who "complain" about their 170s or 3.6 GPAs can be frustrating. I realize I'm very lucky to have these numbers and am thankful. I hope my OP didn't come off as being ungrateful or whiny, I just want to know which of these three I have the best shot at.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:48 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
Renzo wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
I didn't expect or ask for sympathy or "special attention." I asked a question about HYS because I want to know about HYS. While 3.58 isn't objectively a low GPA, it certainly is for HYS.

EDIT: I don't mean to be too defensive, I'm just well aware that people who "complain" about their 170s or 3.6 GPAs can be frustrating. I realize I'm very lucky to have these numbers and am thankful. I hope my OP didn't come off as being ungrateful or whiny, I just want to know which of these three I have the best shot at.
Not lucky. I don't think luck can get you 177.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:50 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
Renzo wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

Don't feel too bad I was asking almost the exact same questions 6 months ago. My advice for the LSAT is be confident in your first answers. I changed 3 answers from right to wrong and went from a 175 to a 172. So my advice is to trust your feelings Luke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:07 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
And I hope I don't come across as too much of a curmudgeon. I'm not attacking you or your question, just saying that your numbers are less the wild-card that a 3.2/175 would be.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Renzo wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
And I hope I don't come across as too much of a curmudgeon. I'm not attacking you or your question, just saying that your numbers are less the wild-card that a 3.2/175 would be.
Not as much doesn't mean he isn't a wildcard.

If you don't think his gpa/lsat qualifies him as a splitter at HYS, you are completely out of your mind.

And since he wasn't asking about any schools other than HYS, you have absolutely no reason to be reacting the way you are.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:22 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Renzo wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:
Not as much doesn't mean he isn't a wildcard.

If you don't think his gpa/lsat qualifies him as a splitter at HYS, you are completely out of your mind.

And since he wasn't asking about any schools other than HYS, you have absolutely no reason to be reacting the way you are.
I would agree with Renzo in that being a splitter means great LSAT and low gpa. There is no HYS splitter because at HYS there are no splitters. Everyone at HYS has a great gpa and great LSAT.

redsox4lyfe

New

Post by redsox4lyfe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by redsox4lyfe on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:58 pm

redsox4lyfe wrote:I tend to agree with Renzo based solely on the amount of skepticism that people are throwing at that 3.58. I would guess Stanford/Yale is less chance, but there are a LOT of spots at Harvard. A lot.
Umm, a 3.58 reduces your chances to Harvard to under 5% for almost every single applicant unless you are URM/ incredible softs... in fact H put even more of an emphasis on GPAs last year and had a soft GPA floor at around 3.8, making it difficult for even ~3.77, 176+ types to get in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”